Warner is looking.....

Warner is not stupid. Early adopters have chosen HD-DVD over Blu-Ray. BD is included in PS3 so results are skewed. High-Def DVD sales pale in comparison to DVD sales.

When JSP starts choosing HD-DVD (as indicated by many studies due to lower initial costs) the pendulum will swing HD-DVD's way.

It cracks me up when BD proponents proudly spout "We have 2% of disc sales, we win!"
The same goes for HD-DVD. Mass adoption does not depend on early adopters.

I remember when 1080i spanked the crap out of 720p. Panasonic was one of very few that made 720p CRT RPTV's. 1080i RPTV's took over, only to be surpassed by 720p flat panels and now (stupidly) 1080p flat panels.

Right now we are in the year 1999-2000 in terms of High Def DVD's as compared to HDTV's.

Warner is the only studio with the balls to realize that early momentum means squat.

Once HD-DVD has the variety of players that BD has now things will change rapidly.

I watched several women buy PS3's on BF. I asked them if them had HDTV's, "No, my kid just wants one". Spout all you want about BD's superior capacity and drive to take away your rights, it's too early to declare a winner.

I stand corrected. So.....the question remains....if all most people want are the
movies where does BD's technological superiority trump HDDVD?

And you've answered your own question. Even though BD is, theoretically, superior in technology, both are basically equal to the normal person watching a movie. As you said, people care about the movies, and right now BD has more movies people want... not to say that can't change, but for now it's hard to argue.

And you've answered your own question. Even though BD is, theoretically, superior in technology, both are basically equal to the normal person watching a movie. As you said, people care about the movies, and right now BD has more movies people want... not to say that can't change, but for now it's hard to argue.

Like we've argued a million times. Movies are a personal preference. I personally prefer quality movies like Bourne, Kingdom, earstern Promises, Good Night, Good Luck, etc. over comicbook/cartoon movies (yes even Transformers). Not saying I didn't buy Pirates, Transformers, Spiderman, etc. because I did. Just our taste. My oldest and one of my twins have very old souls and love Casablanca and Robin Hood. If they were that popular, they would sell 2.7 million as opposed to 160K.

S~

Like we've argued a million times. Movies are a personal preference. I personally prefer quality movies like Bourne, Kingdom, earstern Promises, Good Night, Good Luck, etc. over comicbook/cartoon movies (yes even Transformers). Not saying I didn't buy Pirates, Transformers, Spiderman, etc. because I did. Just our taste. My oldest and one of my twins have very old souls and love Casablanca and Robin Hood. If they were that popular, they would sell 2.7 million as opposed to 160K.

S~

I can't argue that - most of this is about personal preference, even when you're talking about extras, etc.

You can't argue that BD has more studio support right now, but it doesn't necessarily equate to better movies for everyone's tastes and, as I said, it could change.

I would LOVE to know what you're looking at that backs up that statement.

Simple. The AVS party at CEDIA. Attended by rabid early adopters, not early adopters AND gamers. Party was sponsored by HD-DVD and BD consortiums.

HD got a standing O, BD barely got polite applause when they were introduced, with boos intermixed.

JSP doesn't cloesly analyze the technical specs of formats. JSP doesn't do alot of research on what movies are available.

JSP looks at entry price, and HD-DVD at 1/2 the price of BD is what JSP sees.

Simple. The AVS party at CEDIA. Attended by rabid early adopters, not early adopters AND gamers. Party was sponsored by HD-DVD and BD consortiums.

HD got a standing O, BD barely got polite applause when they were introduced, with boos intermixed.

And that is relevant how? At that time the HD DVD FUD machine was claiming that BD50 was "science fiction", all their releases would be mpeg2, none of the BD technical advantages would ever materialize, etc. Those coupled with BD player prices and the poor transfer of the original release of the Fifth Element caused a lot of ill-will around the Blu-ray format.

In the interim, reality occurred. BD50 and advanced video codecs are here. Profile 1.1 is here. The average video and audio quality reviews are higher for the Blu-ray catalogue than the HD DVD catalogue. Player prices have equalized.

Ceteris paribus, there is no reason to choose HD DVD over Blu-ray. At this point the boosters are just trying to justify their purchases and hope to influence others so they don't have to buy another player.

In the interim, reality occurred. BD50 and advanced video codecs are here. Profile 1.1 is here. The average video and audio quality reviews are higher for the Blu-ray catalogue than the HD DVD catalogue. Player prices have equalized.

Ceteris paribus, there is no reason to choose HD DVD over Blu-ray. At this point the boosters are just trying to justify their purchases and hope to influence others so they don't have to buy another player.

And HDDVD had/has complete specs out of the starting gate. In the interim, reality occurred and HDDVD has 51GB discs. The average reviews I see are pretty much even across the board and I still haven't seen any BD players at under $200.00.

Do you have anymore FUD?:hungry:

:haha:haha:haha:haha

Wow... I don't know what I expected, but it sure wasn't that.

JSP doesn't cloesly analyze the technical specs of formats.

Couldn't agree more.

JSP doesn't do alot of research on what movies are available.

Well, then JSP is an even bigger idiot than I figured him for. That would really suck if he bought a new player to watch a certain movie only to find out that it wasn't availalble, wouldn't it? Seems to me he might do at least a little bit of research as to what's available....

I agree, partially. I think the going rates for entry level players now (apart from the $98 sales and like) are $199 (HD) and $299 (BD). However, JSP still isn't ready to dish out $25-$30 for a movie he can get on DVD for $15, which is why we're still arguing about 2% of the market...

And HDDVD had/has complete specs out of the starting gate. In the interim, reality occurred and HDDVD has 51GB discs. The average reviews I see are pretty much even across the board and I still haven't seen any BD players at under $200.00.

I didnt know HD-DVD was shipping movies on 51GB disks yet I thought that was still in development. Do you know which movies are on 51GB disks? Is there a difference in quality or extra features on those disks?

His statement was that there is no reason to choose HD-DVD over Blu-Ray. One could argue the other side as well (and we do, until we're blue in the face - no pun intended), but the post he was replying to made it sound like HD-DVD was the clear choice, and I don't think that case is there to be made... on either side.

Although there were, apparently, some guys at a party that thought it was decided already... :)

Things are not equal! HD DVD is complete, BD is trying to catch up. You are asuming that BD will fulfill their promises (they probably will).

And that is relevant how? At that time the HD DVD FUD machine was claiming that BD50 was "science fiction", all their releases would be mpeg2, none of the BD technical advantages would ever materialize, etc. Those coupled with BD player prices and the poor transfer of the original release of the Fifth Element caused a lot of ill-will around the Blu-ray format.

1-That was only 3 months ago.
2-EO's aren't fond of DRM implications
3-Equalized???
4-You may not like what happened, but it's true.

In the interim, reality occurred and HDDVD has 51GB discs.

Reality:
Number of commercially released BD50 discs (US only) - 203

Fiction:
Number of commercially released HD51 discs - 0

AFAIK, HD51 hasn't been submitted to the HD DVD forum for approval, doesn't guarantee compatibility with existing players, and hasn't even been demonstrated in a public forum. It's vaporware.

:haha:haha:haha:haha

Well, then JSP is an even bigger idiot than I figured him for. That would really suck if he bought a new player to watch a certain movie only to find out that it wasn't availalble, wouldn't it? Seems to me he might do at least a little bit of research as to what's available....

Three's Company was the #1 show in the Us for 3 years.
Keep that in mind and you can't possibly undereestimate JSP!! :eek::yikes

1-That was only 3 months ago.
2-EO's aren't fond of DRM implications
3-Equalized???
4-You may not like what happened, but it's true.

I'm still trying to reconcile all of this "early adopter" stuff.

I keep hearing, "it's too early to decide," "the 2:1 sales lead means nothing," etc, etc. but then you're going to say that Early Adopters are going to make the difference..... so which is it?

JSP doesn't cloesly analyze the technical specs of formats. JSP doesn't do alot of research on what movies are available.

Actually JSP walks into stores and sees BD displays. Best Buy/Sams/Target/Circuit City/etc has HD-DVDs, but when do you see one plugged in and working for a demo? No, BD has the demonstrations running, the endcaps and the sales force pushing them.

HD-DVD might be 1/2 the price but unless it is a determined buyer they may never see the price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)