What motor settings to use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
I decided to break this off of my post install and let you guys give me your opion. Below is listed equiptment and the issue I found using dish pointer. You can read through or ignore the ignore parts. Gives a little more backgound. Just look at the this is what I got and this is what it says part. One member said the fortec signal bounce or something is in the way. So next week I'm going to re-align using my satpros dsr-500. That is what I used orig. Any other help would be nice. My zip is 83201 Pocatello, ID. If you come up with something else.

This is what I got-------->Everything is geosatpro except the fortec mercury II receiver. It has the bullet lnbf, the gs-120 motor and the dish (believe it is 39" cannot remember). The place i ordered it from basicly gave me a good deal and it came from satellite av. If I would have known that. I would have ordered it direct. Anway shipping was great. From Satellite av to me was like 3 days fedex. This was like three years ago.

Ignore-------->When I first put up the dish it was great. Then after a couple of wind storms or something the signal went down. I did the string test. Redid and rechecked all the settings. Checked the cables you know go straight to lnbf. No dice. So then I moved.

Ignore-------->Now on the new setup it finds sats asap. But the signal is something else. I will try to play with it next week. Some of the transponders are at 60. Most are some place between and like rtn was 30 or slightly above. I know there is a sweat spot. But when I adjust the dish. Tigthen it down I loose it.

This is what it says and what I'm pointed at--------> I used sadoun website (says powered by dish pointer) and got something interesting using the motor settings. The setting I'm using is for a stab 90. But years ago when I used the sheet that was sent to me. Those numbers worked. But when I looked it up now. It says my settings should be 42.9 for the motor and 23 for the dish (using the geosat 120). But I was closer to the stab 90 but off. Currently at 49 for the motor and 38 for the dish. Give or take you know after setting. (I also have a signal meter) Yes the pipe is level all around.

Ignore---------->Don't know what to say. Maybe next week I'll mark what I have and redo the dish and motor to the gs120 settings. Would help if I could find my old paper work. After all of this time before I moved. I could have 100% messed it up and no relized it. (remeber put marks when you are done. Sadly I did not) So after the first coulple of windstorms.

Anyway Thanks,

Josh

I don't have much to offer you in regards to your settings with just a zip code but I will suggest replacing the long top bolt in the post clamp with a SAE bolt, throw that cheap metric bolt in the trash. There's too much play in the bracket with the supplied bolts, the bolts are undersized. The original hardware is cheap and I don't care what other's say, I have installed many of these dishes and have had many of the bolts snap right off with normal tension. I discovered that by replacing the bolts with SAE (american standard) hardware I could align the dish without complicatons. The goal is to eliminate the slop in the hardware, you may have to ream the holes with a drill bit but don't make them too large, you want the new hardware to fit as tight as possible.

Set the GS120 motor latitude to match your location latitude. Look at the table in the back of the GS120 manual for the dish elevation angle setting. The dish elevation angle will be between 20 - 30 degrees, depending on your location longitude.

Installers may replace the top bolt on the post clamp to tighten the alignment between the post clamp and the elevation bracket, but I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing the dish hardware. It is fully capable of supporting and securely holding the dish in proper position. All newer GEOSATpro 90cm dishes have SAE hardware.

So next week I'm going to re-align using my satpros dsr-500. That is what I used orig. Any other help would be nice.

I have the Satpros, and I find its motor control and dish aiming qualities to be awkward at best, aggravating and next to useless at worst. If you have a Pansat, Coolsat, or Visionsat, those would work better.

I have the Satpros, and I find its motor control and dish aiming qualities to be awkward at best, aggravating and next to useless at worst. If you have a Pansat, Coolsat, or Visionsat, those would work better.

Hi Tron, I'd like to add another candidate to your list of stb's, in regards to these two qualities highlighted above, there's another receiver that seems to be forgotten and overlooked and that's a Captive Works 600S Premium. My second stb was one of these CW's and still today I cherish it's reliability and unique features mainly for these two qualities. I've tried using a number of other stb's for dish aiming, I own at least 20 receivers and everytime I turn back to my CW600SP. Years ago I had to install 3rd party f/ware to fix the AC3 audio bug and also discovered it added an audible sound for signal detection as well, the OSD is easy to see even on a small field test TV and the tuner is stable and sensative to lock even the weak sigs. The blind scan is useless but thats the only con I can recall. I use my CW for every field job and it's proven itself each time and again. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)