What to do with old dishes on the roof when switching to DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FunkyBoss

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Chicagoland, IL
So I am close to deciding to switch to DTV from Dish Network. I currently have 2 dishes already on my roof. One is an old Voom dish (not being used) and the other my current Dish Network dish. I had Voom a long time ago and then switched to Dish when they went under, keeping the dish to continue receiving the channels when Dish took them over.

My question is, can the DirecTV dish use one of the existing mounts? Or will a new one need to be installed? And how do I get the old dishes removed and my roof patched? Is it part of a new install? Is it something that will depend on the installer? What have other people done. I really don't want any new holes or dishes on my roof! :)

When I had some dishes removed, I took down everything EXCEPT the footer for the mount. That way no roof repair was needed.

It isn't part of the new install with D*, but a tip and request will usually go a long way to getting them to make it part of the install...

The Slimline dishes have a bigger mount (larger & heavier dish)depend on the installer but you could leave just the base's up to keep from having to patch holes. (if you have the storage keep the dishes just in case or put them up in the classifieds, you never know) :)

Okay, so the pole that the dish is attached to detaches from the metal base that is screwed into the roof? If so, I like your ideas of leaving it on the roof instead of patching the holes. And it sounds like the D* dish needs a new base, so the other 2 can't be reused. Thanks for the feedback! I'll take out some extra tipping cash to be sure they help me out. ;)

FunkyBoss, are you getting an hd or sd setup? You may be able to reuse one of the old poles. I wouldn't remove them just yet.

I'll take out some extra tipping cash to be sure they help me out. ;)

If you want the installer to remove the old dish, you have to tell him you want the new dish installed at that spot. If not, they most likely will not remove the old dish. A friend of mine just switched to D* from Dish, to take advantage of the free Sunday Ticket offer for this year, and was in the same position you're in. He had two dishes, with only one in use. The installer removed one of the dishes and installed the new dish at that spot. He refused to remove the other dish, even though it was only a few feet away. My friend offered him $50 to remove it and he still refused, saying it was company policy. I don't know if it's an insurance thing or what, but you're installer probably won't remove both dishes. Good luck.

Ha, I remove them as a service to my customer, but I am not a Dish or Directv tech. I work for a retail store and have a bigger box to work in than most techs. Anyway, I do like the idea that a tip may go a ways to getting the dish down. If not, there are only three bolts holding the dish to the foot. Dish network will need a 7/16 wrench or socket to remove the nuts off the bolts. Remove bolts, and remove dish from roof. The job only takes five min. tops so a tip is quickly earned if he decides to do the job.

I think the reluctance to remove a dish not from their company is only when they are taking the foot, too.

FunkyBoss, are you getting an hd or sd setup? You may be able to reuse one of the old poles. I wouldn't remove them just yet.
I'm looking to do an HD setup. And I won't be removing the dishes any time soon. I have a two story house without a ladder to even get me close to the height of the roof I have.

I too am planning to do it to take advantage of the "free" Sunday Ticket this year. But I refuse to have another dish installed on my roof. I already have 2 dishes AND an OTA antenna up there. My wife and neighbors would kill me with another!

If a customer mentions some hand cash...that Dish dish is coming down. Bases definately left in place. Removed lots of round D* dishes as we transitioned from 72.5 for local channels upgrade. Found enough of them with bolts rusted badly enough that nuts would not come off when heads of the carriage bolts rounded the slots they are held in place by. Then you were stuck twitsting the mast around to bend the foot enough to get them out. Loosened a few not so well anchored bases. OOOPS! Plan B was using cordless Sawzall to cut mast flush with base top and sling them off the roof. 10 times as fast and no stressing those little lags holding down the bases. Two down/one up usually without moving the ladder. Often using still good solid copper D* cabeling for new dish. New connectors of course. Pay for these upgrades wasn't the greatest and with 5 or 6 a day to do you had to rock and roll.

I'm looking to do an HD setup. And I won't be removing the dishes any time soon. I have a two story house without a ladder to even get me close to the height of the roof I have.

I too am planning to do it to take advantage of the "free" Sunday Ticket this year. But I refuse to have another dish installed on my roof. I already have 2 dishes AND an OTA antenna up there. My wife and neighbors would kill me with another!

The dish Directv uses for hd requires a 2" mast. Some will suggest you can use an adapter to change a 1 5/8" to a 2", but I wouldn't do it. The base and mast aren't strong enough in the long run. I don't know what type of mast the dishes you have are using. Maybe you will get lucky!

Often using still good solid copper D* cabeling for new dish. New connectors of course. Pay for these upgrades wasn't the greatest and with 5 or 6 a day to do you had to rock and roll.

Back when I did D* installs (tenish years ago) we used CCS...

The dish Directv uses for hd requires a 2" mast. Some will suggest you can use an adapter to change a 1 5/8" to a 2", but I wouldn't do it. The base and mast aren't strong enough in the long run. I don't know what type of mast the dishes you have are using. Maybe you will get lucky!

The HD dish also has outrigger braces, which are designed for the 2" pipe. Not enough squeeze on the clamps to fit them tight on the smaller pipe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)