What is the best you have ever been locked into the arc on a motorized fta system?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitedxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
The woodlands,Texas
I can proudly say right now I am totally locked as well or better than I have ever been.

I am using a 1.2 meter Fortec Star dish with a dg380 motor and a New KBOX Pro pvr receiver.

On the KBOX I believe 97 is the highest the quality it will go up to.

I am hitting 97 quality on at least one tp in the entire arc except on 2 sats and that is AMC 9 and the 105 sat.

I am scanning from 72-119 as of right now, I would say my avg quality on active tps is 91 or so for an entire average, I honestly dont know if I can be locked in any better or can possibly miss any tps.

:):):):):)

I would have to say for anyone looking for a new setup get yourself a 1.2 meter with a dg380 from sadoun, And though not many real fta'ers use the KBOX brand it is a darn good fta receiver, Especially the fine tuning on the 1.2 motor option, it lets you move the dish at either 1.5 degree movements or at small movements which are like a 30th of a degree per movement!

Also with this box it doesnt freeze up when you hit a hd channel like some of the others, it just shows a gargled screen.

What is the best any of you are locked in or have been?

If you're talking about Q values, they depend a lot on STB model, since they tend to use different formulas to calculate these values. Fine tuning by a motor will work well with most motor brands if the dish is picked accurately on the Arc. Number of TPs one can lock depends not only on the dish size, but also on geographic location and STB model's signal sensitivity among other things. In addition, you are tracing only a limited portion of the visible in NA Sat Arc so far. To fine tune, try max out Q of the weakest TP signal on each sat you can lock. It should not usually be in 90, but 30-to-10, or less.

Last edited:
i wish my dg380 could turn my 1.2m fortec. it always gets stuck about 18 degrees from the apex. i think i need to send it back cuz its only 2 weeks old. when i had the pan on my sg2100 it made huge signal. i have LOS from 37.5w to probly 160w. it really makes a guy smile when you have the dish super tweak and cant squeeze another q from it. glad to hear some success stories.

crackt out,.

each meter is different so I wouldnt put alot of faith in those

My Coolsat 8000 seems to like 99 for a lot of signals. The Pansat I have seems to have the most "true" meter and I use that to aim the dishes.

But the 1.2m dish does help ;) Wish I could get one set up for KU

Yeah, comparing it to my old 36 inch system it is like night and day!

Btw I hooked it up to my pansat 2700 and the 97 quailty I was getting was 94-97 on its meter which I agree with iceberg is the best I have used yet.

On my 36 inch dish the best I ever locked was about 85pct of this system, keep in mind I am using a qph-031 I had a basic universal linear lnb back then.

I find it funny though that the highest I have seen the rtn nets on 83 was about 73 pct! Pretty weak tp for such a great network! lol!

Looks like rain fade will never be an issue with this baby!

And though not many real fta'ers use the KBOX brand it is a darn good fta receiver, Especially the fine tuning on the 1.2 motor option, it lets you move the dish at either 1.5 degree movements or at small movements which are like a 30th of a degree per movement!

Many FTA receivers have the function. ;)

Satellitedxer,

That is a really good capture so far!

When you refer to "locking onto the arc" I take that with a different notion.
I consider "locking onto" or tracking the arc as a function of the motor and dish alignment, of course. However, I don't always judge it via the signal or quality strength levels that I detect, just as long as it is above the threshold of my tuner.

Rather, I judge it by how many degrees of the arc (or how many satellites) I can actually receive a valid (above the threshold of the tuner) signal from across my usable horizon - without making any adjustments to dish / motor elevation or azimuth.

The more satellites I can pick up a signal from using USALS, the better, regardless if the signal is encrypted or not or has the maximum indication of quality on my receiver's meter. As long as I know the signal is safely above the threshold for the tuner in the IRD and I can identify that the signal is coming from the intended satellite, then that means that I aligned to that sat.

For instance, due to my geographic location (longitude and latitude coordinates) satellites which are beyond 77 degrees east or west of me would be below my horizon, and therefore I would have no LOS to them. So the theoretical usable horizon for my latitude and longitude is roughly 154 degrees total.

I have confirmed (scanned in) at least one channel on each of the following satellites: 30.0, 37.6, 43.0, 61.5, 63.0, 72.0, 72.7, 74.0, 77.0, 79.0, 83.0, 85.0, 87.0, 89.0, 91.0, 93.0, 95.0, 97.0, 99.0, 101.0, 103.0, 105.0, 110.0, 111.1, 113.0, 116.8, 119.0, 121.0, 123.0, 125.0, 127.0, 129.0 and 148.0 (before 148 went AWOL).

This works out to 118.0 degrees or 76.6% of my theoretical horizon. The remaining 23.4% is as yet, unknown or uncertain, there either isn't any satellite for me to test outside that range or I have not been able to detect them.

You are covering 47 degrees of your usable horizon with exceptional quality levels on at least one TP from each sat, we just don't know what your usable horizon is, degree-wise. Your site's latitude coordinate will change your theoretical usable horizon, but so will your local landscape. You may have buidings, trees, mountains or other obstructions to contend with.

I relocated my dish a couple of times in order to improve my LOS and usable horizon. I think I have now found the most optimum location for my motorized dish. I have a clear LOS now for every satellite in my "theoretical" horizon and it is only about 300 feet from the house.

I used a solar outage calculator (online) and went outside on the dates and times they calculated where the sun would be in line with each satellite. That is how I picked the optimum location for the dish, based upon the closest location to the house that had a full, unobstructed view of the sky and was the most sheltered and a few other amenities.

I consider myself really lucky at my location here in the middle of the country (near Omaha), because of how well it worked out. Theoretically, I should be able to test satellites from 19.5W to 173.5W. Since I have tracked the majority of this horizon or arc, (I am missing 10 degrees on the east and 25 degrees on the west), I feel I am doing very well.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)