What new satellite dishes do I need? I'm very confused...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah, my attic is a full attic so my wife doesn't like that the antenna takes up 50% of the space, heh.

That sounds like bad news about 129...

I'm in Luzerne County (zipcode 18704). Remember though, I don't care about sports at all so losing them is no big deal (but it sounds like you're saying that doesn't matter because 129 isn't accessible at my location?)

Northeastern PA is NY RSN's

129 is useless to us here.
With a look angle of 18 degrees don't count on tuning it.

18 elevation isnt that bad. When 148 was active that was a 16 elevation for me in Minneapolis and had no issues

I would say try it. Worse thing that can happen is it doesnt come in then you move the dish back to 61.5

Yeah, my attic is a full attic so my wife doesn't like that the antenna takes up 50% of the space, heh.

That sounds like bad news about 129...

I'm in Luzerne County (zipcode 18704). Remember though, I don't care about sports at all so losing them is no big deal (but it sounds like you're saying that doesn't matter because 129 isn't accessible at my location?)

its accessible just a lower elevation. You should still be able to get it unless you have a big line of site issue

Here's what dishpointer.com gave me:

Satellite: 129.0W Ciel 2 | Galaxy 27
Elevation: 18.6°
Azimuth (true): 243.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 255.9°

The problem is that it's a $95 charge for a technician to come out and try it. I don't have any positioning equipment or else I'd probably give it a try myself. (I'm a software developer and electronics-nut but I've never messed around with the dish placements or tuning, etc).

Is there a "simple" way I can see if I can get it before having a technician come out?

EDIT: I've uploaded a JPEG of the dishpointer.com google maps view. I've placed the height marker on my neighbor's house. You'll also be able to see some trees just grazing the line-of-sight.

Attachments

• 129W.jpg
    129W.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 129W-2.jpg
    129W-2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
IS the 61.5 dish next to the Dish 500 (or within a couple feet from it?)

If it is, just stand behind the DIsh500 (that sees 110/119) and see how well the line of sight is. 129 is right next to the LNB (to the left) so that might be the easiest "roughball" way

I would say try it. Worse thing that can happen is it doesnt come in then you move the dish back to 61.5
This is whats going to happen.:)
If the 129 was accessable in the Northeast with such ease, E* would have never made us use Wing dishes pointed at the 61.5 for years before Eastern Arc came around.

Last edited:
Recently had the same situation. East Coast (west coast of FL) and all my locals were coming off 61.5. Since I pay the equipment protection fee, a new dish only cost me $15. The installer gave me two options: Eastern Arc (EA) or Western Arc. Either way it was a one dish solution. EA dish is larger and could only be mounted on the roof. WA could be mounted on an existing pole bolted on fascia. That was no brainer-keep existing mount. Even with WA, I still receive all SD and HD locals.

It must be very difficult to tune the new WA dish, because a second technician had to come out to re-point it. He said it was off by a hair. Just enough that wind caused pixelation.

If you have never pointed a dish before, it is worth paying to have a pro do it. It will take 2 or more hours to point manually. And that is only if you have someone else watching the receiver meter.

Well, I've spoken with Dish and they are saying I need a 1004 dish and that my 625 receiver needs to be upgraded to a 622 which requires a 24-month agreement.

I'm not here to vent but it doesn't seem to fair because I'm already paying for these channels that I'm not receiving. I lease my equipment as well so it's not my fault they changed technologies and require new equipment. I don't think that cable would renew my contract if they added new channels and thus required new equipment, that would be crazy.

Anyways, I'll have to think about what I want to do... (stay with Dish or cancel for cable service)

I really appreciate all of the help though.

Recently had the same situation. East Coast (west coast of FL) and all my locals were coming off 61.5. Since I pay the equipment protection fee, a new dish only cost me $15. The installer gave me two options: Eastern Arc (EA) or Western Arc. Either way it was a one dish solution. EA dish is larger and could only be mounted on the roof. WA could be mounted on an existing pole bolted on fascia. That was no brainer-keep existing mount. Even with WA, I still receive all SD and HD locals.

It must be very difficult to tune the new WA dish, because a second technician had to come out to re-point it. He said it was off by a hair. Just enough that wind caused pixelation.

If you have never pointed a dish before, it is worth paying to have a pro do it. It will take 2 or more hours to point manually. And that is only if you have someone else watching the receiver meter.
Eastern Arc can be mounted on a pole, or facia mount. It does have a heavier thicker guage mast that has to be used, can't use the trditional 500 or 1000.2 mast, it isn't strong enough. I think the installer you had was not real educated on this. Saying that EA can only be mounted on a roof was nothing close to the truth. There are many different mounting options for the eastern arc dish, not just roofs.
As far as tuning a wa dish, if you have the right equipment, which I assume someone working for Dish or even a sub doing this for a living should have, it is actually easy to tune. I think the guy you had was a moron!! JMHO
icon7.gif

well, the isnstaller will be able to make the final call for you. dish may set it up for ea, but get the installer to show up and tell you what the real deal is. if you dont like his solution you can always cancel.

This is whats going to happen.:)
If the 129 was accessable in the Northeast with such ease, E* would have never made us use Wing dishes pointed at the 61.5 for years before Eastern Arc came around.

NOT true at all. there are lots of markets with good access to 129 that have locals on 61.5.

I dont get why the OP doesnt at least TRY to get 129 before throwing in the towel and having Dish upgrade (and extend his commitment) to EA

also 129 was crap when it was Echo 5

agreed. but its great now IMHO. he probably hasnt tried the 129 because the csr said 'no'. as you and i know the csr he talked to was just telling him what he needed to have based on what the computer told HER. i think he should let the tech show up and take it from there.
maybe, just call in a tech visit without setting up an ea upgrade...

NOT true at all. there are lots of markets with good access to 129 that have locals on 61.5.
Not in Northeastern Pa or New england states.
By all means try it, But 18 Degrees make Line of sight an issue around these parts. If he lives in a wide open field over looking a vally, most lilky he'll get it. But anyone that lives in Northeaster Pa, knows this is not common.
Better mount it on the peak of your roof.

Last edited:
I dont get why the OP doesnt at least TRY to get 129 before throwing in the towel and having Dish upgrade (and extend his commitment) to EA
I've never pointed a dish before so I'm not really sure what's involved. I'm also a bit worried that after moving the dish I won't be able to set it back to where it was and then I'll be without satellite for several days.

I might take my chances with a tech visit, but it seems like the techs only do what's on their work order and if it says to install a 1004 dish I wonder if they would even have an extra Dish 500/1002 to even try. :(

Eastern Arc can be mounted on a pole, or facia mount. It does have a heavier thicker guage mast that has to be used, can't use the trditional 500 or 1000.2 mast, it isn't strong enough. I think the installer you had was not real educated on this. Saying that EA can only be mounted on a roof was nothing close to the truth. There are many different mounting options for the eastern arc dish, not just roofs.
As far as tuning a wa dish, if you have the right equipment, which I assume someone working for Dish or even a sub doing this for a living should have, it is actually easy to tune. I think the guy you had was a moron!! JMHO
icon7.gif
Maybe if I did not live in a tropical storm/HURRICANE zone that might be acceptable. It was something about dish size and wind speed. Winds caused picture break up and they were not even near what I call high winds. They were more adjust you swing a little winds. I could still cast a Clouser or a Turneffe Crab 70' in those winds, if only the water was a little warmer. - that was a plug endorsing burning of oil in the Gulf.

And it would be easy to adjust if you had a good meter.

I've never pointed a dish before so I'm not really sure what's involved. I'm also a bit worried that after moving the dish I won't be able to set it back to where it was and then I'll be without satellite for several days.
if you goof up all you'd be out would be 61.5

It really isnt that hard to do. If you want to try it, just make sure you remember what the elevation is of the dish for 61.5. Also make a mark on the mast of the dish so if it doesnt work you can reline up the dish for 61.5

If you want to pursue it, let us know and we can give some detailed instructions :)

I might take my chances with a tech visit, but it seems like the techs only do what's on their work order and if it says to install a 1004 dish I wonder if they would even have an extra Dish 500/1002 to even try. :(

they could just try and reaim the 61.5 dish to 129 that is on the roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts