Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I was looking at this map:

http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/dtv4s.gif

I am in extreme SW rhode island about 93 miles SW of boston, which appears to be on the border of the boston and new york regions, as well as the baltimore one it seems. Is there a way to know for sure if I could get the Boston locals here (I plan on moving back and forth to mass with a mass service address)? I checked the transponder on my receiever, and the signal is strong but I read somewhere else this may be reading another close spot beam, like the NY one.

Last edited:
At this time, there is not an "HD Spot-beam" map. The map you reference is the DirecTV 4S spot-beam map, which is the satellite carrying the SD local channels at the 101 slot.

From what I understand, there is no way to get a transponder map for HD locals, so we have no knowledge how DirecTV is sizing or positioning the HD spot-beams.

Hmmm, thats a much bigger circle around Boston than the other map I was looking at.

But anyway, I did not realize the HD beams would be different, I guess I will have to just take the chance.

Greg Bimson said:
At this time, there is not an "HD Spot-beam" map. The map you reference is the DirecTV 4S spot-beam map, which is the satellite carrying the SD local channels at the 101 slot.

From what I understand, there is no way to get a transponder map for HD locals, so we have no knowledge how DirecTV is sizing or positioning the HD spot-beams.

he didnt ask about HD, only his locals. and the map i posted is 7s,

Well actually I meant to ask about the mpeg 4 boston hd locals which are already online. But I'd like to get standard locals as well.

Thread reset:

The original poster has the subject title, "What local HD spot beat am I in". My answer is correct, as no one knows anything about transponder number assignments for the HD local channels on DirecTV.

The map that Questioner linked was derived from the actual FCC and ITC filings regarding DirecTV 4S, the first spot beam satellite DirecTV launched. This specific map was published in 2002 by Walter Morgan, in opposition to the DirecTV/Echostar merger. The data points included supposed power levels and the centerpoints of each beam. Therefore, some of the sizes of the spots on this map may be smaller than reality.

The map that dragon002 linked was derived from the user community. Users simply plugged in their readings for the six spot-transponders at 101, and the map was derived from those data points. This is definitely the DirecTV 4S satellite at 101 because the spot-transponders in question are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. The DirecTV 7S satellite at 119 only uses 23, 25, 29 and 31 as spot-beam transponders.

So, to answer the original question posed by Questioner, there is no way to check the transponder mapping for the HD locals on DirecTV.

However, regarding the SD locals, here are your options in the New England area:

New York - transponder 20 and 12
Philadelphia - transponder 12 and 4
Boston - transponder 4 and 28
Washington, DC - transponder 18 and 26
Baltimore or Harrisburg - transponder 26

If you get a signal on any of those transponders, then you can get the local channels on those transponders.

Maybe I am just in the right spot, but I get signal strength on the 101 satellite in the 90s to 100 on all of those. The Boston one seems especially strong though.

So, has anyone tried getting NYC locals, sd and hd in Boston?

Does anyone know what sat the HD locals are on?

I am sure the SD locals are on 101

How about the HD locals?

So, has anyone tried getting NYC locals, sd and hd in Boston?

Does anyone know what sat the HD locals are on?

I am sure the SD locals are on 101

How about the HD locals?

The big four locals in hd from NY are CONUS, so they are available everywhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)