What should I do with older Dish receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
the 5xx series were great in the day, but will dish even activate them anymore?

As far as I know you can no longer activate any QPSK receivers. Dish has been actively upgrading accounts with any QPSK receivers any time a work order is issued for a customer.

As far as I know you can no longer activate any QPSK receivers. Dish has been actively upgrading accounts with any QPSK receivers any time a work order is issued for a customer.

they are upgrading them to receivers that can do 8PSK (like a 311 if you have a 301)
But they might still be activating QPSK receivers. I know a few months ago I found an old 501 and Matt said it could be activated....found out it was shot but still...

I too have a bunch of old receivers that I have not decided what to do with, they are all VIP ones, so they are still good. I used to have them all active, but when Dish jacked up the fees, it was not worth it.

I did a Dish Chat a few days ago asking if could swap a 222 for two 211's. The CSR told me yes, but it would cost $95 for an installation fee and I would have to sign a new 2 year service agreement. I've been with Dish for at least 12 years, so the new service contract requirement is, IMO, ridiculous just to get a new receiver. And I don't need to pay $95 for something I can install myself. Anyway, my question pertinent to this thread is that I have an old 811 that I own. Is this receiver still able to be activated? I'm on the Western Arc.

I did a Dish Chat a few days ago asking if could swap a 222 for two 211's. The CSR told me yes, but it would cost $95 for an installation fee and I would have to sign a new 2 year service agreement. I've been with Dish for at least 12 years, so the new service contract requirement is, IMO, ridiculous just to get a new receiver. And I don't need to pay $95 for something I can install myself. Anyway, my question pertinent to this thread is that I have an old 811 that I own. Is this receiver still able to be activated? I'm on the Western Arc.

Not if you have a Hopper setup. Only a 211 family receiver can be activated on a hopper account.

No you cant activate the 811. It's not an mpeg 4 receiver, so you can't get any HD with it, other than locals with an antenna.

Swapping a 222 for 2 211's will require changing the wiring setup, it is not a straight swap. That's why they want to roll a tech. If you don't want a contract extension, then you need to buy the 211's. Leased equipment comes with a contract extension

Appreciate the responses to my question. I know about the wiring issue which I can address. I do not have a Hopper account. As I read your responses, I seem to recollect that MPEG2 still worked on the Western Arc as only the Eastern Arc required MPEG 4. Is that true?

Check to see if there is an electronics amnesty program in your area. Electronic devices should not be disposed of in the regular trash.

Planning to drop at the local electronic recycler a 2800 and a 4700 and an original 501 from when it initially rolled out that never had to be replaced due to failure. Found it all in my storage area recently as I'm going through it to clear things out.

I have a 2800 and 2 508's going to the electronic recyclers here, along with a lot of misc computer hardware. I cleaned a lot out a couple of years ago, but it seems to accumulate quickly

I have a 2800 and 2 508's going to the electronic recyclers here, along with a lot of misc computer hardware. I cleaned a lot out a couple of years ago, but it seems to accumulate quickly

That is because computer equipment becomes obsolete quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)