DirecTV just installed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Was doing some reading here this morning after having my DirecTV installed last night. I had originally gotten an HD-DVR (HR24) and an HD receiver for a second room. Some folks here had recommended getting two HD-DVRs rather than just 1 DVR and 1 HD receiver, but I didn't pay attention at the time.

I didn't realize until this morning that on the non-DVR set, I cannot pause/rewind live TV (makes sense now that I think about it). Even though it's post-install I figured I'd call up and ask what could be done, hoping that I would get the $99 rate.

I was polite and upbeat throughout my inquiry. The woman I spoke with was very courteous. She first said that since it was post-install that the account was locked and that I would have to pay the $199 price. I then said "Oh, but I thought I read somewhere that changes could be made within the first 14 days?" at which point she did some more checking and at first said I could get the $99 price, but then said "Wait a second. What if I..." and I hear clicking/typing in the background. She comes back and says "I think if I process this as a replacement that you can get it at no charge. Let's see if it goes through."

Sure enough, it went through as a $0.00 order. I have no idea how she did it, but the HD-DVR (not sure what model I'll get) has already been shipped. Needless to say, I was quite appreciative and complimentary, and reiterated that to the "confirmation person" who I was transferred to.

Based on this experience, and experiences I've had with other companies, I think that frequently the end result is all in how you approach the CSR and how courteous you are to them.

YMMV.

P.S. In my first 3 calls to DirecTV I'm already impressed by the fact that not once did I end up speaking with someone in India...

I was mistaken on that issue and apologize.

I have been told one year by CSR in the past but I think now that was just on replacing defective receivers where the customer did not have the service protection.

You got this one wrong, too. Replacing defective leased equipment never extends a commitment, with or without the protection plan. The only thing the plan does in this case is give you free shipping.

You got this one wrong, too. Replacing defective leased equipment never extends a commitment, with or without the protection plan. The only thing the plan does in this case is give you free shipping.

Well, IF I got it wrong, then I was told wrong by several CSR's which means there is a ton of misinformation out there.
Forgive me if I don't take your word as all I am given is conflicting information (not saying you are wrong).

So, maybe somebody can post a definitive on what does and does not extend contracts.
Stonecold maybe? As you seem to be the most knowledgeable in this area.

As far as all this stuff goes, there is absolutely no training in this area for techs (at least in this area) and we are pretty much told not to get in to it.
Some apparently thinks that makes you a bad tech (whatever, I guess that would mean that a CSR that can't put a dish in is a bad CSR)
However, I would still like to know if for nothing else, my own knowledge.
Still will not get in to it too much though as rules seem to be changed as much as I change my underwear (once a week).

Chip is right, replacing a defective "leased" (that is the key) receiver does not trigger a new two year commitment. There has been confusion in the past with CSR's doing that incorrectly. The PP makes no difference other than shipping, replacing owned equipment, wiring and dishes.

But if it is owned, and defective equipment is replaced then it does?

A chart would be nice.

Hemi, you see, with all the stipulations, you can't blame a tech for not knowing what extends contracts and for how long.
So, can I please come do an install at your house? lol

There was a chart as a sticky, but it is going to be revamped. It's one that SC made.

But if it is owned, and defective equipment is replaced then it does?

A chart would be nice.

Hemi, you see, with all the stipulations, you can't blame a tech for not knowing what extends contracts and for how long.
So, can I please come do an install at your house? lol

You are right, it is confusing, but if you aren't absolutely sure, don't say anything, or say you aren't sure. One of our tasks here is to be sure the right information is given out.

Well, until I was corrected, I was sure.

I never argued with the corrections but people just jumped all up and down instead of informing and as a result, I will never be allowed to do an install at Hemi's house and that makes me sad. :(

Leave me out of it.
I said what I had to say.
You want to Start calling me out, then you go right ahead if it makes you feel more like a man.

Dude, I was just making light of the situation.
I would think it was pretty obvious it was a joke.
I guess it can be hard to tell somebodies thoughts and feelings through text though, so I apologize if you thought I was "calling you out".

I will also go on record (although some of my thoughts have not changed) and say right or wrong things got out of hand yesterday from all parties and leave it at that.
But believe me, I hold no ill feelings or grudges to you or anyone else on the internet and would gladly buy you a beer (as long as it isn't some crap beer like bud lt) in person no matter how much we may disagree.

I But believe me, I hold no ill feelings or grudges to you or anyone else on the internet and would gladly buy you a beer (as long as it isn't some crap beer like bud lt) in person no matter how much we may disagree.
Agree!:)
Lets move on.

Welcome to the site !
Directv side is lacking here, so many of us tend to get on the defensive when some minor information is mis posted.
It happends!

This site gives us the freedom that the others don't get.

You'll get the hang of things.

I'm flat out Blunt when I don't agree with something Directv does and what Dish Network does , and Some people HATE me for it.
But thats fine , becuase I know some like me for it as well.

I try not to make it personal, but sometime it comes off that way, and it shouldn't.

But I think you'll see you and I will be fine. Its good to get it out, and you stand your ground, with words to back it up. Big plus in my book!

Stone Cold and I didn't see Eye to Eye for a long time, But once we both admitted we being jerks, now IMO he turned out to be a friend.

Stone is one of the very Few D* contacts left here, He know's all about the Billing and Programming packages, well before even some of the DBSTalk Guys, and they are loaded with D* contacts.
So you could see why he might get upset about some of the info being thrown around if its not 100% accurite.

But anyway, I'm going to start over.

HI my name is Hemi 6.1
Nice to meet you!:up

I have a tear in my eye, can we hug?

BTW, you will find that I am an ass some of the time but a smart ass almost all the time. :D

johns70 said:
I'm glad it all worked out.

You always had this is fall back on - tell them to come get there stuff.
That always works out well.
When you're trying to get someone to do you a favor they respond to this really well.

Until you have decided that you really DO want. The service and theysay, OK, we'll send out boxes for "returns"

kjlued said:
Upgrades are a 12 month commitment.

They are ?
Cool, I'm only in a 12 month upgrade commit ....
Not that I'm going anywhere, but its good to know.

StoneCold, can you verify this ?

I'm not goinganywhere, but its good to know.
Is this info online on their site anywhere ?

Read the thread and you will see I was wrong.

You are actually not only committed for life, but when you pass, your children and your childrens children are committed.

They are ?
Cool, I'm only in a 12 month upgrade commit ....
Not that I'm going anywhere, but its good to know.

StoneCold, can you verify this ?

I'm not goinganywhere, but its good to know.
Is this info online on their site anywhere ?

When I recently added DECA and upgraded an SD receiver to an HD receiver, I'm sure they told me it was a 24 month commitment. I hope I am wrong, 12 would be better, although like you, I'm not going anywhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)