Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Well, not quite... but you know what I mean. I bought a GI DSR922 off of Craigs List and it has been sitting in a closet since 2004 or 2005 when the seller moved into town and gave up his BUD.

So, I have a receiver from long before the big chaos of 2010 apparently. (from what I read anyway) I plugged it into a small portable TV in my radio room and have tried to become familiar with the menu and options, but have not plugged it into my 7.5ft BUD coax yet.

I have printed out the directions for a 922 upgrade on 4DTV and here, etc. I logged into WEBSAMS and created an account to be ready to subscribe. So now I'm really confused.
1. There is no X4 or even a W5 on my satellite menu choices list?
2. I assume the battery needs to be replaced. Where do you buy one?

3. Can I plug this into my dish if its pointed at 105W to see if I get a DCII lock? or will this forever make a brick of my $80 bargain?

4. Did I buy a pig-in-a-poke? (antiquated term from the past for those under 50)

5. Will 4D MAPMASTER solve all my worries?

You need to go find 105W and program in satellite G0 at 105. Then go to tr 11 or 13, get a DC lock and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. X4 should appear in the satellite menu. Then you can follow the 4 steps to no brick at my website. 4DTV Online... Final Work Around Instructions

If X4 will not appear you will need to do a master reset and follow the same procedure except you will have lost your full channel maps. If that is the case no big deal since map master will correct the satellite map issue when released. Enjoy the subbed channels until it gets rolled out.

Thank you for your clarity and patience...I'll give it a go after my company leaves tomorrow I hope...

Take it slow! And don't do anything stupid like a master reset as your receiver should already be mapped. Whats your channel count? Options,6,5

Take it slow! And don't do anything stupid like a master reset as your receiver should already be mapped. Whats your channel count? Options,6,5

If the receiver will not download X4 and has no W5 you probably will not be able to do a conversion to 4160's EMM. Then the only way is a MR. When the channel count goes over 4800 thats when problems begin.

If the receiver will not download X4 and has no W5 you probably will not be able to do a conversion to 4160's EMM. Then the only way is a MR. When the channel count goes over 4800 thats when problems begin.

His box maybe worth more as a FTA box than a subscribable unit as it may contain all the old master maps. I wonder if he has G9 118-120. Those were ITC often when i had them.

2. I assume the battery needs to be replaced. Where do you buy one?

Yes!... Replace that battery!

Lithium batteries are available through many catalogs and online sites.

They can be bought at your local Radio Shack store for under $20! :eek:

Radio Shack does not offer much anymore for hobbyists but they have

those batteries and there is usually a Radio Shack close by. Some of us

here (Including myself) replaced the original battery with a "AA" size

lithium cell and installed a double "AA" battery holder. The holder

has its lead wires soldered to the main board and the double holder

allows simple battery replacement in the future. There are threads

here that have all the details but I cannot find them. :eek:

His box maybe worth more as a FTA box than a subscribable unit as it may contain all the old master maps. I wonder if he has G9 118-120. Those were ITC often when i had them.

If you have the old old maps they will get overwritten still on about 5 of the satellites not counting Anik. There are active 4096 maps in muxes that are using that EMM for commercial purposes. 4096 is not dead it just no longer supports the 4DTV UID's. I'll bet Motorola still has everything up and running but denying access to us thats all. I've proven 4096 is still in the steam for certain old master muxes we got.

Yes!... Replace that battery!

Lithium batteries are available through many catalogs and online sites.

They can be bought at your local Radio Shack store for under $20! :eek:

Radio Shack does not offer much anymore for hobbyists but they have

those batteries and there is usually a Radio Shack close by. Some of us

here (Including myself) replaced the original battery with a "AA" size

lithium cell and installed a double "AA" battery holder. The holder

has its lead wires soldered to the main board and the double holder

allows simple battery replacement in the future. There are threads

here that have all the details but I cannot find them. :eek:

Thanks for the tip. I will get a replacement at Radio Shack, next time I'm in town. I am a licensed HAM and have changed out some LED's on my antenna rotor, so should be able to change out the battery w/o blowing it up. I'll clean my bi-focals up first:D

Says channel count is 4508! I am definitely taking it real slow...

If you have 4508 go over to 105 and download X4 using G0 as said above. Then do a 4 step and see if it converts. If not then you have too much data and it will be an issue. You will not loose your generic maps unless you do a MR.

I have 5493 channels in a pre bricked 920 that I restored all maps to. It's now 1/2 converted can't say anything else.:behindsofa:

Last edited:
Okay, hooked up the DSR922 to my C Band coax w/o the motor wires. I am using a dual LNBF so I changed the internal setting to fit that and hooked both coax wires to the 922 (one to C connection and one to K connection as per manual). Using the G0 satellite setting I channel flipped til finding one that gave me a DC green light lock. Let it sit there for a 1/2 hr.

Came back and checked the satellite list. X4 was now there! Highlighted X4 and tried to move to 216. No such channel. It only has a few channels, and only 2 or 3 of those will lock. I may have a LNBF problem. I might switch t out to a single LNBF and try again later. Too hot now.

I did do the 4 step process even though I as on channel 401 instead of 216 on X4. Manually executed a hit through WEBSAMS if I did it right. (What is this supposed to do??) Do I hit "authorization" at this point? I don't want a subscription yet. Ill probably change out the LNB.

Before the hit the options, 6, 5, info was trip counter 0 and channel count 4560. After a hit it was trip counter 5 and channel count 4422?

Another question: Does the self help manual HIT REQUEST cost me anything?

You must be converted to 4160 EMM now H2H since you took a hit. I would try to go back to X4 now and let it sit there another 30 minutes after you resolve your LNB issue and see if everything maps. One mistake people make is they get ahead of themselves and don't let the full map download happen. This corrupts the maps.

TVRO:
It appears you are right. I tried one more time before giving it a rest. I sat on X4 with a green DC light on channel 401 (no chan 216) and after another 1/2hr I did the Options, 6,7,7,8, 0, 1 and it showed the zero. Then I did another hit from WEBSAMS and the EMM went to 4160 as I watched...

When it cools off I will swap out the dual LNB for a single I know works and try again. Thanks for your time and effort You must have no life but 4DTV? Go watch some TV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.