What is this?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jogon64

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Northern Mexico
Does anybody know what this is for? I had never seen something like it.

This is a 1.2m (I think) dish used by a chain of drugstores where they get their own tv channel Atv off of 58w in Mexico.

The dish is solid but this wall surrounding 1/3 of the perimeter is mesh.

Sorry for the picture Q but all I had was my cell phone.

BTW what kind of receiver would they be using to get this channel, because I´ve been inside this stores and all they show is this one channel.

Attachments

• dsc0054.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 267
What´s TI?

TI is Terrestrial Interference.

Basically, radiation noise from numerous sources. One being simply the "heat" that concrete and block brick buildings or streets and parking lots would give off. Other sources are electrical transformers, power lines, metal buildings, neon signs, flourescent lamps, etc, etc. A LNBF can actually detect some bands of this "backrgound" radiation or noise. If the "noise" is strong enough, it can interfere with the actual desired signal by obscuring it in the clutter of the noise.

A similar analogy is when we get old and our hearing isn't what it used to be and we are in a large auditorium with lots of people talking, chairs scooting on the floor, silverware clinking and a band playing. It is more difficult to hear the person talking to you across the table.

That "screen" on the side is likely blocking some form of this TI from a nearby source. I would bet that there is either a large concrete building or a power transformer on that side of the dish. Or as Scott mentions in his post below, possibly another ground based antenna like a repeater tower or antenna for a radio station etc.

RADAR

Last edited:
Terrestrial Interference. Other nearby tranmission towers which could overpower the satellite signal being recievd, such as by a microwave tower or something like that. :)

Farmacias del Ahorro, John here in Monterrey. I´ve been paying attention to their dishes at several locations but have only seen this one with the TI shield.

Guapo, perhaps you are right, it does look more like a 1.5m

Most likely, there is something causing them interference at that particular location, and someone learned that if they shield that side of the dish, it will block out the source of the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts