What to do with a broken 530...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Well, my 530 (StarChoice's HD DVR unit) died at the end of February and because I am never home in prime-time East Coast viewing, I can't watch any of my favourite CBC shows anymore. I asked my installer to co-ordinate with StarChoice to see if it was still under warranty but have not heard back for months and I fear it may no longer be so I am considering my options. My 530 still decodes the satellite signal, it just can not perform any DVR functionality, or any action requiring a Hard Drive in general, though anything stored in Flash, like the OS, is working fine. My guess is that StarChoice would just tell me to plop down another $600CDN for a brand new unit only to have it die out of warranty in 13 months. Otherwise, I am seriously considering the 750GB upgrade reported on other forums IF I can confirm StarChoice is going to leave me high and dry.

Any other suggestions here would be greatly appreciated... I miss my CBC...

Do you have more than one receiver on the account? If so, the multiple receiver fee now covers the 530 under lifetime warranty. Don't go through an installer, call *C directly.

If you only have the 530, you can purchase a single receiver warranty to 2.49/month. Just add it and call back in a month to get a replacement.

My 530 died too, I still have it stored away somewheres but--I have also cancelled my star choice too because they wanted to charge me a $199 fee for a refurb unit. I declined and then cancelled. Star Choice was good when I had it but since then nothing new was ever added and the prices kept going up so I decided to cancel. If my 530 still worked, I would still be a subscriber.

Well, my 530 (StarChoice's HD DVR unit) died at the end of February and because I am never home in prime-time East Coast viewing, I can't watch any of my favourite CBC shows anymore. I asked my installer to co-ordinate with StarChoice to see if it was still under warranty but have not heard back for months and I fear it may no longer be so I am considering my options. My 530 still decodes the satellite signal, it just can not perform any DVR functionality, or any action requiring a Hard Drive in general, though anything stored in Flash, like the OS, is working fine. My guess is that StarChoice would just tell me to plop down another $600CDN for a brand new unit only to have it die out of warranty in 13 months. Otherwise, I am seriously considering the 750GB upgrade reported on other forums IF I can confirm StarChoice is going to leave me high and dry.

Any other suggestions here would be greatly appreciated... I miss my CBC...

I'd gladly take the 530 off your hands....:D

if the problem is the hard drive...

there is an article at digitalhome dot ca that outlines how to replace it.

PM me if you need an address in Canada to ship to for replacement - anything to help out members.

Satboyz

I doubt it was the hard drive, I think mine did what most peoples did after 13-14 months and just died, had I know this I really would not have dropped $500 on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)