What is the deal with Mark Spitz??!!

All of you "men" done posting pics of guys you think are attractive? Someone go collect their man cards from them and kick them out of the sports section.

SG Man Rule #1: No posting pictures of attractive men (other than yourself, if applicable) in "The Sports Section." :D

Two weeks ago Mark Spitz was a "special guest" during half of an inning of the baseball game I was watching. He sat and talked with the play by play and color guys. All I can say is the guy sounded like an incredibly arrogant pr*ck. He didn't hold anything back when it came to complimenting himself and his accomplishments.

Two weeks ago Mark Spitz was a "special guest" during half of an inning of the baseball game I was watching. He sat and talked with the play by play and color guys. All I can say is the guy sounded like an incredibly arrogant pr*ck. He didn't hold anything back when it came to complimenting himself and his accomplishments.

Yup....that sounds about right....:cool:

Did you guys happen to see Spitz in his three way...

interview, that is, with Costas and Phelps yesterday (Friday)?

Spitz did not come off as arrogant. He was congratulatory of Phelps. He lauded the man and couldn't throw enough praise at him. It wasn't until Costas asked Spitz about his '72 experience that Spitz talked about himself, and when he did, he immediately turned it back to praising Phelps!

Salsadancer seems to have a thing for Spitz, but I just don't see it!

See ya
Tony

Mark put us on the map in 72 and made us proud for years afterwards. It has taken 36 years to beat his accomplishments. Ok, so he's crying over some spilled milk. Lets look at the bigger picture here, that Phelps is kicking butt, taking no prisoners and putting us back on the map again.

Spitz did not come off as arrogant. He was congratulatory of Phelps. He lauded the man and couldn't throw enough praise at him. It wasn't until Costas asked Spitz about his '72 experience that Spitz talked about himself, and when he did, he immediately turned it back to praising Phelps!

See ya
Tony

Yep, I watched it and thought he was very gracious.

See ya
Tony

It was a very gracious interview for Spitz and it gave him a chance to redeem himself from the arrogance he displayed earlier. He had no choice.....What, you honestly think he was not gonna be congratulatory when interviewed at the same time with America's NEW darling??!! Think of the publicity of him AND Phelps doing commercials together. Spitz is not stupid. You guys are way too naive.....

lemmse, didn't spitz win all of his gold medals during the munich olympics? lemmse, weren't there 11 israeli athletes murdered in cold blood during those olumpics? lemmse, if i remember correctly, spitz is jewish....they evacuated him from the olympic village because olympic officals thought his life was in jeopardy. lemmse, or did you people forget this?

i think the man had a right to complain about not being invited to bejiing!

I see the articles where Spitz comes off as spiteful or arrogant as the editorial slant. It is how the article was put together that gave it that feeling. It was the questions, like Costa's "if you were both at the top of your form who would win?" question where there is absolutely NO way to look gracious, confident and not arrogant at the same time. It's a "I want to get into a fight" question. It's a "Honey, does my butt look big in this dress?" sort of question.

Have I worked with pro athletes for 7 years? No. I've only worked with High School athletes for the last 25. But I have been reading and following the pros all my adult life (about the same amount of time). I think the statement that fits here is "You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

I appreciate the "professional" analysis, I just do not agree with it in this case.

See ya
Tony

sometimes, you guys are just unreal.

so let me ask you this? if you won 8 gold medals during an olympics remembered for 11 israeli athletes murded in cold blood, in which, you yourself was a potential target, don't you think you would hope tptb might have remembered and invited you to bejiing?

sorry, but your behavior about this subject is inexcuseable. maybe, you aren't old enough to remember that horrible 1972 olympics. i do. and given the fact that spitz is a motivational speaker, often invited to speak about the tragedy of the 1972 games, honoring the guy for his athletic fete might have been a nice touch.

but, then i guess you guys are as bad as olympic organizers and just don't give a rats behind!!

sometimes, you guys are just unreal.

so let me ask you this? if you won 8 gold medals during an olympics remembered for 11 israeli athletes murded in cold blood, in which, you yourself was a potential target, don't you think you would hope tptb might have remembered and invited you to bejiing?

sorry, but your behavior about this subject is inexcuseable. maybe, you aren't old enough to remember that horrible 1972 olympics. i do. and given the fact that spitz is a motivational speaker, often invited to speak about the tragedy of the 1972 games, honoring the guy for his athletic fete might have been a nice touch.

but, then i guess you guys are as bad as olympic organizers and just don't give a rats behind!!

He won 7. And he is tied to that Olympics because of what he did and what happened and unfotunately for ALL involved, that is how it is. Ice, I am disappointed in th fact that you seem to think the Olympic committee owes him something because the tragedy of what happened took away his time to shine. Like Nixon to Watergate....unfortunately for Mark Spitz, he will be tied to that madness of what happend in Munich. Yes, Munich is brought up quite often when the Olympics are on....and truth be told, what happened in 1972 should NEVER be forgotten.....but more often than that, when ANYONE comes within a 3 golds of Mark Spitz.....he is talked about honorable.....so he always gets remembered.

The questioning to me was no big deal came out as ALL sports questioning does, EVERYONE that is great is compared to the greats of the past or present...."if you went head-to-head against -------------, who do you think would come out on top?" THAT is the type of questioning that sports media has be showing for the last 15 to 20 years. He was not made to look bad....he just sounded bad answering the questions....maybe he was not ready to answer question about someone good enough to possibly break his records.....who knows, but he was not boxed in a corner like a rat....he just came off sounding bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)