What the Warner announcement has done to my household.

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
Well here are my thoughts and what has happened in my household. Since I have just recently purchased a HD-DVD player I am in a since on the losing end of the stick or so it seams. I will say that I do not hate Blu-Ray I just made my choice based of of value for the system when I made my purchase.

What has changed in my household.
Well I will purchase any HD-DVD movies from Warner that are available that intrest me thru the end. Well this applies to all distributors actually.
I have also told my wife that if its not on HD-DVD that DVD purchases are now ok. She is happy since I have now reoped purchasing of DVD's.
Will I ever purchase a blu-ray player? Maybe the value/price has to meet my range that I feel is ok. This is likely a big no tho.

I feel that more than likely the Blu-Ray movement probably will not gain enough in the long run to take out DVD. I feel this way because it is still a disc media and that most purchasers will not see a benifit. In my opinion the only real winner will probably be a flash drive type media. This will be interesting. Will I be back eating my words? More than likely not, just because at the time I will forget about this post. If and when I ever purchase a Blu-Ray player I will at least post that I have.

Last edited:
Well here are my thoughts and what has happened in my household. Since I have just recently purchased a HD-DVD player I am in a since on the losing end of the stick or so it seams. I will say that I do not hate Blu-Ray I just made my choice based of of value for the system when I made my purchase.

Well I will purchase any HD-DVD movies from Warner that are available that intrest me thru the end. Well this applies to all distributors actually.
I have also told my wife that if its not on HD-DVD that DVD purchases are now ok. She is happy since I have now reoped purchasing of DVD's.
Will I ever purchase a blu-ray player? Maybe the value/price has to meet my range that I feel is ok. This is likely a big no tho.

I feel that more than likely the Blu-Ray movement probably will not gain enough in the long run to take out DVD. I feel this way because it is still a disc media and that most purchasers will not see a benifit. In my opinion the only real winner will probably be a flash drive type media. This will be interesting. Will I be back eating my words? More than likely not, just because at the time I will forget about this post. If and when I ever purchase a Blu-Ray player I will at least post that I have.

Flash media= content that you download?
I don't think every household could get fiber optics and be able to download an HD movie in less than 4-6 hours.
Sorry that plan is many years far away.

The way blu-ray is going within the next year or two will be making huge steps and when the time is right they will be a serious threat to DVD. Once every house-hold sees the difference between DVD and Blu-ray the choice will be clear, blu-ray.

If you can't afford a blu-ray player you might as well just wait until the end of this qt to see some price drops.
The best option would be as of now either a PS3 or the new Panasonic BR player.

Flash media= content that you download?
I don't think every household could get fiber optics and be able to download an HD movie in less than 4-6 hours.
Sorry that plan is many years far away.

By flash media, I mean pre-written write protected media. You can purchase this in store or rent. Basically smaller media. I see this as an option as well look at the size of jump-drives and capacity. As for downloadable content I just do not feel that the market is ready for this.

The way blu-ray is going within the next year or two will be making huge steps and when the time is right they will be a serious threat to DVD. Once every house-hold sees the difference between DVD and Blu-ray the choice will be clear, blu-ray.

I see what you are saying, and I agree that blu-ray will hold no stops trying to convince people of the benifits. With that said most people that I know still do not even care about HD. They feel that what they have works. With that said I feel that the studio's know this and will mass produce the content that sells the most. By the time that the majority of people actually realize about HD I feel another media format will be in the works.

If you can't afford a blu-ray player you might as well just wait until the end of this qt to see some price drops.
The best option would be as of now either a PS3 or the new Panasonic BR player.

If you reread my post I stated PRICE/VALUE meaning that I have a $ amount set in mind that I feel is the value for this. Not an issue of affording. One of my friends states that I am the tightest person he knows. He laughs at the fact that I have been waiting to purchase a RC Heli for about 8 months not waiting for a sale. It is just the way I am.

For my household if I was to purchase a Ps3 it would be a gaming machine only, and would never see a movie in it. As is the same case with both of my PS2's. They have never had a DVD movie inserted in them. One of the reasons I do not own a Ps3 is that I do not see the value in it for the games released at this time.

I hope I have clarified some of my views on this.

I feel that more than likely the Blu-Ray movement probably will not gain enough in the long run to take out DVD.
And this is exactly what Warner was trying to prevent from happening with their latest decision - to render the hidef DVD movement impotent.
I think Blu-ray has a window to succeed. It is narrow and will probably work only without fierce opposition...
Time will tell.

Diogen.

And this is exactly what Warner was trying to prevent from happening with their latest decision - to render the hidef DVD movement impotent.
I think Blu-ray has a window to succeed. It is narrow and will probably work only without fierce opposition...
Time will tell.

Diogen.

Agree. I think it will succeed better than LD. I don't think it will be the next movie media. I don't see it replacing DVD at all. To replace DVD, HD DVD really needed to win. Without Fox, WB said no. They could have then released all titles on TL Twin or combo and stopped releasing individual SD DVD discs.

S~

teachsac

I agree with most of what you have said. In fact that was going to be pretty much my reply to diogen. The only difference is if the shoe was on the other foot I dont believe that HD-DVD would have takin out DVD either. I made my purchase based on value of the player to me not on what format I believed would win.

Most people (like me) will wait to buy until a single standard dominates, players are a LOT cheaper and a LOT more titles become available.

Thanks to all the early-adopters for enduring the growing pains and expense.

While you guys are going to watch movies in SD or unconverted DVD's which the quality is not comparable with blu ray or hd-dvd, the rest will be living life in HD.
People need to realize, stores now days only carry HD tv sets, that means people are going to be more and more attracted to HD, and there are a lot of stores that they have HD-DVD or Blu-ray players attached to their TV's, that will drive customers buy blu-ray or HD-DVD player and buy discs for it.
Also Blu-ray is spending a large amount of money out there in commercials, ads, magazines, which in the end they will benefit from it.
I think we should get back to this thread in a year or so.

While you guys are going to watch movies in SD or unconverted DVD's which the quality is not comparable with blu ray or hd-dvd, the rest will be living life in HD.
People need to realize, stores now days only carry HD tv sets, that means people are going to be more and more attracted to HD, and there are a lot of stores that they have HD-DVD or Blu-ray players attached to their TV's, that will drive customers buy blu-ray or HD-DVD player and buy discs for it.
Also Blu-ray is spending a large amount of money out there in commercials, ads, magazines, which in the end they will benefit from it.
I think we should get back to this thread in a year or so.

Icewolf

For the argumentive sake I will ask you a few questions. Hopefully these questions will help you understand my view.

Talk to the first ten people that you see.
Ask them if they have a HDTV.
Then ask if they subscribe to any HD service.
Ask them if there DVD player gives them a good picture on there HDTV.
Ask them if they really care about picture quality.

These are a few questions that I have asked some people. Hell people that have visited my house who have HDTV's have watched programs in HD and basically said that looks nice but I wont pay extra for HD. Most people believe just because they have a HD tv everything they watch is automatically in HD. Alot of people just dont care.

This is why I think that just another disc will not sway the majority of people. A new smaller format will as they can use it takes up less space as a selling point. That is something that the average person can relate to. Not it looks better.

And as I mentioned once Blu-ray players offer me a value for price I will purchase one, that is unless another format look immenent.

Yet the majority of HD set owners have no source of HD. Upconverted (if it's even hooked up properly to upconvert) is good enough for most users. It's not as important to people as you think.

I was leaning toward Blu but I would not make a purchase until the ship listed heavily in one direction. It is now listing in the direction of Blu-ray and I will jump in that direction.

I do not think it (Blu_ray) will ever have market penetration of DVD. Not because of price, future downloads, solid state media or the installed base of DVD players, but because of all of those and the impact of DVRs from the cable and satellite providers. (I appreciate the HD choices of movies and other HD features from my Dish DVR.) There will be a greater variety of options.

It will be extremely interesting reading all the reports coming out of the CES this week. Meanwhile, I'll be shopping Blu-ray. I will look closely at the PS 3 as my choice of a DVD player. At the age of 70 I am not so much a gamer but my grandkids will enjoy giving me some instructions.:)

Icewolf

For the argumentive sake I will ask you a few questions. Hopefully these questions will help you understand my view.

Talk to the first ten people that you see.
Ask them if they have a HDTV.
Then ask if they subscribe to any HD service.
Ask them if there DVD player gives them a good picture on there HDTV.
Ask them if they really care about picture quality.

These are a few questions that I have asked some people. Hell people that have visited my house who have HDTV's have watched programs in HD and basically said that looks nice but I wont pay extra for HD. Most people believe just because they have a HD tv everything they watch is automatically in HD. Alot of people just dont care.

This is why I think that just another disc will not sway the majority of people. A new smaller format will as they can use it takes up less space as a selling point. That is something that the average person can relate to. Not it looks better.

And as I mentioned once Blu-ray players offer me a value for price I will purchase one, that is unless another format look immenent.

After watching HD PQ compared to any other PQ that you see off an SD TV is crap.
That would be the most retarded question ever.
Of course PQ would matter.
You are forgetting something, price on HDTV's are coming down soon, and a lot of people now days are subscribing to HD service,nearly all TV's at my local costco have a sticker on the tv's and the tv boxes. That doesn't go for costco only, other companies like Bestbuy, CC, Sears, Target and sometimes at Wal-mart too carry the stickers.
Take a look at DirecTV, pushing towards HD, all their commercials are regarding HD.

After watching HD PQ compared to any other PQ that you see off an SD TV is crap.
That would be the most retarded question ever.
Of course PQ would matter.
You are forgetting something, price on HDTV's are coming down soon, and a lot of people now days are subscribing to HD service,nearly all TV's at my local costco have a sticker on the tv's and the tv boxes. That doesn't go for costco only, other companies like Bestbuy, CC, Sears, Target and sometimes at Wal-mart too carry the stickers.
Take a look at DirecTV, pushing towards HD, all their commercials are regarding HD.

Icewolf

I am enjoying this conversation with you.

I was at either Walmart or Kmart looking for some last minute gifts before christmas. I overheard a few people speaking with the saleman while I was looking. One coversation really stuck with me.

A lady was looking at a HDTV display and discussed how well the picture looked. She seemed extremely interested in getting this tv. For information purposes it was I beleve a 32" LCD TV. She enquired about the price and I beleive it was in the $600.00 neighborhood. She stated that tv is not worth that much for any picture quality. The salesman then took her to a smaller LCD tv for around $400.00. She stated that the price was still to high and now the picture size was to small. She then opted for a SDTV around a 27" for about $200.00.

Another discussion I overheard concerned the action of adding HD Service to there programming. Pretty much the responce was that they already feel the value of programming was to much and that they would just keep there current programming. Another response was well I guess that my current tv is good enough then.

Bottom line. We are a niche person who cares about the quality of are viewing. Most people just do not give a damn.

Until tv's come considerably down in price, which is bound to happen and HD service is included in standard packages people will not care. I doubt they will care even after this happens. By this time that HD service is standard and TV's are priced correctly A new media format may be on the horizon.

With that said, I more than likely will have a Blu-ray player as prices will be sub $100.00 and I will see value in it. We will see.

I feel the same as you. We just got an HD-DVD player because we felt it was a better consumer machine. The prices were lower for both the players and discs. We liked the region free aspect, as well as the online options, and no complicated DRM that sometimes prevents you from watching movies. If HD-DVD is truly dying, we will take the opportunity to buy up the great HD-DVD discs that will be sold off by people jumping ship. I don't see us ever buying a BR player since the HD-DVDs we have plus our HD programming will be enough. And while the upconverted DVDs don't look as good as an HD-DVD, they look good enough.

Icewolf

I am enjoying this conversation with you.

I was at either Walmart or Kmart looking for some last minute gifts before christmas. I overheard a few people speaking with the saleman while I was looking. One coversation really stuck with me.

A lady was looking at a HDTV display and discussed how well the picture looked. She seemed extremely interested in getting this tv. For information purposes it was I beleve a 32" LCD TV. She enquired about the price and I beleive it was in the $600.00 neighborhood. She stated that tv is not worth that much for any picture quality. The salesman then took her to a smaller LCD tv for around $400.00. She stated that the price was still to high and now the picture size was to small. She then opted for a SDTV around a 27" for about $200.00.

Another discussion I overheard concerned the action of adding HD Service to there programming. Pretty much the responce was that they already feel the value of programming was to much and that they would just keep there current programming. Another response was well I guess that my current tv is good enough then.

Bottom line. We are a niche person who cares about the quality of are viewing. Most people just do not give a damn.

Until tv's come considerably down in price, which is bound to happen and HD service is included in standard packages people will not care. I doubt they will care even after this happens. By this time that HD service is standard and TV's are priced correctly A new media format may be on the horizon.

With that said, I more than likely will have a Blu-ray player as prices will be sub $100.00 and I will see value in it. We will see.

Same here, nothing better than having a good conversation.

But damn going from 600$ tv to a 200$ thats huge. I guess after all some people just care too much about money more than anything, which is totally fine, in order to be financially successful you must control your budget.
I haven't seen an SDTV at a retail store in a long time, maybe I need to look more carefully.

Now for people that have an HD-DVD, this is your time to buy more HD-DVD contents, cheaper, and definitely worth your money..

I have also told my wife that if its not on HD-DVD that DVD purchases are now ok.
I will still buy select HD-DVD, and the wife and I talked about future purchases and SD-DVD are fine for our future. Upconvert is fine. We also rent from Netflix so I will be able to rent HD-DVD for a while.

Will I ever purchase a blu-ray player? Maybe the value/price has to meet my range that I feel is ok. This is likely a big no tho. .
I told her that I will look at Blu-ray next Black Friday and if there is a player that meets my criteria, maybe.
1. Stand alone unit that has profile 1.1 (We have a Wii, so no PS3)
2. Player that is either $179.00 with at least 5 - 8 free movies or $99.00 without (I bought the $98 Wal-mart A2 and an A3 from Amazon with 10 free movies.) It's not about money, but like you I am tight with my purchases.
3. Prices for new release movies must be under $20 and catalog $15

I feel that more than likely the Blu-Ray movement probably will not gain enough in the long run to take out DVD.

From the sounds of it many people, including myself are going back to them.

Some years ago, when having a computer in the household became as much a must as having a phone, I remember reading that the computer replaced the TV as the third most expensive item a family buys: after the house and the car. I don't think much has changed since. If you consider upgrading your AVR and speakers as part of the upgrade to watching hidef, then the PC is probably on the forth place. Otherwise, those two - computer and TV - are about the same.

If this is true, the decision going hidef is not made lightly (i.e. lots of money involved). And the only one change that happened since I made this post 4 months ago
First, the average consumer has to see the advantage (difference in quality).
Second, he/she will start paying attention to prices.
Third, if the price is right, start thinking about buying.
At this point, if the war is still going on, the decision would have to be made what format to get.
After that we could start drawing analogies with DVDs in 1997.

We haven't made the first step yet.
Only 50/30% of PS3/360 owners know that the console supports hidef! And that is the most interested demographic.
is Warner decision allows for just one "force" to pull the consumers into the hidef DVD world. Even under ideal circumstances there is a long way before we can hope to see mass adoption of this new tech.

The one interesting question remaining is whether studios will attempt to marginalize regular DVDs and start releasing hidef versions of movies first and DVD - later. Would be risky, though.

Diogen.

Last edited:
I love how people would rather have dvd than BD if they cant have HDDVD

:river

I tell you this, I ended up buying both so as far as Im concerned Im vested in the formats. Now that one is clearly out in front Im gonna support it, not whine about high prices(which arent that high) and stomp my feet.

Or wait on downloads :rolleyes:

Wheather folks chose HD or not is moot. All SD OTA will stop in 2009. After that most digital service will be in HD and those folks who currently do not own a HDTV will more then likely migrate to one because there will be no SDTVs in the market place in 2010.

No, it's analog OTA that stops in 2/2009. While there will be more HD content by then there will still be a lot of SD content being shown on those digital OTA stations since there's still a bunch of SD content out there that will be shown durning non prime time hours and on the smaller stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)