What stuff did you watch on the big dish back then?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It depends on how far back, back then was. I started selling BUD's in 1979 and back then, nothing was scrambled. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Select TV and every other channel was ITC. It was several years before the Videocipher came out, and another 2-3 years before most of the non-pay channels spent the money to encrypt their channels. The movie channels went first.

Even after everything went encrypted, the program packages were very reasonable in price. I actually liked the analog days more than digital. Much fewer problems, the weather almost never affected the signals and it wasn't really a big deal moving from one satellite to another. Now, if someone in California farts, something goes off, sometimes for good. It's easier to get a large amount of channels on one transponder with digital, but there's a boat load of things that can cause you to lose a channel, like Hallmark.

I've tried to get it back in for over a month and used 5 different receivers and two work arounds still haven't got it back in. I have a dozen or more channels that used to come in that won't now, and nothing has changed on my end. I even put up a 12 foot dish trying to get them back in, and nothing, yet the other channels on the satellite are booming in. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't know what it could be. I enjoy what we're getting, but it frustrates me when I can't resolve a problem. I'm quirky. :)
When we had our dish, it came with VC, and we could HBO and the movie channels. I could get Broncos games on the Denver stations, and i couldn't really get a good signal ota, so the dish stayed put, even when we got cable.

Might be, I guess the newer version would be called Much Music, But back then their was one called
Anik 1? just does not sound right to me, Ill ask my friend.

Anik is the name of the Canadian domestic satellites owned by Telesat. MuchMusic has always been known as MuchMusic or now Much, it would have been on one of the Anik D satellites.

Yeah i know all this but i just remember actually noticing the difference even back then on analog signals. Actually i read someplace that large hotel chains and some corporations could still purchase subs, but id wager its expensive, like really expensive. What we have now reminds me of the old days and as i have said before i sure wished id have paid more attention to my dad when we were working on that dish, would have made the dish i put in a year ago much easier.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant. I was just pointing out that the picture quality would have been better getting it directly from the source.

So no one will admit to America XXXtasy.

I had an old man in his 80's who bought a BUD off me just for those channels, but it was after they scrambled. He prepaid a subscription for a year and in about two months, he called to ask if he could cancel them. I told him he could, but he wouldn't get a refund. When I ask him why he wanted to cancel, he told me those people do things on there he never saw in his life. :) He was particularly disappointed that they had gay men on there occasionally. He never mentioned the lesbians. I guess that was more admissible in his opinion.

I guess he put up with them the rest of time he was subscribed, but he bought a different channel package so he wasn't stuck with just those channels. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)