What is the best HDFTA box out there right now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I want to add a hdfta box to my main Tv in the living room for wild feeds, backhals ect. I want to do mainly KU for now but add C later. 4:2:2 would be nice. So whats out there?

I may consider HTPC options, but I want to see what is out there first. Blind scan is a must :)

there is nothing that meats your requirements.

4:2:0 SD/HD blindscan you can get a pansat 9200, but be prepared for bugs.
4:2:0/4:2:2 SD/HD no blindscan you can get a QualiTV or build yourself a HTPC.

What you want is what people hope the Fortec Passion HDTV FTA Receiver will do.

I use a Pansat 3500 for blind searching and SD 4:2:0 feeds and I have a slaved Twinhan 102g PC Card for SD 4:2:2, HD 4:2:2 & HD 4:2:0, and recording feeds.

One box... this Pansat 9200 is nice. No 4:2:2 but everything else works pretty well. Blind scan speed is upped from the 2500/2700 generation and it seems to catch most everything it should. It's really nice to run a blind scan and actually be able to tune the HD feeds. Bugs? Yep they all got em but the picture quality overcomes the small bugs.

A Traxis 3500 or Coolie 5000 slaved to a Quali is another option..

When is the fortec star passion suppose to be out? I can wait till early next year some time after cesish if there is a better model coming out. This is why I cant wait for CES.

Best thing going for your needs is a standard STB for blindscanning and 4:2:0, then a Quali or HTPC for HD & 4:2:2. Maybe one day there will be a one box solution but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, besides no 4:2:2 I am VERY happy with my new pansat 9200. If the passion every materializes, then I'll get it if the price is right, but otherwise, I'm sticking with my pansat.

How's the SV work with a motor? How's the blind scan? I've read nothing but bad or neutral reviews on it. Also I saw the interface, it looks clunky and I hear the remote response is marginal at best.

How's the SV work with a motor? How's the blind scan? I've read nothing but bad or neutral reviews on it. Also I saw the interface, it looks clunky and I hear the remote response is marginal at best.
remote worked fine for me, but I heard others complain about it.

the OSD is very cartoonish and imo kinda amateur. my fortec mercury II and dreambox are really well layed out, the SV8000 osd was grainy, terrible font size choices, and terrible color choices, lol. minor though really considering it locked up twice a day and once a week would corrupt the hdd.

So does anyone have any information as to when this Fortec Star PASSION HD receive will be coming out with the 4:2:0/4:2:2 SD/HD with blind scan?

I'm holding off to buy my HD receiver but I'm tired of missing all the sports feeds out there...

The blind scan works great and the remote response was fixed in the latest firmwares. As well, the newer firmware offer an HD interface which looks MUCH better! I use the SV here with a 7.5 ft dish with Jaeger H-H mount and V-box and it works flawlessly.

Im glad to hear theyve fixed alot of the issues. I had one breifly and sold it as it was a nightmare.

hows the pvr functions ? can you record now ? does the unit corrupt the harddrive every week ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.