What switch do I need?

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Currently I have DishPro Plus setup. (1 dish pointing to 61.5 with a line running to my other dish getting 119/110. Then two lines running from the 119/110 LNB to my current 2 receivers.)

I want to add a 3rd receiver so i'm guessing I need a switch. Which one?

Thank for any help!!!!

I recommend the DP+33 switch for two reasons.

1. DP+ technology means you will only need one line for dual tuner receivers.

2. The DP+33 switch does not require a power inserter like the DP+ 44. As far as I'm concerned, a power inserter is just another thing in your system that could cause problems. If someone accidentally unplugs it, all your receivers will not get any signal and will display the 015 screen.

Is the DP33 compatible with my current DPP twin LNB? Somewhere I read that they weren't compatible?

And currently I only need one line for each of my dual tuner receivers (622/722). I have the separators behind each receiver.

If you have two dishes (a dish 500 for 119 and 110, and another dish for 61.5), it would be best to replace the DP+ twin with 2 DP Singles on the dish 500. Run 1 line from each LNB on the dish 500 into the switch. Then run another line from your 61.5 dish into your switch. Connect your receivers to the switch. Then run a checkswitch on all receivers. Then you should be good to go.

Also, keep in mind that when running a checkswitch on your new receiver, it may not read the DP+33 switch correctly on the factory software out of the box. If the checkswitch does something weird, don't worry about it. It should be able to still download the current software off the satellites and then will recognize the switch correctly.

Steve,

I'd like to avoid running another cable if I could. Would the DP44 require swapping out the DPP Twin LNB also?

I'd like to keep the current cable run from the satellites to my AV closet where all cables enter the house if possible.

Is the DP33 compatible with my current DPP twin LNB? Somewhere I read that they weren't compatible?

And currently I only need one line for each of my dual tuner receivers (622/722). I have the separators behind each receiver.

As long as you stick with DPP switches, you'll still only need one line when using a separator. I think you are correct that the DPP33 isn't recommended for use with a DPP Twin LNB because of the latter's relatively large power draw. The DPP44 should work as it has a power inserter. Where are you located? Can you just put up a 1000.2 or 1000.4? Each will feed 3 dual tuner receivers with the built-in DPP33 and probably be at least as cheap as buying a DPP44 switch on eBay. You could still keep your 61.5 if needed and plug it into the 1000.2. Otherwise you'll likely need to change out the DPP Twin to use a DPP33.

One thing I'd to mention is that no matter what switch you use, you will need a cable run for each satellite location from the LNBs to the switch. In this case 3 cable runs from the lnbs to the switch.

As long as you stick with DPP switches, you'll still only need one line when using a separator. I think you are correct that the DPP33 isn't recommended for use with a DPP Twin LNB because of the latter's relatively large power draw. The DPP44 should work as it has a power inserter. Where are you located? Can you just put up a 1000.2 or 1000.4? Each will feed 3 dual tuner receivers with the built-in DPP33 and probably be at least as cheap as buying a DPP44 switch on eBay. You could still keep your 61.5 if needed and plug it into the 1000.2. Otherwise you'll likely need to change out the DPP Twin to use a DPP33.

Located in zip 20176 (Leesburg, VA)

Not sure if I could use a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish. I'd have to look into that.

Unfortunately, you will have to go up to your dishes and do some reconfiguration work. You cannot take the 2 lines currently running from the dish and hook them into the switch. It will not work because you are already using the switch in the DP+ LNB to hook in the 61.5 feed. You might be able to get away with running the 2 lines from the DP+ into the switch and then running another line down from the 61.5 dish into the switch, but I don't recommend it. Its best to replace the DP+ with 2 DP singles or dual.

If you have a good line of sight to the 129 at your location(real low in the sky here in Michigan) and your HD locals are on the 129, 1000.2 is the way to go. 3 receiver outputs, no switch needed. :)

Just to recap and to make sure I got what I need, I need to replace my current DPP LNB with a DP Twin (Link below). Run two lines from that LNB to a switch (DP44 or 33). Then run a single line from my current 61.5 satellite to the same switch. Then one line to each (3) receiver with 1 separator behind the receiver.

The separators will still work in their current location and nothing additional will need to be added?

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/LNBF/DishPro-Twin-LNBF.htm

Ugh! I am so sick of the snow. I recommend using the DP duals instead of the twin because I know it works well from experience. I have not yet tried using a DP Twin with the 33 switch. Even though it should work in theory, I have not tried that configuration in the field.

Located in zip 20176 (Leesburg, VA)

Not sure if I could use a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish. I'd have to look into that.

Leesburg is an eastern arc market so a 1000.4 should work there without any problems as long as your receivers are all mpeg4 capable. That includes the 211, 211k, 222, 222k, 612, 622, 722, and 722K. Otherwise you'll need to either upgrade the receivers or stick with your current setup modified.

Another question.

can the DPP33 switch be installed outside?

My current box where all my cables and a few splitters/combiners are is under my deck. It is getting pretty full so i'm not sure if I can fit the DPP33 in there.

I can rewire and have everything come inside and mount the switch in my utility closet.

Use 2 of these instead of the twin on the dish 500

Dish Network DishPro Dual KU LNBF

You can't go wrong with the DP+33 switch. Keep the separators on the receivers.
Menu 6-1-1 to run the checkswitch on the receivers after install.
Good Luck Man. Let us know how it turns out.

I ended up getting a 211k, DPP33 switch, and a Dish Pro twin LNBF. Installed it today and everything worked as planned.

Thanks for all the input :up

dpp33_switch.jpeg

dpp33_install.jpeg

https://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/pdf/uptraining/20080602_dish_pro33.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)