What is the better choice for streaming: Netflix or Amazon?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I have fast internet (25/3), but my ISP is not part of Netflix's "superhd" network yet, and they told me they have no plans to join it anytime soon. I've never had either Netflix or Amazon as of yet, but I am thinking about finally trying one of them. I do also order stuff from Amazon, probably 5-6 times a year minimum, but usually get free shipping for being over $25 anyway.

My new LG smart tv has a Netflix app, but doesn't as of yet have a native Amazon app. I do however have a Sony blu-ray player that does, I also have Playon server that also has it, and my tv is DLNA compliant. So, I'm cool with easily getting Amazon on my tv set either way if I go with it.

Which should it be?

I have both & equally enjoy them.

The only thing I don't like about amazon prime is they don't support closed captions.

Other than that you can't go wrong with either.

I like Netflix so far. A lot of independent movies it seems sometimes. Some of those are well done others are like a bad B movie. So far my wife and I have always managed to find something to watch and for the money it beats going to the movies. I tried Amazon for a day or so and it wasn't what we wanted and I rarely use Amazon for purchases. Both services are overall very good though.

I have Amazon all the time and turn on Netflix for a few months a year to do marathon watching of some things. Same with Hulu Plus. All offer some very good shows, all have very good video. I would turn Amazon on and off at times if it was available other than annual subscription.

Note that while Playon gives you lots of choices, all will be in SD as that is all it supports.

Netflix is great though I think the content doesn't get updated that often, which is a very turn down for me. I find myself watching the same episodes all the time. I haven't tried other streaming services yet, so I can't really compare it to anything.

Don't take my word to take your decision though, I live in Denmark and the American content is sadly pretty limited over here.

I like Amazon if you search for a movie and its not on Amazon Prime you can rent it or buy it. That gives better choices.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not real happy with Amazon's economics though. A season of a popular TV show is generally around $30 in BluRay, $22ish on DVD and $35-37 on instant. Generally $3/episode. Always has seemed too pricy to me, so I either buy the discs on sale or wait.

Not real happy with Amazon's economics though. A season of a popular TV show is generally around $30 in BluRay, $22ish on DVD and $35-37 on instant. Generally $3/episode. Always has seemed too pricy to me, so I either buy the discs on sale or wait.

Amazon charges $2.99/episode or 2.84 if you get the season pass when the season is going. When the DVD comes out the season will be discounted. So, you pay $$ when the show is still airing for next day delivery or wait until DVD time to get the discount.

Both are great.Overall,netflix has a larger (included with your subscription) library,than amazon.Netflix has some original series now such as House of Cards,and Hemlock Grove,more are coming.Amazon is also starting to get into the original series,but none are available yet.Both have excellent video and audio quality.I still have to give Amazon a nudge as to overall video quality though.What would really be the cats meow,would be the ability to have netflix for a month then Amazon for a month.

FYI,if you have never had either,or it has been at least a year since your last prime membership,you can get both of them on 30 day free trials.That way you can judge for yourself.;) If you are a student or perhaps you have a kid in college you can get 6mos amazon prime for free.

Does HULU Plus include the FREE Hulu stuff? Or is it separated?

I watch a lot of free Hulu stuff through Playon and my WDTVLIVE device. However, it would be nice to not have to run a dlna server all the time to do so. Of course tv devices only have HULU Plus apps...

I tried Amazon and figured all the extra fees for the episodes we wanted to watch would cost too much. The idea for me was to keep the cost down not watch my TV viewing costs go up. I ditched Amazon in a hurry.

Some of the Hulu free stuff that you can watch on your computer you can not watch on Hulu Plus. "We currently don't have the rights to make this show available on your TV or mobile devices" For instance: http://www.hulu.com/defiance

If there was a more convoluted model of doing business than Hulu/Hulu Plus, I've yet to see it. But then it's owners (Comcast, Disney, News Corp) never really wanted it to succeed. These guys are too invested in the current way of business to try and make something different work.

I disliked having amazon show me episodes for sale when I run a search on the PS3. On the xbox it only shows the content included in the prime membership. If you purchase frequently from Amazon prime is a pretty good deal, they have several warehouses in my town and I frequently get my two day delivery the next day.

Netflix would be my choice because it has a lot more content. I love having Amazon Prime for the free shipping and fast delivery but I don't watch their streaming programming very much at all.

I had the same experience as avg1joe. Tried prime for a month and couldn't find a single thing worth watching. All the good stuff costs extra. OTOH my family watches a couple of titles on Netflix every day, and has for years. Public opinion backs this up too. About 90% of streaming subs have Netflix and only 2% have Amazon (SOURCE).

Don't get too worked up about Super HD. Normal HD on Netflix is still 1080p and looks fantastic. In terms of interface Netflix also beats Amazon by a mile. Just get the free trials of both and all of this will be abundantly clear.

Last edited:
I have fast internet (25/3)
implied-facepalm.jpg

Try Netflix's 1 month free trial. On my side I tried both but found Amazon lacking a lot of content as compared to Netflix.

Cheers, K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)