What is Eastern Arc?

When does Team Summit start, and how many days does it run. I am interested because from what I read here they will probably introduce the new 1000.4 EA dish, and hopefully they will give some details on a time table for implementation? Scott I assume you will be updating us on what is going on at Team Summit?

Eastern Arc is a new configuration that DISH is gearing up on. So far, it will consist of service offered from the 61.5 orbital slot. It should also include service from 72.7 in the future as DISH has negotiated broadcast rights from that location from its owners, TeleSat of Canada. Speculation includes the possibility of broadcasts coming from the 77 orbital slot, but that is not a real certainty.

Eastern Arc will be different in that it will be an all MPEG4 service possibly using an 8psk modulation scheme which means excellent efficiency in delivering channels, so a greater channel capacity will be realized. For many customers who currently need a dish at 110/119 and at 61.5 for HD, this will permit the ability to have a single dish pointed at the Southeastern sky instead of two separate dishes.

It is foreseeable that DISH may gradually transition customers over to using Eastern Arc or a future Western Arc (148 + others) that can be MPEG4 8PSK as well, leaving 110/119 to be for the MPEG2 systems until such time that a full conversion of old customers is financially reasonable, facilitating an all MPEG4 service from three different Arcs.
Estern Arc....Hopefully the elimination of 90% of all no line of sight calls....I hate leaving a job I can do if not for obstructions...

I should add now that since DISH has debuted their 1000.4 dish and it is set up for 72.7, 77, and 61.5, it's pretty much a certainty that Eastern Arc will consist of all three of those locations. The dish is about the same size as a 500+ dish and uses the same mounting bracket.

Is there currently anything on 72.7 and 77, and if not when do you think they will start using those locations?

Since the 1000.4 is about the same size as the 500+, I would say it requires strut arms as the 500+ is currently shipped with support arms.

DISH doesn't have a satellite at 72.7 yet, they are waiting FCC approval to broadcast from that location. They have an agreement with the Canadian broadcaster TeleSat who has the rights to broadcast from that location. FCC just has to recognize the agreement and say yet. DISH has a satellite at 77 for service into Mexico. Not much is known about that location. However, DISH is seeking permission to broadcast into the US using that location.

will EA and the launch of Ciel for WA be enough to compete with D's D11? or will we be playing catchup for a while?

They just added 20 hd channels not available yet on the wing sats. That should even the score with Directv or maybe even surpass them, till next year when more sats launch.

don't know if some one does know when the EA dish will be out but i sure want one!

Well the key part of the EA will be when the FCC approves the movement of E6 to 72.7. Nothing can happen with EA until the FCC gives its approval. Then it will probably take a few weeks to 2 months to move E6 over to 72.7. Then of course they will have to do some testing and start uplinking. September 1st would probably be a realistic date... Of course they could start installing dishes before then, but it is really hard to know that a dish will work without at least 2 of the 3 satellites locations to aim with.

Well the key part of the EA will be when the FCC approves the movement of E6 to 72.7. Nothing can happen with EA until the FCC gives its approval. Then it will probably take a few weeks to 2 months to move E6 over to 72.7. Then of course they will have to do some testing and start uplinking. September 1st would probably be a realistic date... Of course they could start installing dishes before then, but it is really hard to know that a dish will work without at least 2 of the 3 satellites locations to aim with.

So is 77 good to go? It is just 72.7 that needs to be moved, right?

So is 77 good to go? It is just 72.7 that needs to be moved, right?
No, the sat at 77 is in bad shape. It is just a placeholder for now. I think it only has 4 working TP's. Look for another sat to be moved there after E6 is in place at 72.7.

No, the sat at 77 is in bad shape. It is just a placeholder for now. I think it only has 4 working TP's. Look for another sat to be moved there after E6 is in place at 72.7.

OK, thanks Voyager6. I am going to install two more coax from the switch to my dish 500 antenna 61.5 position to be ready for the new dish whenever it comes out.

Dish currently does not have another satellite for 77. Since AMC-14 did not make it to orbit, they are out of spare capacity. It is possible they could move E8 to 77 if they get E11 to orbit. Right now it looks like EA will have to live on 28 TPs on 61.5 and 16 TPs on 72.7.

Dish currently does not have another satellite for 77. Since AMC-14 did not make it to orbit, they are out of spare capacity. It is possible they could move E8 to 77 if they get E11 to orbit. Right now it looks like EA will have to live on 28 TPs on 61.5 and 16 TPs on 72.7.

Is it still a goal of Dish to have Eastern and Western Arc identical with the exception of International and locals? I read it someplace.

Is it still a goal of Dish to have Eastern and Western Arc identical with the exception of International and locals? I read it someplace.

They really do not have much of a choice about it at this time. There are areas of the country (NE, S. FL, S. TX, etc) that cannot see 129, there are also areas (esp out west) that cannot see 61.5 (or will not have spot capacity on 61.5 for locals).

They do not currently, or have presented plans for the future where they do not have channels duplicated between the two systems. The main difference will be that the EA only has MPEG-4. It could be that some of the standard definition channels could end up looking better on EA since they would be using MPEG-4.

They really do not have much of a choice about it at this time. There are areas of the country (NE, S. FL, S. TX, etc) that cannot see 129, there are also areas (esp out west) that cannot see 61.5 (or will not have spot capacity on 61.5 for locals).

They do not currently, or have presented plans for the future where they do not have channels duplicated between the two systems. The main difference will be that the EA only has MPEG-4. It could be that some of the standard definition channels could end up looking better on EA since they would be using MPEG-4.

OK, understand. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)