What is the best Directv HD DVR Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yellowstar6

Original poster
May 20, 2009
CA
I've had Directv since 2004. I'm now thinking of upgrading to HD.

However, I'm confused as to what "Directv HD DVR Receiver" to get, and should I rent or buy.

I can't find one "Directv HD DVR Receiver" that gets great across the boards reviews.

So, I'm wondering what would be the best way to go?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and help.

You can't buy DirecTV HD DVR's they're all leased. The monthly charge for a purchased receivers mirroring or lease is exactly the same. The upfront charge is basically an 'upgrade' charge, you can get a SD for free, a SD DVR or HD receiver for $99 or a HD DVR for $199 upgrade. Check the DirecTV web site, if they determine you're a 'good' customer the HD DVR might be $99.00.

Unless you go to a local dealer which can tell you what receiver model you'll get it can be anything that the installer has on his truck, from a new HR23 to a refurb HR20 and anything inbetween, the CSR might say they can make sure you get what you request but they can't.

You can't buy DirecTV HD DVR's they're all leased. The monthly charge for a purchased receivers mirroring or lease is exactly the same. The upfront charge is basically an 'upgrade' charge, you can get a SD for free, a SD DVR or HD receiver for $99 or a HD DVR for $199 upgrade. Check the DirecTV web site, if they determine you're a 'good' customer the HD DVR might be $99.00.

Unless you go to a local dealer which can tell you what receiver model you'll get it can be anything that the installer has on his truck, from a new HR23 to a refurb HR20 and anything inbetween, the CSR might say they can make sure you get what you request but they can't.

in your opinion which one do you like best?

in your opinion which one do you like best?

I like my HR20-700 the best. My HR21-100, HR22-100 and HR23-700 also work fine, just that the user interface is slow. If I was playing with the GUI all the time vs. watching program's I'd really be pi**ed, but since the vast mojority of the time I'm watching programming it's not a deal buster for me.

I like my HR20-700 the best. My HR21-100, HR22-100 and HR23-700 also work fine, just that the user interface is slow. If I was playing with the GUI all the time vs. watching program's I'd really be pi**ed, but since the vast mojority of the time I'm watching programming it's not a deal buster for me.

i've been looking into one of these hr20-700's. i currently have an HR21-100 but comments like yours which others have also posted tells me that i would be happy with one of these HR20's. thanks for sharing your opinion on this

i've been looking into one of these hr20-700's. i currently have an HR21-100 but comments like yours which others have also posted tells me that i would be happy with one of these HR20's. thanks for sharing your opinion on this
I have the HR20-100, what is the difference between the 100 and 700, besides the manufacturer?

And the fact that both show full time HD RSNs and sports packs. LOL

Seriously though, is there a difference between the 700 and 100?

well, i believe that the 700 is heavier than the 100 which tells me it's constructed a little better. and the comments that the gui speed for the hr20-700 seems to be the best out of all the models. i believe jimbo and jagz72 have the hr20-700.

There are a few differenes noted in the 1st look at DBSTalk, see HR20-100 - The Next Look - DBSTalk.Com . The 1st look was of a black HR20-100, there were only a few of those made IIRC, the rest were silver like the -700.

The biggest difference I've noted between my HR20-700 and the other's is the harddrive is much more 'chatty/noisey', can't use it in the bedroom but no problems in other rooms.

I believe the Hard Drives are the same or very close ... 300 vs 320 maybe.
The -700 has a built in RF while the -100 has an external one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.