What receivers work with A1000.2 AND King Tailgater antennas

pinkertonk

Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Alabama
What receivers work with A1000.2 AND King Tailgater antennas?

I currently have a Wally but want something with a dvr that will record while watching something else. So far I haven't anything that wasn't single tuner. Are there other option that will work with either antenna?

I have a Wally for use in the camper with a Playmaker antenna. I added an external hard drive to it that provides DVR functions. Usually they charge a one time fee of $40 to activate this feature. I think this will do what you want.
I also have a Wally with the external drive. It works but you can only record what you are watching.

What I'm looking for is a different receiver that will work with BOTH the Playmaker and A1000.2 antenna and allow me to record and watch something else at the same time.

I was under the impression that dual tuner was part of the deal with EHD-enabled Wally using the right antenna. If not, my bad.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
Well, I just educated myself by reading the dual tuner Wally thread.

When I was unable to record and watch something else, I was on the King Tailgater. Earlier this week, I got help hooking up to an A1000.2 antenna. I did notice that it showed 2 tuners although I did not test for them.

If what I think I read in the other thread is correct, ALL properly updated Wallys have 2 tuners. However, the antenna has to support it or it will only act like it has 1. The King Tailgater does NOT allow 2 tuners but the A1000.2 does.

Is that correct?

Well, I just educated myself by reading the dual tuner Wally thread.

When I was unable to record and watch something else, I was on the King Tailgater. Earlier this week, I got help hooking up to an A1000.2 antenna. I did notice that it showed 2 tuners although I did not test for them.

If what I think I read in the other thread is correct, ALL properly updated Wallys have 2 tuners. However, the antenna has to support it or it will only act like it has 1. The King Tailgater does NOT allow 2 tuners but the A1000.2 does.

Is that correct?
With the Tailgater, I believe that you would be able to have 2 tuners but both tuners have to be off the same satellite. Because the Tailgater only looks at a single satellite at a time you wouldn't be able to, say, watch a channel on 110 and record a channel off of 129.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
With the Tailgater, I believe that you would be able to have 2 tuners but both tuners have to be off the same satellite. Because the Tailgater only looks at a single satellite at a time you wouldn't be able to, say, watch a channel on 110 and record a channel off of 129.

I can test that tomorrow. Is there an easy way to know what channels are on what sat?

Don’t bother testing that. You are limited to one tuner on any auto-aligning dish, with the only exception being the winegard trav’ler (essentially a 1000.2 with a motor). If you want dual tuner functionality or multi-tuner receivers in an RV you need either the aforementioned Trav’ler or to have a 1000.2 on a tripod and learn how to align it yourself.
Another misconception is that you need to activate DVR service to enable the second tuner, this is also incorrect. The tuner works even before you do that on a DPP or DPH signal, it just doesn’t do anything with the tuner besides guide and software downloads in the background.

You are limited to one tuner on any auto-aligning dish, with the only exception being the winegard trav’ler
How about the case of using an auto-aligning Playmaker Dual or Tailgater Pro, or others with dual outputs, then using this type of dish with two Wallys...either feed two different TVs OR feed the outputs of two Wallys to two different HDMI inputs on one TV, thus allowing multiple tuners. According to the descriptions of those dishes, each receiver could be tuned to (and record) different channels.

1648563379221.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
How about the case of using an auto-aligning Playmaker Dual or Tailgater Pro, or others with dual outputs, then using this type of dish with two Wallys...either feed two different TVs OR feed the outputs of two Wallys to two different HDMI inputs on one TV, thus allowing multiple tuners.
Yeah, probably should of been a little more specific and say that multi tuner functionality in a single box was not possible.

According to the descriptions of those dishes, each receiver could be tuned to (and record) different channels.
Sort of, but not really. These auto aligning dishes only have one LNB inside them, so you end up with a master-slave system where the main receiver has control of which satellite said LNB should be looking at, while the second receiver just has to use the only thing it can get, which is the same satellite currently in use by the primary. So if you want to record a show from the same satellite the primary is recoding/watching then you are fine, but as soon as the primary switches satellite you get signal loss and a interrupted recoding on the secondary. So it does sort of work but you would have to have something like this webpage for guidance or a general idea of where your channels are located.

Reactions: charlesrshell
multi tuner functionality in a single box was not possible.
But two strapped-together Wallys in a single bakelite box just to keep it retro might be nice.

you end up with a master-slave system where the main receiver has control of which satellite said LNB should be looking at, while the second receiver just has to use the only thing it can get
Excellent description. The Marketing department should somehow include that to expound upon "Watch different channels on two TVs."

I wonder if a multiple-LNB dish could be incorporated into something close to the form factor of the Playmaker-type units.

I wonder if a multiple-LNB dish could be incorporated into something close to the form factor of the Playmaker-type units.
If it was economically and physically feasible, the "dome" companies would likely have done it already. Most likely there isn't enough market to make developing a unit like that worthwhile even if they could figure out how to stuff it in the small dome form factor without making it even more susceptible to rain fade than the domes already are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)