What kind of fence post to get?

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I'm going to home depot today to pick up a fence post for my dishes and wanted to know which one to get. I remember there being a thread about it a while ago but i can't find it. What should the gauge or wall thickness of it be? I know it should go about 3 feet into the ground. If I can get one long enough then i'll put both dishes on one pole, one on top of the other. If I can't then I'll get two posts.

The biggest most have is the 2 incher, which will work for both dishes (the mast on the larger one will fit over the 2" pole).

I'd go with 2" ridgid electrial conduct. The fence post is not a long term answer. The actual diameter for 2" conduit is 2-3/8". This will fit the Type II SuperDish.

Mike500 said:
I'd go with 2" ridgid electrial conduct. The fence post is not a long term answer. The actual diameter for 2" conduit is 2-3/8". This will fit the Type II SuperDish.

I'm just looking to putting the standard dish500 up along with the 18" 61.5 dish.

For a dish 500 you need a 1 5/8 outside diameter pole. I used conduit on my dish 500, it was actually 1 7/8 outside diameter, it was tight, but I got it on.

For a Dish 500 I would use 1-1/4 inch rigid conduit as it is reasonably economical and it is galvanized so it will remain rust free for a long time and if you clean off the oil residue it will take paint. As an alternative use 1-1/4 inch schedule 40 iron water pipe.

Paul

John Corn said:
Remember, you can always contact your local steel company and get any diameter you need in any length.
Also worth a try: Metal Supermarkets, a local Ham radio club, or antenna shop.

Look for "tube" not "pipe". Tube is sized for OD, while pipe is sized for ID. The desired ground mast type (wall thickness, yield ksi, material type, unsupported length, etc.) will be determined by wind load placed on the pole. The E* SuperDISH places a 200 lb. load on the top of a ground mast.

AppliedAggression said:
I'm going to home depot today to pick up a fence post for my dishes and wanted to know which one to get. I remember there being a thread about it a while ago but i can't find it.
Search
Search for Keywords: pole mast
Forum: General Dish Network Forum
Search previous: 3 Months

Mike Noyes said:
The E* SuperDISH places a 200 lb. load on the top of a ground mast.
SuperDISH Intall Guide said:
To meet requirements of withstanding 100 m.p.h. wind, attachment to a wall must withstand a 220 lb. force applied in any direction to the end of the mast.

AppliedAggression said:
that's all good and well but this isn't for a superdish.
Ah. My mistake. I didn't read the thread carefully enough. I see I wasn't the only one to assume you wanted help with a SuperDISH ground mast install.

I hope the search link provided you with useful information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts