What the best thumb drive for HD video recording?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I found some old thump drives 5 to 7 year olds.

Some ranges from 16 Gb to 32 Gb.

I used to record mostly SD video feeds with no problem.

I found out most HD video bitrate are pretty high. My poor old thump drives can't handle it on most HD feeds except for NHK 720p which work just fine.

Micro HD receiver work nicely with thump drives.

Is newer version of thump drive still compatible with my Micro HD receiver.

They say something called USB A, C version for higher read and write transfer rate?:facepalm

It's amazing everything is going Star Trek except we don't have Subspace Radio or Warp Drive yet!:hungry2

The term you should be using is "thumb drive" in reference to USB flash drives. This will open up a world of possibilities when searching.

It would probably be best to look for USB 3.0 thumb drives even though the Micro HD is only USB 2.0 capable as they have more than enough oomph to handle the best that USB 2.0 can do and they're backward compatible.

I've had good luck with the Sandisk Extreme models.

Reactions: N5XZS and Larry1
I've had good luck with the Sandisk Extreme models.
They are fast USB sticks.
I use a 2.5" Western Digital hard disk, but am only recording COZITV so not a high bitrate HD video. If you do use a hard disk, I have found that the Seagate hard disks use shingled recording and have problems when used with a TiVo. (as per the TiVo community forums) That is why I use WD drives for my recording. I also use Lexar USB 3.0 sticks (S75 series), which work well with the microHD but again not with high bitrate recordings. I have had a few sticks fail as the streaming is constantly writing to the sticks and the sticks have a limited number of write cycles.
When looking for a USB stick, be sure to look for write speed specs, as the writing is generally the slowest for the stick with reading much faster. Also, the stick may say it can write at a certain speed, but in practice, it may never be that fast.

They have fast buffers in them and when the buffer is full you see the real sustained write speed. I used a couple Super Talent Pico thumb drives on my microHD for some events but they get really hot.

I found my microHD will support my Rosewill R2 HDD enclosure with two 2TB drives installed. IDs as USB A and USB B. You can't switch between them like folders on a single drive but you can unload the one and load the other with the remote quickly and easily.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)