Warner doing layoffs now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Man... What goes around comes around.

I wonder if Warner will tie the layoffs and the writer's strike into their decision to go Blu. Everyday they give a new story.

Warners preps pink slips

Warners preps pink slips

By Carl DiOrio
Jan 9, 2008
STRIKE ZONE: LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES

Up to 1,000 employees on the Warner Bros. lot theoretically could be laid off anytime after Friday under federally mandated notices the studio recently distributed.

The notices, or so-called WARN mailings, represent the first concrete sign that the WGA strike could trigger massive layoffs in Hollywood.

A WB studio spokeswoman declined to say how many workers might be laid off or when actual pink slips would fly, but she stressed the notices were mandated under the U.S. Department of Labor's Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notifications regulations.

The WARN notices are mandated in strike situations, to give employees some advance notice of possible job eliminations.

"These WARN notices were sent because, in certain circumstances, federal and California law can require employers to give notice of staffing changes," Warners spokeswoman Stacey Hoppe said. "Due to the ongoing WGA work stoppage, some studio divisions will have to lay off employees. We regret the impact this will have on our employees, and we hope to bring them back to work once the WGA strike ends."

Those receiving WARN notices are employees of Warner Bros. Studios Facilities, primarily production workers and others involved in lot maintenance and facility management.

The Warners notices were actually sent Nov. 12, stating that those receiving the WARN mailings could be subject to layoff 60 days after posting of the notifications.

News of the development circulated Tuesday, the 65th day of the writers strike. It wasn't immediately clear if any other major studios have issued similar notifications.

But there already have been widespread cost-cutting moves on most studio lots.

At Fox and elsewhere, overtime pay has been curtailed for many positions, and industryites coast to coast have been finding their department budgets scrutinized more thoroughly than usual.

Elsewhere, TV production companies have shed workers as show after show has run out of scripts and shut down operations, and now film producers with overall deals on the various lots are coming under similar scrutiny.

Some TV studios, including Warner Bros. TV, are expected to send out force majeure letters shortly to terminate overall deals with select writer-producers. And on the film side, Vertigo Entertainment and Universal recently parted ways upon expiration of their production pact.

In the 1988 WGA strike, almost every studio eventually laid off scores of workers as the five-month work stoppage dragged on.

Nellie Andreeva and Borys Kit contributed to this report.

Nothing really to do with BD in this, all of Hollywood will be doing massive layoffs if there is no work to be done because of the strike.

By the by--despite posting the above story and bitching--that in no way implies that I am happy that people are losing their jobs. I just wanted to clear the air on that.

To the Warner employees being furloughed, you have my condolences.

Time to take out the trash?
I bet this strike won't last too long.
500$ mil > 1000+ employees.
Enough money to recruit/train new people.

Time to take out the trash?
I bet this strike won't last too long.
500$ mil > 1000+ employees.
Enough money to recruit/train new people.

They're Union (ever hear of the SAG, WG).
Everything production wise will be delayed as long as this strike continues.
Get use to reruns and old titles.

They're Union (ever hear of the SAG, WG).
Everything production wise will be delayed as long as this strike continues.
Get use to reruns and old titles.

Rofl, I dubt there will be a delay because of them...
And you should get to use to watch the reruns on HD-DVD since they are losing supporting studios.

He's only a 19 year old punk still living at home. I hope he thanked his parents for the PS3 but somehow I doubt it.

and that was necessary.

Jealous that you couldn't buy your own stuff when you were 19?
Cry more.

Care level = 0

Last edited:
Sorry but he brought it himself, I am not going to personally insult individuals in this forums.
I am not going to lower to his level.:cool:

The fact is people cannot accept a loss.
:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)