What model dish would I need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

quaffin1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I am having Directv installed next week. Choice Extra programming with HD and locals in NC.
This will be a two HD receiver install. Directv installer will perform this install, with proper equipment, I presume.
I will sometimes be using the 2nd receiver at my vacation home on occasions. Like I had been doing with Dishnetwork.
I will have to remove the current Dish 500 and self install a new
Directv dish.
With only one HD receiver at the vacation home, what type Directv dish would I require?
A Slimline-3 or Slimline-5 or other. And briefly, what is the difference in
the different type dishes? For my own knowledge.

Last edited:
I am having Directv installed next week. Choice Extra programming with HD and locals in NC.
I will be using the 2nd receiver at my vacation home on occasions. Like I had been doing with Dishnetwork.
I will have to remove the current Dish 500 and install a new
Directv dish.
With only one HD receiver at the vacation home, what type Directv dish would I require?

If you want HD (sounds like you do) at your vacation home you will want either of the Slimlines, the 3 or 5, the 5 will get ALL the sats so you'll be sure to get all the sats.
If you find you don't need the 110 and 119 you can go with the 3 LNB Slimline set up.

The Slimline is what you need for HD ...

Thanks,
So sounds like I may only really need the Slimline-3 but might one day wish I had the Slimline 5 model, due to future channel additions, etc. etc.
What does having a HD DVR as one of your 2 HD rcvrs due to the dish setup?

At some point I would have to have more than one line running to the house, right?

Anyone correct me if I'm in error, but if the OP is wanting all of the SonicTap music channels, are there a few residing on the 119? That's the understanding that I have about it. I can't receive several SonicTap channels on my D11 box with its Sony Std dish, but I get all of the (SonicTap) channels on my HR22 with the SL5 dish. I am a Premier subs.

Thanks,
So sounds like I may only really need the Slimline-3 but might one day wish I had the Slimline 5 model, due to future channel additions, etc. etc.
What does having a HD DVR as one of your 2 HD rcvrs due to the dish setup?

At some point I would have to have more than one line running to the house, right?

Actually it's the other way around.
The 5 LNB will get you everything for sure TODAY.
D* is migrating most of the channels over to 3 sats, so currently you would need the 5 and in the future the 3.

I'd get one that matched my home installation exactly, so when I go to the vacation home, I don't have to go through the setup every time...That's just me though.

Gl, Eric

It also depends on where your SD locals come from - but since you only narrowed it down to your state where you live, nobody can tell you at this point... :confused: :confused: (hint: a city or zip would SURE help us...)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)