What is the full price on a Directv DVR (model r15)? Being charged a leasing fee!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

el99ne

Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Does someone know the full value of a directv dvr (r15)? I just bought one independantly, and now I am being charged 4.99 as a leasing fee. Is there any way to get that removed? Thanks for the info.

Is that your 2nd or more receiver? I bet if you will look at you bill closely, you will see the #1 receiver has no such fee and the #2 and up have the fee; its just the renamed mirror charge of days past. R15's = about $99 brand new.

Last edited:
D* leases all they're equipment now, just because you pay $99 for it in the store doesn't mean you own it, that's just a deposit, allthough you pay no leasing fees for the equipment, if you skip the rest of your contract on them, they will ask for DVR back or charge like 200.00. The 4.99 you see is the A/O or addition reciever fee charged for each reciever past the first.

And if you do get it converted to an "owned box"

If this is your 2nd unit on your account, you will then be paying a $4.99 mirroring fee...

Sorry couldnt respond sooner. So let me get this straight, if I have 2 receivers, I will still be charged the 4.99 for the dvr even if I didnt purchase it from directv?

Welcome back, thought you gave up ..

Yes, if it is that same old "fee" it is a programming administration fee , copying of your subscription info from the main acct receiver to all subsequent receivers @ $4.99. As opposed to each receiver being its own separate account billed at the full $50+.. I have long be a proponent that receivers #3 and up should be free; or #2 - #4 for the one $4.99 and #5 and up for another $2.99 - $4.99; but unfortunately all receivers #2 an up get charged the fee. I have 5 on my account. This is the ONLY fee DirecTV charges I think is somewhat unreasonable.

Well thanks for the info. When I called DirecTv, they told me what was the price I payed for the dvr, if I would have paid the full price on it then the charge would be removed. Well I didnt know what the full price was, so I just told them it was a gift, and that I would find out and call them back. I guess 4.99 is not a huge fee, but its still sucks that I have to pay for something not bought from them :) Thanks again

One way or another, you're going to pay the $4.99.

If you own the box it will just be a "mirror fee" rather than a "lease fee".

I think it is obsurd that even if I go and buy a receiver on say ebay that they are going to extend your commitment.....that doesn't seem legal.

No different the "cell phone" world. Where you pay a reduced price for the hardware, but then are put into a commitment...

ebonovic said:
No different the "cell phone" world. Where you pay a reduced price for the hardware, but then are put into a commitment...

thats the point...if i buy my wequipment off ebay I don't have to have a commitment with the cell phone. I am talking if I buy my own Direct equipment!

asousa said:
thats the point...if i buy my wequipment off ebay I don't have to have a commitment with the cell phone. I am talking if I buy my own Direct equipment!

The commitment is for the programming, you can indeed buy your own receiver, and never hook it up, and you'll never get a commitment, but, when you want to _activate_ it, the commitment comes into play.

Long story short - you'll pay 4.99 for each and every receiver after the first one. So if you get a third receiver, you'll pay another 4.99, and another 4.99 for a fourth receiver, and so on...

“OK” I just went through this with “D”. You can own your receiver. The catch is you have to pay the right price for it or at least tell them what you paid. It must be full retail $399.00. If you are an existing customer you can keep you programming as it is or make any changes that you wish to make. If you are not yet a customer you will need to sign-up anyway. Either way you will be charged a 4 or 5 dollar per month fee to use the DVR. Similar to the Tivo fee, plus there is a 4 or 5 dollar fee per receiver to add multiple receivers to the account.

Their now I think I have confused myself, I hope that others can understand my post. I found you guys because I am trying to find out if I can transfer the shows that I have recorded on my R15 to DVD? If so how?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)