What is good signal strength??

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Just had a 1H/2J system installed yesterday, and quickly saw the signal strength screen as the installer confirmed the Hopper as operational. I'm fearing that my signal strength (48-51) is low. How do I know what I SHOULD be getting in Minneapolis DMA?

(As I'm away from home at the moment, I have no way to confirm at the moment the signal numbers I saw VERY quickly yesterday.)

On the "Diagnostics: System info-Page 1"... My "Satellite Signal:" Box G has a green bar in the 129 box, if that tells you anything. But, we've only had this system for about two weeks, and the install tech did say that we had the strongest signal he had ever seen in his five years of installing DISH, and had no explanation as to why. I'm located in Central Indiana if that helps you any. I'm very new to the Hopper, and still trying to feel my way around, so I'm not up on much of the technical jargon yet. My signal strength could just be a fluke. But, it could be a good fluke. :)

You are likely on the eastern arc if he said those were the highest he's seen. Which those would be very decent signals for eastern arc.

Western arc you should see atleast 70's depending on which orbital.

And also note each orbital can have up to 32 transponders on them, signals will vary by transponder.

I get 21 strenght for my local HD's, which is strong for my area. Sucks but it works at least. Some people need a second dish just for the locals up here, which can get them to 25-30.

PokerMunkee said:
I get 21 strenght for my local HD's, which is strong for my area. Sucks but it works at least. Some people need a second dish just for the locals up here, which can get them to 25-30.

Yeah our locals come on 129 transponder 9 which maxes about 45-48, while transponder 21, which is what we peak with, maxes at about 78-82 on 1000.2

Okay, after looking at that spreadsheet and trying each transponder, I am average on 110, about 4-5 points low on 119, and average on 129. Should I be concerned about 119 being a little low?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)