What Satellites will a Dish 508 Pick Up?

dave-dtw

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Detroit
I have a 508 DVR that I would like to put back into service but I am now pointed at 61.5 and whatever other satellite(s) that catches (72/77?) My question is, would I need to reinstall my old Dish 500 to point at 110/119 or will it pick up signal from my current configuration? Thanks to any and all who respond to this.

But since he is on EA the account is flagged as such (as MPEG4 only) and he couldnt activate that even if he put up a D500

Iceberg said:
But since he is on EA the account is flagged as such (as MPEG4 only) and he couldnt activate that even if he put up a D500

He could get a csr that knows what they are doing and change the orbital tags on the acct to be western arc and remove the mpeg4 only tag and it would work and if he has the sp he can RA the 50x and get a 512 for free.

He could get a csr that knows what they are doing and change the orbital tags on the acct to be western arc and remove the mpeg4 only tag and it would work and if he has the sp he can RA the 50x and get a 512 for free.

I believe the 512 will have a DVR fee that the 508 dosen't, a PM to a DIRT team member may be the easiest method of getting an MPEG2 receiver on a EA xccount if they can still do it.

Well since dish is requiring the replacements of 501/508s to be 512 they are waiving the dvr service fee and making the amt per month still at only 7 as opposed to 10. That only matters if the 501/508 is the only dvr on the acct and if the 501/508 is not the most expensive rcvr on acct. Which of it was the most expensive its per month charge is included in the package.

Oh and to expand on that the dvr fee is an acct level fee so if the op has a dvr already that dvr service wont be waived. But the bill will only increase by $7

ckhalil18 said:
The OP's location is Detroit so he can have both EA and WA or just convert to full WA only.

According to the dish acct system it is either/or. It makes no difference at all when it comes to programming for the most part. It may just provide confusion for some csrs but as long as the op knows he has 2 dishes and what they are for he can explain it and wont make a big deal out of it. The acct says EA or it says WA. And other parts have the orbital tags to show which sats you "see" so it is like changing the address just doing it to "trick" the system to giving you what you want.

To the OP: If you put up the dish 500, I can activate your 508

I couldn't say how long it will be good for (since QPSK equipment is being phased out), but I can do it.

Wow … I went on a business trip and came back to this ... so much information … and I actually understood most of it!

I think the bottom line for me is that since it would only be a temporary solution, I will cool my jets for a while. I was going to put this unit in my work room so it’s not critical for me at this time.

But thanks to everyone who replied: Harshness, Iceberg, Dishman1978, csmigh5111, boba, ckhalil18 and MattG. I am constantly amazed at the level of expertise and assistance that is doled out here for the asking … I can only hope to pay it forward somehow.

Thanks guys.

So Dish just came out last week to repoint my second dish from 61.5 to 129 since I finally got the letter about loosing channels on 61.5. My other dish is still pointed at 110 & 119. I have a 622 receiver as well as a 508 receiver. So does this mean that some time soon I will have to have them out again to replace my 508? Why didn't they do both at once? I did make sure when I called in that I informed them multiple times that I had a 508 receiver and did not want to loose programming on that box if they did a repoint and was assured that it would not. Just seems strange to not take care of it all at once if QPSK equipment is being phased out SOON.

So Dish just came out last week to repoint my second dish from 61.5 to 129 since I finally got the letter about loosing channels on 61.5. My other dish is still pointed at 110 & 119. I have a 622 receiver as well as a 508 receiver. So does this mean that some time soon I will have to have them out again to replace my 508? Why didn't they do both at once? I did make sure when I called in that I informed them multiple times that I had a 508 receiver and did not want to loose programming on that box if they did a repoint and was assured that it would not. Just seems strange to not take care of it all at once if QPSK equipment is being phased out SOON.

While its anyone's guess I feel there are at least a couple of years left for the legacy receivers.There are still a lot of those receivers in the field and they still allow them to be subbed.Who knows with dish they may decide to keep the old receivers in service period.

Gasman raised a new question for me ... is there any advantage to being pointed at 61.5 versus 129? It seems that at 61.5, my reception is much more fickle than it used to be before I had HD. Can I request to be pointed at 129, even if there is a fee associated with that?

There really isn't any advantage to having 61.5. In fact all of the national HD is being moved to 72.7 for EA subs. I'm sure DIRT can help you out with switching to 129. I'm in the Detroit area and I use 129 for HD and never had signal problems except during really severe weather.

Sweet ... thanks CK. What else are you picking up besides 129? I have the Turbo HD dish set-up with three eyeballs ... I have hung and pointed my own dish since 1999 so I have no probem dealing with that myself if they'll let me.

Just be sure to put it into service. If you wait, and they phase them out, I wouldn't count on them replacing 508s that are not active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)