What should I expect

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinkfloyd1173

Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
fullerton, ca
Well I am getting DTV this SAT, and just wanted to know what are the pros and cons? I am coming from Uverse, which is a nightmare, I have had the service a month and it is really bad the enternet works sometimes and the tv all the channels have audio and video issues, anyways just wanted to see if any one can give me some tips. thanks.

Well, Direct TV has been in the TV giving business for a long time.
The service itself is pretty rock solid.
Personally, I believe that the product is top notch.
What equipment did you order?

Can't imagine Uverse itself being that bad. Probably installation related. Regardless of the type of service if not installed properly the service itself usually takes the hit.

kj.....gettin a late start this evening...you tired? You must have actually had to work today. LOL

well i got a dvr hd receiver and a hd receiver for the other room, plus I have enternet from att the the 24mps download speed. dont know which ones they are giving me but will let you know as soon as i get it!

Dude its really bad, like i said had 4 techs come out and they cant figure it out???? They replaced all the hardware twice, and still cant get it right.

From what I have read the picture quality on Uverse has a lot to do with how far you are from the node.

Can't imagine Uverse itself being that bad. Probably installation related. Regardless of the type of service if not installed properly the service itself usually takes the hit.

Uverse has been a total bomb in these parts.
I think it has less to with the install and more to do with the infrastructure in your area.

well i got a dvr hd receiver and a hd receiver for the other room, plus I have enternet from att the the 24mps download speed. dont know which ones they are giving me but will let you know as soon as i get it!

Yeah models are not guaranteed.
However. that setup is the best you can get for free.
If you want to be able to pause/rr/ff live TV in the secondary room, then go ahead and pay the $99 to upgrade your HD receiver to an HD/DVR.
If you try and do it later, it will cost double.

Its new to them, too. They are struggling I'm sure with out of the ordinary problems. Learning curve.

Yeah but who wants to spend full price for a learning curve?

From what I have read the picture quality on Uverse has a lot to do with how far you are from the node.

That would make sense as the further the distance with anything, the lower the quality.
I would also not be surprised if the number of people on the node (both Uverse and internet) the quality can be affected.
Dunno for sure though.

Dude its really bad, like i said had 4 techs come out and they cant figure it out???? They replaced all the hardware twice, and still cant get it right.

Thats because the issue isn't on the inside, it's out in the plant.
Could be a number of reasons, most is bandwidth related, if you dropped down a level it would probably work fine.
Some people are OVER sold in the first place, so you may be able to get exactly what you want, in a lower level, and save money at the same time.

Uverse has been a total bomb in these parts.
I think it has less to with the install and more to do with the infrastructure in your area.

All depends on what part of the country your in, areas that it has been available for, for awhile now probably runs well and those areas that it's new in as mentioned earlier, theres a learning curve.

That would make sense as the further the distance with anything, the lower the quality.
I would also not be surprised if the number of people on the node (both Uverse and internet) the quality can be affected.
Dunno for sure though.

It doesn't work QUITE that way as there are nodes all over the place.
Yes, the farther away you are from the CO (VRAD) the larger loss you'll have, but they should not be accepting to turn on in these cases, however, many extended areas are offered to have it, with the understanding that they are past the normal ranges, if they accept they even have a feedback section where these people will report in once a month with opinions and adjustments.... of course they are compt for thier efforts.

Dunno for sure though.

D* had a huge learning curve as well and they all paid the same price.

Theres a large learning curve with D* to this day and we all pay the same money .... look at all the good and bad installers, the good ones know whats going on and the others, may or may not have a clue..... but we pay the same price for the one that doesn't know whats going on as the veteran high qualified one.

Dude I was a block away from the node, thats what the tech told me, he could not figure it out, that was the last tech that came to my house. Thats when I made my up my mind and got DTV.

D* had a huge learning curve as well and they all paid the same price.

Theres a large learning curve with D* to this day and we all pay the same money .... look at all the good and bad installers, the good ones know whats going on and the others, may or may not have a clue..... but we pay the same price for the one that doesn't know whats going on as the veteran high qualified one.

Yeah, but I never had satellite during its learning curve.
Never would have either as cable used to be a better more reliable product.

Also used to feel the same about DSL but DSL has stepped up in the years and in my area is much better then cable.

As far as good vs bad installers goes, it is getting better.
most the bad ones have jumped on the same boat as the goods one or got out all together.
Reason being is they are doing a lot more QC's and the bad installers are getting tired of having to go back and fix the work or get back charged for the job.
Also, every the equipment is getting more fickle where they job better be done right or it might not work.
All that being said what we are now left with is guys who do the job neatly and then the new guys who take forever to get t done right but eventually get it.

Now, if the industry paid what it should, the turnover rate would drop, and the new guys would be less and less resulting in better techs and better customer service for the customers.
Used to be a guy like me could make almost double, gas was 1/3 the price, and materials were paid for.
Most techs are barely above the poverty line and trying to feed their families.
Remember that next time you have some guy bolting stuff to your roof and drilling holes in your home.

Of course, this has a lot to with customers expecting everything for free too and bucking custom labor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)