What new satellite dishes do I need? I'm very confused...

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I'd like to receive all of the HD channels available because I currently do not receive TruTV HD, G4 HD, or a couple of others.

My two receivers are a VIP622 and a 625.

---

I've just checked my roof and I two Dish 500 satellite dishes.

System Information shows satellites 119, 110, and 61.5 under the "g" section. (all have green blocks underneath them)

The Point Dish screen gives me these values:

Satellite 110 = 75 strength
Satellite 119 = 92 strength
Satellite 61.5 = 59 strength

Other satellites also give me values (eg. 148) but others do not get any signal at all.

---

According to technical support I can have a new dish installed but it will require upgrading my 625 and thus a new 2-year contract. That seems a bit harsh seeing how I am already paying for TV stations that I am not receiving.

What options do I have?

Unless you are on the east coast move the 61.5 dish over to 129. Then you'll get all the national HD channels. Locals/RSN is unknown due to not listing location

Dish moved some HD from 61.5 to 72.7 but all HD is mirrored on 129

Where ya located?

From checking thelist, both markets in Eastern PA (Scranton & Philly) the HD locals are only on 61.5 so if you swing that dish to 129 you'll lose your locals in HD

Wow, you guys respond fast! Thanks for the help!

I'm in Scranton but I do have an OTA antenna, but it's currently in my attic and my wife hates it and I mentioned that I could take it down because we now received HD through Dish as well.

The reason dish said I would need to upgrade the 625 is because it doesn't support MPEG-4 (I think?).

It sounds I have two options though...

1) Switch the 61.5 dish to 129 and lose HD locals. (would I lose anything else?)
or
2) Upgrade 625 receiver and have a 2-year contract.

Even with option #1, would I even get the new TruTV and other new HD channels?

I'm not into sports so I don't even know if I have an RSN. It's no big deal if I lose it.

If I changed from 61.5 to 129 would I still need to replace the 625?

Are there any other options available to keep the 625 AND the HD locals? (eg. adding a 3rd dish to the roof?)

Last edited:
I'm not into sports so I don't even know if I have an RSN. It's no big deal if I lose it.

If I changed from 61.5 to 129 would I still need to replace the 625?

Are there any other options available to keep the 625 AND the HD locals? (eg. adding a 3rd dish to the roof?)
If you swing the 61.5 to 129 you could keep the 625.

Could I get a third dish to keep the HD locals as well?

(I'm guessing I need a technician to re-point the dish from 61.5 to 129?)

You could get a third dish added for 129, but then you need to run all 4 lines into a 44 switch. You could go to dishpointer.com and enter you zip to get settings for 129 if you want to swing the 61.5 dish.

That sounds perfect! With the 1002 + 500 I'll be able to pickup ALL the channels and still use my 625 receiver?

I'm going to give Dish a call and see if they will do that for me. I know when I asked about the 1004 (eastern arc) they wanted $95 for the visit OR $15 (plus $25 cancellation fee) if I signed up for DHPP.

I've been a customer for many years so hopefully they will help me out.

Thanks so much for the help!

Northeastern PA is NY RSN's

129 is useless to us here.
With a look angle of 18 degrees don't count on tuning it.

You either need to Go 100% Eastern Arc, (1000.4) Meaning get your Equipment upgrade, or suffer with the Missing HD channels.
Also what County are you in?
This is also important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts