What is reverse band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because they'd have to go back and install an SL5 for every international customer. That makes even less sense than putting them on reverse band. Plus they'd have to launch a new satellite to 119 when the current one runs out of fuel, which may be as early as 2021. That's obviously not happening, so 119 is almost certainly going away along with 110, and there will no longer be any use for SL5 LNBs.

Still easier than installing second dishes

Still easier than installing second dishes

True, which is why I thought they should have mirrored the international channels onto reverse band as soon as possible after D14 launched. Then they could simply install reverse band LNBs for new international customers, while existing ones could keep using their existing setup. Then when they did the cutover, they'd be able to move them to Ka and drop 95. I'd think that would have saved them a lot of money not installing all those second dishes the last couple years. There may be some reasons why it took them so long to begin using reverse band that we're not aware of, I guess.

Yes, while still somewhat confusing to me, apparently the Genies can see and operate on all 21 SWiM tuner channels supported by the 2nd gen. digital LNBs.

Whereas, while all previous non-Genie receivers may detect that there are as many as 21 SWiM channels available. They may only operate on up to 13 of them.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Though I was specifically asking goaliebob for the DBS site near him there in Arizona at the time ....

In your case, are you referring to the residences potentially affected just to the east of the LABC across that small dead end street "McConnell Ave?"

No, I'm referring to the site receiving interference on its own reverse band LNB from a transmit dish 30ft away.

Though I was specifically asking goaliebob for the DBS site near him there in Arizona at the time ....

In your case, are you referring to the residences potentially affected just to the east of the LABC across that small dead end street "McConnell Ave?"

No, I'm referring to the site receiving interference on its own reverse band LNB from a transmit dish 30ft away.
But specifically where is the RB receiving site located which is only 30 ft. away from a DBS uplink station?

You mean somewhere on the LABC's dish farm itself?

The RB LNB/dish is installed at the uplink site right behind a DBS transmit dish. I thought I made that clear but maybe not.

But specifically where is the RB receiving site located which is only 30 ft. away from a DBS uplink station?

You mean somewhere on the LABC's dish farm itself?

The RB LNB/dish is installed at the uplink site right behind a DBS transmit dish. I thought I made that clear but maybe not.
Oh ... ok, I see now, you must work at the LABC then.

Sorry to sound like such a dolt, but I thought you were earlier referring to maybe a subscriber's Slimline dish on one of the nearby residences on the other side of McConnell St. or something.

So what kind of dish is that specifically?

A standard customer Slimline dish mounted 30 ft. from one of those six prominent 11 meter DBS uplink dishes that have seemingly been there since the LABC was first constructed?

Or one of those special "confidence monitoring" receive dishes made from the 1.8m AK/HI dishes that a now retired DIRECTV engineer once explained to me about when I asked?

A birdie (cough cough) told me that the site near me is kind of in the same boat and has one that's about 15 feet, (RB + INT) setup on a SWM30, from one of the transmit antennas and it points over three antennas (KU and KA). I'm not sure what they have up or not on the RB test channels or what's supposed to be there but everything is in the high 80's on 99 RB outside of TXP's 5-7, 11,13 & 15 per IRD levels. I don't think those are active transponders. From what I have been told is no 4K video on them, just some HD channels they are using for testing and they could only see one coming from TXP 4. I'm sure it's a work in progress and in due time we will find out what does get launched there.

I just realized if this reverse band dish sitting behind a bunch of DBS uplink dishes is pressed into service in reverse band, it might simply receive the spillover direct from the transmit dishes and make pictures since the downlink frequencies are the same as the uplink frequencies. The only potential problem would be if the LNB gets completely overloaded by the transmit dishes and outputs a bunch of Intermod and noise instead of discernible transponders.

A birdie (cough cough) told me that the site near me is kind of in the same boat and has one that's about 15 feet, (RB + INT) setup on a SWM30, from one of the transmit antennas and it points over three antennas (KU and KA). I'm not sure what they have up or not on the RB test channels or what's supposed to be there but everything is in the high 80's on 99 RB outside of TXP's 5-7, 11,13 & 15 per IRD levels. I don't think those are active transponders. From what I have been told is no 4K video on them, just some HD channels they are using for testing and they could only see one coming from TXP 4. I'm sure it's a work in progress and in due time we will find out what does get launched there.

I just realized if this reverse band dish sitting behind a bunch of DBS uplink dishes is pressed into service in reverse band, it might simply receive the spillover direct from the transmit dishes and make pictures since the downlink frequencies are the same as the uplink frequencies. The only potential problem would be if the LNB gets completely overloaded by the transmit dishes and outputs a bunch of Intermod and noise instead of discernible transponders.
Except that I think in Goliebob99's case, for the site near him in Tucson Ariz. (the "SWUF") the Ku band dish he refers to is a 13.2m behemoth from General Dynamics titled "SWKU5" (call sign: E140115), which operates in the FSS 14.0-14.5 GHz/11.7-12.2 GHz bands with linear pol. for service to SKY Mex. and others.

So should not effect RB reception nearly to the degree the potential co-channel interference to the setup installed at the LABC will cause.

Unless spillover reception is what they actually intend it for anyway as you point out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)