What Sat to use to point to true south

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTAer0024

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Sunny North FLA
I will be installing Ku dish motor next weekend, and have a question.. can Nimiq 4 signal be used to align the dish? It appears to be the closest sat to true south and Lyngsat shows one channel in the clear on that sat.

Thanks,
Ben

I will be installing Ku dish motor next weekend, and have a question.. can Nimiq 4 signal be used to align the dish? It appears to be the closest sat to true south and Lyngsat shows one channel in the clear on that sat.

Thanks,
Ben
In that case use AMC 9 which is at 83.0°W for your true South Satellite. In my case my true south is 71.03°W, but I use 72.0°W, AMC 6 as my most southern Satellite.

Last edited:
You are way out of the footprint for Nimiq 4 in Florida. And you need a receiver capable of Turbo FEC to see the open channel anyway. So you will need to use 83W as Babadem suggested.

yeah 83W would be the best option since there really isnt any other sat around that has programming on it :)

Im at 84.1 but I use AMC9 for mine to at 83W because I can always count on RTV at 11735.

Thanks to all, I will use the 83W sat then.

Magic Static, I am a bit confused by your comment.. even if dishpointer.com's arrow on the map is not red, the sat can still out of the footprint for my area? I am new to this hobby, please be patient :)

Name: 82W NIMIQ 4​
Distance: 36803km
Elevation: 54.7°
Azimuth (true): 181.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 187.0°
LNB Skew [?]: 0.9°
arrow-r.png

Dish Setup Data

You are way out of the footprint for Nimiq 4 in Florida. And you need a receiver capable of Turbo FEC to see the open channel anyway. So you will need to use 83W as Babadem suggested.

Yes you have line of sight to that sat but,Nimiq 4 is a spot beam directed toward Canada only. And it is a DBS sat which which uses 8PSK Turbo modulation and circular polarity(not to be confused with DVBS2) which only a Genpix receiver can do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)