What makes someone an athlete?

Agreed. Case in point...

CraigStadlerLg.jpg

If that is your defense then you could almost say that many football players are not a athlete. Have you seen Shaun Rogers in his prime?

...funny, not ONE PERSON posted that to be considered an athlete, you have to play either offense or defense....and any statement that resembles it....:rolleyes:

....And yet everyone has been able to state their opinion as to what their perception of an athlete is....without blood or incident....:D

If that is your defense then you could almost say that many football players are not a athlete. Have you seen Shaun Rogers in his prime?
Being fat doesn't disqualify someone from being an athlete. Lots of baseball players are fat slobs too.

I still am amazed how no one has ever matched the slob-ness of Gilbert Brown who played for the Packers. He was one huge man!

Keep telling yourself that. Are pilots and astronauts athletes too? If you have an engine powering you you are not an athlete. Horses are more athletes than race car drivers.

Pilots who fly in competitive aerobatics or circuit airplane races are most definitely athletes too! Once again, physical exertion and competition, hand-eye coordination. Make any definition to the word athlete and see if this fits. If it doesn't I bet I can use the same definition to disqualify "traditional" athletes like football or baseball players.

People who insist that race car drivers aren't working their asses off in those cars are ignorant! (not stupid, ignorant---a specific word chosen carefully for its specific meaning).

Again, make ANY definition to the word "athlete" and race car drivers fit the bill. Try it.

See ya
Tony

This is sure to get a reaction:

Johnson, the first driver in NASCAR history to win four consecutive titles, received mainstream recognition Monday when he was honored as the Male Athlete of the Year by members of The Associated Press.

Johnson received 42 votes from editors at U.S. newspapers which are members of the AP. Tennis star Roger Federer (30 votes) and Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt (29) were the only other athletes with totals in the double- digits.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4761210"]Jimmie Johnson named AP Male Athlete of the Year - ESPN[/ame]

Agreed. Case in point...

CraigStadlerLg.jpg

Also, anyone that can bike those passes in the Tour de France at the speeds they do - without doping - is an athlete.
Yep...

So, if size is what is one of the determining factors of being an athlete, I guess some football players will not fit under the definition either?

fatlineman.jpg

I agree with Tony's posts... different sports take different skills... is a skateboarder who skates everyday or a a motocross rider who rides several times a week no less or no more athletic than a Boxer who fights every 4 to 6 months, or a skier that competes mainly in the winter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)