What is going on?? Lost 119 Satellite

Hmm, exactly 1AM. Sounds like something was scheduled, and a bad command was sent during the process.
Thats what I am thinking...

BTW don't expect much of anything from tomorrows uplink report. Its going to be a very small uplink... They are still getting stuff ready for the move to Echostar 15.

Last night there was a software release for the Vip211k it went from L459 to L491, I wonder if that had something to do with last night's issues?

I thought sats were designed with rather narrow uplink beams such that it would only be able to take signals from a very narrow couple areas.

Might it be possible that someone accidentally turned Echostar 7 on?

Some of the more recent DISH Network sats are. Since DISH knows they uplink from like 6 sites around the country, they have their more recent sats built for uplink spots so the uplinks can come from the areas of their six fixed uplink sites.

Of course that doesn't prevent one from running an uplink in that spot (fixed site or mobile). I discount the mobile truck uplink idea because I can't think of a truck that could uplink in those freqs/polarities. Most trucks are built for the Ku-band that is not in the DBS frequencies and some trucks are built for c-band uplinking.

As I was watching the interference last night, Echo 7 came to mind. I wasn't sure if it was turned on and creating interference or if DISH might have been turning on and configuring some of the Echo7 transponders as replacements for any potential Echo14 outaged transponders or wacky transponders. You can see stuff on the analyzer but because Echo 7 and Echo14 are in the same antenna beamwidth, you can't pick off each sat separately to analyze things. You'd have to be in the dish network satellite control center to know exactly what was going on with one or both sats and find out the thoughts of the employees in restoration plans (i.e. if trying to use echo7 to restore some transponders or just sending new/different commands to try to get echo14 to act properly again).

I thought sats were designed with rather narrow uplink beams such that it would only be able to take signals from a very narrow couple areas.

Might it be possible that someone accidentally turned Echostar 7 on?

Nope, if you can receive signal you can transmit to it. The satellite mirrors what ever is sent to it.... It knows no difference where the signal is coming from.

Hmm, exactly 1AM. Sounds like something was scheduled, and a bad command was sent during the process.

Could be very possible.

That satellite that went out of control earlier this year couldn't have caused a problem could it? I have no idea if it is still causing problems for satellites anymore.

NO! Charlie rebooted the Satellite - does every thing have to have a smiley on it?

I did not consider that some would misinterpret, so I'll add the smiley.

Nope, if you can receive signal you can transmit to it. The satellite mirrors what ever is sent to it.... It knows no difference where the signal is coming from.

Then how do sats receive multiple uplinks on the same frequencies as other uplinks for use in spots? I think there are some wide field antennas for TT&C, but narrow antennas for uplinks.

:DPower cord reboot?:D
Thats a long power cord!

Actually I hear the issue as the two astronauts from the commercial wanted play a joke and shut Free HD for Life off for a night... but they turned off the wrong switch. It took them a few hours to read the manual and turn it back on. (People on the ground were shocked they knew how to read.) :cool::cool::cool::cool:

NO! Charlie rebooted the Satellite - does every thing have to have a smiley on it?

I did not consider that some would misinterpret, so I'll add the smiley.

:D Satellites have no power cords! :D (See if I didn't use a smiley you might think I was serious ;) .)

Then how do sats receive multiple uplinks on the same frequencies as other uplinks for use in spots? I think there are some wide field antennas for TT&C, but narrow antennas for uplinks.
There is a number that each spot is represented for instance it would be transponder number 1 slot 3a, transponder 1 slot 4a, transponder 1 slot 4b ect.. When beamed you only take up a small portion of the transponder, bandwidth wise as represented to technical folks as in mhz of the transponder. That's how you get multiple channels on the transponder.
Now with that said when you uplink and access the satellite, the guys at the access station (these are the guys driving the satellite and controlling it) is going to send commands to the bird telling it that its going to see a frequency. That frequency is different than the downlink frequency They will work their magic and route the signal that the bird receives to the appropriate slot on the transponder. It could also very well be an automated process that dish and directv has that tells the bird what slot to go to when it receives a signal. In the case of spots, (I’m not quite sure on this one, but each spot is transmitted on a different uplink frequency, and then redistributed on the same frequency, different spot transponder. In theory, one should be able to uplink all the spots from one location, but its not done for back haul reasons. (its cheaper to have regional uplinks, than to have 800 fiber links to one place, and it also adds redundancy.)
The bird doesn’t care where the signal originates from on the ground, but as long as what it knows what to do with the signal. Make sense?

Last edited:
if your still having issues picking up 119, maybe you may need to re-peak your dish or get an new LNB. my dish hasn't has a single problem all day since it got fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts