What is this signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
I ran a blind scan on 111W/ Anik F2. As usual, only the Saskatchuan mux there EXCEPT I now also have 18 scrambled channels at 3239 / H / 20000. SQ jumps up and down,loses lock but mostly at 75%.

The 9000i identifies them as being on EchoStar/110. FIne tuning them shows that they are indeed slightly east of 111W...so it probably is coming from 110W. I can't find any listing for C band signals on 110W.Does 110W have any unlisted C band signals? Or is my C/KU lnb suffering from some crossover? Or something else?

These channels are scrambled and of no use to me.Only now I am wondering if I have some crossover/interference problem going on.Thanks for any help!

Sounds like a switch problem. A C Band LO of 5150-3239 gives an IF freq of 1911 MHz. A Ku Band LO of 10750+1911=12661 MHz, which is an active Dish transponder from 110W.

I don't know of any C Band satellite at 110W. Anik F2 doesn't have any transponders below 3700 MHz. The old Telstar 12 was recently moved to 109.2W, but it is Ku only.

Reactions: armadillo_115
The pids matched up with channels on Echo110 W ku.
I removed the coax from the ku port on the lnb. No longer any signal from that ku transponder on C band now.
I guess my next step is to rule out if the ecoda 22khz switch is the culprit.I have a spare/new switch somewhere...if I can find the 'safe' place I put it.lol

Reactions: lost_mesa
I'm pretty sure Ecoda 22 kHz switches pass DC to both ports all of the time, and just switch the IF signal. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

I had a problem with an Ecoda 22 kHz switch that I used to switch between separate C band and Ku band dishes. I was having intermittent trouble receiving a weak signal on C band. I discovered that when I disconnected the Ku band coax, the signal improved. Turns out that when I had the Ku band dish pointed at a satellite with a strong signal at the same IF frequency as the C band signal, the C band signal would start breaking up. So I replaced it with a DiSEqC Switch.

Installed new Ecoda switch. Offending ku signal is greatly reduced on C band now.No longer strong enough to lock. Signal does still spike high enough to tell it is there though.

The old Ecoda switch was a bit warm to the touch...not sure if that is normal?

Removed all transponders on 111W C band and did a blind scan - 3239/H did NOT even show up on the list for failed transponders. ( I might add that 111W is the slowest sat to blind scan on my receiver,for what ever reason.Took longer to run the blindscan than to replace the switch in the nosecone.)

I don't believe what signal remains is enough to cause interference. Open to suggestions about any way to reduce it further though?

I'm going to check some of my weaker/problematic channels around the arc and see if I detect any improvement. Thanks again all!

Reactions: lost_mesa
I've had 4140V bleed through a switch and rewrite the TPs on 107.3W from 99W on fixed position dishes. I replaced the switch after that happened twice and edited the SIDs with the channel editor to 0 and haven't had a problem since.

Definite improvement! Weaker signals on both C and KU are now improved.For instance,LPB was unwatchable lately but ok now.All channels are sharper/crisper now. :) Funny,but I never noticed how blurry the picture was until now.Guess because it was failing too slowly to really notice.I haven't been thru all the Sats yet,but I expect comparable improvement across the arc.

I was thinking my guy ropes that center the buttonhook were in need of adjusting...but it looks like the switch fading was the problem all along.System appears to be as good as it ever was.

Sorry, you must want it to look better or changed a connection or output resolution....

DVBS2 CCM signals do not have scaleable resolution and will not be blurry with lower signal quality. It is a digital cliff. Either enough signal is received to extract the digital stream and you have the service, or not enough data is received and nothing is displayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KE4EST
Well Titanium ... micro-pixelation and mini-freezes are gone...I sure IMAGINE a sharper/crisper picture. :whoo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts