What receiver should I ask for

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bpendrak

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I am completing my new DTV order. Last time I signed up, there was a lot of information saying to ask for one model number receiver over another model. Is that the case with the "Genie" boxes? If so, which model is the one I should be asking for?

The HR44 is the newer Genie, the HR34 was the first one. The 44 is a better unit, but asking for it from Directv is no guaranty you will get it.

Thanks for he quick reply! I am going to request it in the notes for the installer... We'll see what happens. If you don't mind, what are the key differences in the models?

The 44 has a faster processor, and can connect to the internet wirelessly. The clients will be able to connect wirelessly at some point, but they aren't enabled yet. The 44 has an external power supply which allows the chassis to be much smaller than the 34. I think those are the main differences. I'm sure someone else remembers more about it than I do and will post more about it.

Nope, Raoul got it. Those are the key differences between the 34 and the 44.
I would note that even tho the 44 can connect to the internet wirelessly (built in), it's kinda unreliable. So talk to the installer about installoing a wired CCK (it conects directly to your router). It's actually the recommended connection method, but requires an extra coax to be run.. it's worth it tho.. makes the internet connection and On Demand a lot more reliable.
Personally, I love the On Demand stuff, so it's worth it to have the extra cable.

The 44 fixed all my problems I had with my 2 months old 34 and they replaced it after numerous complains (I was a new customer). One more thing, the 44 is silent, no fan that runs continuously. Personally, I would refuse the 34!

The HR44 is the newer Genie, the HR34 was the first one. The 44 is a better unit, but asking for it from Directv is no guaranty you will get it.

Why? If I went to a jewelry store for an engagement ring and the clerk said "Here, this is the one from the top of the stack. You get no choice." I would not buy there. Why can't D* customers get their box of choice. There's a reason why iPhone 3's, for example, don't sell much any more.

Why can't D* customers get their box of choice.
DIRECTV made a business decision to not discriminate on the specific model number or manufacturer. They used to call it "functionally equivalent". Now they used the phrase "new or reconditioned". It gives them great flexibility in installation and replacement and allows them to get the full life out of every unit they purchase into the pool.

Why? If I went to a jewelry store for an engagement ring and the clerk said "Here, this is the one from the top of the stack. You get no choice." I would not buy there. Why can't D* customers get their box of choice. There's a reason why iPhone 3's, for example, don't sell much any more.
It is our (the customer) fault that we accept their obsolete junk. Your option is very simple, keep refusing the installation until you get what you want!

It is our (the customer) fault that we accept their obsolete junk. Your option is very simple, keep refusing the installation until you get what you want!

The HR34 is obsolete?

The HR34 is obsolete?

Yes, it is a piece of junk, obviously they wouldn't admit it. They didn't replace my 2 months old 34 with another 34 but with a 44/41. BTW, all my problems were not unique, all of them were described here by many users. I guess most users are willing (knowingly or unknowingly) to live with these problems, I as a new customer was not.

I don't want to hear that all these problems can and will be fixed with software updates. If they could fix these problems with software updates, they had almost 2 years to do it. There is so much you can do with software updates if your hardware is your limiting factor. Clearly, their decision was to completely redesigned the hardware basically with identical specifications. Any Hardware Design EE will understand the implication of such decision.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts