What is your all time favorite shortwave radio?

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Had many shortwave radios over the years, but my all time favorite is the Yaesu FRG-7, sometimes referred to as the Frog 7, made by Yaesu in the mid-1970's. It has no memories like newer radios but it has a nice big speaker in the front, covers 500 KHz - 30 MHz and is a nice, big tabletop radio. Okay, it drifts a bit on warm up, but then is stable to copy digital modes of today. AM tone is very pleasant when listening to shortwave and BC. Not complicated at all to use, and when the room lights are off, it has a nice glow of the tuning, preselector, S meter and MHz dials. Some of these were sold by Sears and Roebuck with the Sears name on them.

So what is you favorite shortwave radio?

Attachments

• Yaesu frg-7.JPG
    Yaesu frg-7.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 413
I currently use a Heathkit SW-7800, a Hallicrafters S-20R and a Panasonic RF-3100 but my favorite is my Farnsworth BC-342N WWII military receiver.

wwii_tableau-7s.jpg~original

Time to update. I sold the BC-342N at the Kutztown PA radio meet back in September (just too heavy at my age). I picked up a Yaesu FRG-7000 from a guy on QRZ which, even though very well packed, Fedex managed to break. It took me 3 months, with the help of the BBB, to get Fedex to pay for the damage but they finally sent a check for the full amount. You'll sometimes see remarks about the FRG-7000 not being as good as the FRG-7 but I haven't seen evidence of that in mine. It works great on my 75' horizontal longwire. It has the Gilfer mods as well and has become my daily SW driver.

First photo shows some of the damage. The crack actually runs across the faceplate, under the S-meter to the Mhz knob. The second photo is after I took it apart, straightened the bent cabinet as best as possible, and glued the broken pieces in place. I'm keeping my eye open for a faceplate or a parts unit to repair it properly.

FRG-7000 damage-1.jpg FRG-7000-8s.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)