what is the minimum size of dish to use Ku/C Band Lnbf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Johnson114

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I have a 87 cm oval dish which I'm currently using for my Ku Band. I have seen some Universal Ku/ C Band Lnbf on eBay. A seller told me I need at least a 120cm dish for me to use the Universal Ku/C Band Lnbf. Which the minimum size dish is required if anyone have any idea

The C/KU reception will be marginal at best with a 1.2M dish. The C-band channel selection on a 87cm dish will be reduced even more. If you want to experiment with the 87cm, use a C-band only LNBF if you want any chance of receiving any channel.

C/KU LNBFs really must be mounted on a large 8+ foot dish to provide reliable reception. The FD on the smaller offset dishes is a mismatch to the C/KU LNBF design and you might receive some of the strongest C-band channels, but the KU reception will be severely attenuated.

Last edited:
A 6 footer would be the minimum for an acceptable c band use across the arc. Theoretically 8.5 ft as Brian says is enough with 10 feet as the popular choice to grab everything. Bigger better so if you can go 12 ft.

Walrus and I have experimented with Mini-BUDS, Walrus much more than I. Attempting to get both Ku and C on a mini-BUD is difficult with a 1.0 to 1.2 M dish, anything smaller would probably be futile. It's not so bad if the dish is aimed at just one sat that has both bands, but when you apply a H-H motor to pan the horizon, it doesn't seem to be consistent regarding repeatibility.

If you divide the dishes to their separate bands then a 76 cm dish seems to work great for most Ku band signals where the EIRP is strong, it does lose something when you get to 4.2.2 signals and such. A 1.2 M mini-BUD will work for the stronger C-Band signals, even with a motor, but it isn't the best.

The best option would probably be an eight foot or larger BUD for use with a combo LNB, as Brian and HD Fan have stated.

RADAR

Thanx to everyone that responded to my post. I will have to wait til I buy my house next year before i can get a larger dish then. Satelliteguys forum is the best.

I have a 36'' x 30'' primestar dish with a BSC-621-2 ku/c lnb , fixed on 99w . Get the Virgin Island mux (90% of the time) , the Lesea ch's , Golden Eagle & My Family ch. Have to use a conical scalar ring tho . The only other sat I can watch any strong tp's was 91w . Does make me want a 6 or 8 footer to get more c band , just no place to put one .

You might receive a few channels if perfectly optimized. Way too small for reliable reception of anything but the strongest channels.

C band on a dish smaller than 6 ft is an experiment to see what can be received. Search the forum for mini BUD, minibud, micro bud, for some insightful threads.
From a post I put in another thread:
I'd encourage the implementation of at least a 7.5ft. The bigger the dish, the less that you'll miss. Being there's a definite switch over occurring on many of the services to DVB-S2 you should remember: Bigger is Better.
Many here 'cut their teeth' with a 6ft, and many 6 and 7.5 have been 'decommissioned' in favor of a larger dish. Usually a 10 ft.
10Ft dishes miss very little. 4 ft dishes miss an awful lot. Gets worse as the dish gets smaller.
And WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

You have two things against you with any smalll dish for C band.

Adjacent satellite interference is prevelant on dishes under 8' or so.
That's why 10'ers are often recommended if you "want everything".
But, a really well tuned 8'er can do wonders.

Then, the dual band LNBFs are a little weaker on C band, and quite a bit weaker on Ku.
So, since two wrongs don't make a right, I suggest choosing your poison.
If you must experiment with C band on a 4'er, use a C-band-only LNBF.
They perform a little better, and you need all you.can get. ;)

Then for Ku, mount a suitable LNBF beside the one for C band.
Ku will still be okay, and C band won't be compromised. (any further)

Dont get me wrong, I'm not an advocate on miniBUDs.
They are a wonderful experiment for the advanced FTAer.
Just not a general solution for everybody.

Edit: with very careful tuning and setup, 80cm might get a little C band on one or two satellites.
Or, by not optimizing everything, you might get nothing.
In gambling, we'd say the odds are against you. :)

Last edited:
My reason for the micro bud setup is that I live in an apartment and I don't want to break the otard rules on satellite dishes.

Dan rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)