What is the difference between "All Episodes" and "New episodes"?

How does DVR know if it's rerun or new episode?
So say if I choose "new episodes" for Simpsons I would just get 1 episode a week since the rest of them are reruns?

Greg

For lack of a technical term, it's automagical; a flag or data field in the Program Guide indicates this is a new episode. Of course, if it's a repeat that you've never seen, the 942 is going to skip it if you tell it to record only new episodes.

I just put a record on SouthPark and has chosen "New episodes". It decided to record just this week like 30 of those. I'm pretty sure majority of those are re-runs. WHat is algorythm is being used to figure out if this is new episode or not.
I think DVR considers everything which has not been recorded to my DVR as new and then will not record them again next weeK?

All episodes will record that same time frame every single time so if you watch csi vegas then it will record thursday night 9pm cbs every week regardless of what comes on at that time. New episode will only record the new run of csi on that night and will avoid reruns and preemptive programing such as the president tooting his horn or an odd sports night game.

artisticcheese said:
I just put a record on SouthPark and has chosen "New episodes". It decided to record just this week like 30 of those. I'm pretty sure majority of those are re-runs. WHat is algorythm is being used to figure out if this is new episode or not.
I think DVR considers everything which has not been recorded to my DVR as new and then will not record them again next weeK?

If this is on one of the dual tuner dvrs then you didnt set it up to record new episodes only, the epg has tags that you dont see that tells your device all sorts of things about each show that comes on. It sounds like what you did was go into the dish pass utility and do a search for south park wich would set up your 625 to automaticly record south park any time it comes on regardless of wether its new or a rerun. Name based recording such as dish pass is still in its fledgling state and has some area's that need to be worked out such as with shows that have gone to syndication such as south park or law and order or my other favorite CSI.

You will need to go back into your dvr menue and check the timers tab to see whats automaticly set up to record, Im sure you will see a nice long list of south park slated to record each day of the week.

yea, easiest way to do it is to hit record when it comes on go to options and create recurring timer and select new episodes, you can also go through the dvr menue to timers and manual timers and set it up through there as well.

riffjim4069 said:
For lack of a technical term, it's automagical; a flag or data field in the Program Guide indicates this is a new episode. Of course, if it's a repeat that you've never seen, the 942 is going to skip it if you tell it to record only new episodes.

The flag you refer to is the year that the episode first aired. So that if a program that first aired in January of 2005 is rebroadcast in October of 2005, it is a repeat, but will be considered NEW on Dishnetwork DVR's. Not so automagical, as you put it. When you go to view the program and then realize that you've seen it already and have to delete it, it's more like automanual.

The main problem with selecting "new episodes" is that they are often rebroadcast for several days, and will be selected due to the "flag", thus filling your hard drive with the same stuff. It is a pain, but selecting "one time" saves a whole lot of sifting and deleting.

Now I'm completely confused. How do I exactly record only new episodes of Simpsons without recording rebroadcasts and old episodes and old stuff?

YOu can restrict the dish pass timer to just one certain channel . That way you will only get recordings on that one channel instead of all the other channels too. Under options you can restrict it to one channel and also set how many you will hold of each episode; 1-25 episodes. It will even record the newer episodes over the older ones of that very show. Say you watch "The Simpsons" on Fox network and you only want 1 episode kept on your dvr. Now say you watch that episode but don't delete it. It will record next week over that older episode on your hard drive and it saves space.

Recording new episodes will record any episode of a program that was first aired during the current calendar year, repeat or new. Dish name-based recording does not have a setting to record only new episodes. The feature is mis-named.

The difference between a name-based timer and a dish pass is that a timer is limited to a single program on a single channel. For example if you set up a name-based timer to record Law and Order on your local NBC channel, it will record the program on that channel whenever it is aired. If you set it to new episodes only, it will only record episodes that were first aired sometime this year. That may be a new episode or one that was first aired in January (last season). The 'new' option isn't terribly clever. This timer will not record any episodes of Law and Order that are on other channels, regardless of whether or not they are new.

A Dish Pass can be set to search for key words in either a program title or description. It can also be set to find programs on a single channel or on all channels. It cannot be set to record only episodes that first aired during the current calendar year. For example, if you create a Dish Pass for 'Sean Connery' using 'Info' on all channels, the DVR will record any program that has his name in the information, such as the older James Bond movies. If you create a Dish Pass to find 'Law and Order' in the title, with an exact match on all channels, it will record all episodes on all channels that you receive, such as your local NBC station and TNT (assuming you receive it).

There can be some overlap. A name-based timer to record all episodes of Law and Order on your NBC channel will record the same episodes as a title-based, exact match Dish Pass for Law and Order restricted to a single channel (your local NBC channel).

All of these work the way I described provided that you don't have conflicts in your timers and Dish Passes. The current version of the software is not terrible clever when it comes to conflicts. It seems to forget, from time to time that there may be a second tuner sitting idle when a conflict occurs. Using the Record Plus feature doesn't always help resolve the conflict.

Thanks. This is very informative.
You said dish pass does not have ability to distinguish new episodes but I can see some of the recording being cancelled with a reason "duplicate event". This seems to me means that it is in fact doing some sort of "new episode" recording.

Van said:
If this is on one of the dual tuner dvrs then you didnt set it up to record new episodes only, the epg has tags that you dont see that tells your device all sorts of things about each show that comes on. It sounds like what you did was go into the dish pass utility and do a search for south park wich would set up your 625 to automaticly record south park any time it comes on regardless of wether its new or a rerun.

No, my 942 did the same thing this week for South Park. The problem is, Comedy Central is doing marathons this weekend, and they didn't put descriptions on any of them. If the description is generic, the 942 always seems to think it's new.

It does the same thing for The Daily Show. They only put in descriptions for the the next couple days because things usually aren't booked so far in advance. If I look at my schedule, the 942 always wants to record Daily Show 4 or 5 times a day in the upcoming week. But when it actually rolls around, the descriptions get updated and it only records the first showing each night. That didn't happen with the South Park marathons, so the 942 wants to record every single one. You would think that it would consider tham all "duplicates" and skip them all. There must be a flag that indicates a generic description, so it records them all to be "safe".

I just went in and made it a weekly event at that time on Wednesdays. Comedy Central is pretty good about not moving it around, unlike the idiots at the big networks. I've missed at least half the "Scrubs" episodes since it went on the air, because I never had a name-based DVR until last week. I'm counting on the 942 to follow it around this year if they ever schedule a premiere. (They renew it every year, but they rarely show it!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts