DirecTV just installed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

carlosnindy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I think I made a big mistake not getting 2 DVR's. I didn't want to pay the $99 extra for the extra HR-24 and now realize I made a huge mistake. I called withing 2 hours of installation and they want $199 now. I have 24 hours to cancel if I want I guess and redo it all on another order, but that seems so silly. The UI is going to take getting used to. Love having Disney in HD and ESPNU HD as well.

Call them back and tell them you asked for 2 dvrs and they messed up the order.
They will send a tech out with another DVR for $99

Do it now though or regret it for 2 years.

Tough perdicament there. I can't tell you not to do what kjlued recomended, that is your call.

Once installed they are not real helpful on the cost for equipment until your close to the end of your two year agreement. Did you try calling a second time to see if anyone else was more compasionate?

Tough perdicament there. I can't tell you not to do what kjlued recomended, that is your call.

Once installed they are not real helpful on the cost for equipment until your close to the end of your two year agreement. Did you try calling a second time to see if anyone else was more compasionate?

I do several upgrades where the work orders were wrong and I am just either bringing out an additional receiver or swapping one out.
They are supposed to give you a week to make changes (maybe it is 2 weeks but I know at least a week).
However, the sooner the better.

If they still refuse to do it for the $99 then tell them to come get there sh*t and you better not see a single dime charged to your credit card or you will refuse it and see them in court.
You will then either get put on hold as they talk to a supervisor or get transferred to the account retention department.

End result will be an HD/DVR for $99

I think I made a big mistake not getting 2 DVR's. I didn't want to pay the $99 extra for the extra HR-24 and now realize I made a huge mistake. I called withing 2 hours of installation and they want $199 now. I have 24 hours to cancel if I want I guess and redo it all on another order, but that seems so silly. The UI is going to take getting used to. Love having Disney in HD and ESPNU HD as well.

I made the same mistake on my order and regretted it. I thought there was a 30 day limit where I could make changes, but reading another post on the forum here, I read from a person who replied that a change must be made within 14 days and the change would be granted as long as it was in a 14 day period. I won't throw anyone's name out in the forums, but if you scan forums, you will find the post within the past two weeks.

Good luck , hope you get the upgrade as quickly as possible!

I am thinking of going the retention route. I have 24 hours to cancel and I dont think they will let me since they have done the install. We will see though

I called back again and the customer service rep hooked me up with another HDDVR to exchange for one of my standard boxes for no cost! I should be set now. Outstanding result. I will now have 2 HDDVR's, an HD box, and a standard box all at no upfront costs at all. I am extremely satisfied.

I'm glad it all worked out.

You always had this is fall back on - tell them to come get there stuff.
That always works out well.
When you're trying to get someone to do you a favor they respond to this really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

When you're trying to get someone to do you a favor they respond to this really well.

Really bad that is the way it works.

What I find really funny is when a customer out of contract (with either D* or E*) calls up trying to get a basic upgrade for free.
Then the SP refuses to give it to them without charging.
So, the customer calls and the other company and sets up a new account getting everything they want for free plus a 1 year discount.
Then when I am changing them out and they cancel, the previous company then trys to do whatever it takes to keep them.

Sorry, but too little too late.

I actually like the fact they it comes to this as it keeps me working.

That rep that gave you the 2nd hddvr will probably get yelled at. Not supposed to give it to you free should of been the 99. I just hope it was not one of my people i trained them better then that.

I think I made a big mistake not getting 2 DVR's.

I had the same second thoughts after my order and ended up calling in and paying the $99 to have a second HD DVR added to my order (going from a 722k and a 722 to 3 tuners was a bridge too far, even with Whole Home DVR service.)

They have yet to do the install, so it was just a matter of removing my order from the system and then re-entering it with the second DVR in place of the standard HD receiver..

So I called, and soon thought I was in the twilight zone.

Me: Can you see my order?
Rep: Yes.
Me: I want that exact order, but instead of the standard HD receiver for my second receiver, I'd like an HD DVR receiver as my second receiver. So, two HD DVR receivers on my account for a total of two receivers. I have my credit card on hand to pay the $99 upgrade fee.

Forty-five minutes later...they didn't know about DNS channels out of New York -- that they existed; they didn't think I needed the AM21 --actually first they didn't know what it is and then they said I shouldn't get it-- even though I wanted it to pick up the channels I can't get via DNS; my bill was $10 higher a month for the same channels; finally my credit card "didn't have funds" until I read the card number back again, very, very, very, very slowly...)

I got the feeling the representative was a trainee as she keep going to mute (rather than hold.) I assumed she was "Y-jacked" in with someone else.

The good news is after all of that and the sounds of frustration seeping out of my generally calm phone demeanor, I got an additional $5 off per month for 24 months from my initial package, which pays for the upgrade in the long run.

Of course, this experience was no different than dealing with Dish so I'll just call it par for the course and I am hopeful that once the installation is complete I'll be able to do the majority of my interaction with D* online. I just prefer it that way across the board. Having worked in the call center industry years back, I know first hand that CSR Roulette is a necessary evil in that with any given room of agents, 25% are going to be awesome, 50% are going to be average and 25% or going to make you wish you got the other 75% on the first call. :D

Last edited:
I got the feeling the representative was a trainee as she keep going to mute (rather than hold.) I assumed she was "Y-jacked" in with someone else.

I have learned over the years that when it start going like that, just to hang up and call back.
I have learned to see the signs of a trainee and just don't have time for them to learn on my dime.
Of course, usually if I call, the call itself is putting me behind on my already tight schedule.

They really need to get an installer only number that doesn't send you through 5 minutes of automated prompts and give us more tech savvy csr's as we are usually dealing with a problem.

That rep that gave you the 2nd hddvr will probably get yelled at. Not supposed to give it to you free should of been the 99. I just hope it was not one of my people i trained them better then that.
Thats makes me want to yell at them, I've been a customer for quite sometime and I had to fight to get one for free. I wanted another and all that they claimed was $99 was the best they could do.

Let's wait for the first bill. :) I got a feeling that it will be corrected and he will get charged for it. As a customer, I hope he doesn't but I've seen so many stories where customers get promised something free just to find out they get charged in their first bill.

Right now, I'm at a hault, I don't want to upgrade anything , Just in case I go the Cable route.:)

I would love to have another HD DVR, but I won't risk the 24 month commitment.

Boy she really got a deal.. I hope they stick to it. When I called back on the 29th day, I got the CSR shuffle, then asked for the Supervisor. They would not budge and told me that an additional HDDVR with shipping fees would be $250.00.. $250.00 !!!!!???? They wouldn't even guarantee that it would be a HR24-500...

The original install I ended up with was 2 H24-200 and a HR23-700, which is slow and the RF remotes don't work past 10'!! I hung up with them and just waited while surfing online and finally found a HR24-500 for $169 and a small shipping fee which was still under $199 and then added it to the account when it arrived. I shuffled the units around and added the h24 to a spare room which is used for guests..

At least I have 2 HDDVR's now for the spouse's recordings which sometimes have 3 shows taping at once, and not tying me up from moving to a separate room to watch my shows when I want and still able to make the family happy. At some point I have a relative which s upgrading their service, and maybe if D* lets me I can transfer the spare H24 to them so they don't have to pay for one with their upgrade and they can take the upcoming 6$ per receiver fee, If not, then I will simply send one back.

I just had something similar happen, I called to ask some more info from Direct cause I wanted 2 HD DVR HR 24's on the 5th, they way I had it configured it online there would be a $99 fee, I still wasn't 100% on signing up, but the CSR said she could waive the fee if I signed up right then on the phone right then and there. So I said go ahead and set it up, and confirmed multiple time the 2 HD DVR's and also by there model number so there was no confusion. So that was that and then setup and install day.

Installer comes out yesterday and I first confirmed the receivers before I let any work begin, and what do you know they had me setup for 1 HD DVR and just a regular HD receiver, not what had been agreed upon and setup over the phone. Installer said I should just call Direct TV and reschedule because he only had 1 HD DVR on the truck.

So I called Direct, first CSR kept repeating herself about how my
Second hd receiver was the one that the fee was waived on and I tried to explain what Happend and how on the website it doesn't charge you at all for that setup, then the call dropped, luckily I guess for me....So I called back for round 2, differend CSR this time and very polite, and he understood what had Happend and said very few people have authority to waive that fee, I then said well I know you record our conversations and I confirmed it many times and that's the reason why I signed up! So he took all the information and was going to escalate the issue to the proper people that would review the call and see what Happend and someone would call me back. So I have been waiting Day 2 now so who knows when they call me back, now I have no TV cause I cancelled E* so I'm SOL right now which kind of sucks. I'm worried now what else was messed up on the order so I don't know where to go from here, might just have to get FIOS or Cable.

Lmao!:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts