What to do

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

overtimeman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Clemson, South Carolina
I have a Motorola 4 way amp. splitter with my cable modem and three Tv's hooked into it.A friend who used to work for cable said I should run the cable modem directly from a 2 way splitter instead of through the amp splitter.The amp is bi-directional/passive.What is the deal on this subject.Thanks for any responce.Hope this is the right forum to ask this in.- overtimeman

More specifically, the input to a modem should not be amplified. In addition to the possibility of circuit damage, excessive input levels can induce amplitude distortion. What the cable guy was tellin' ya is to put a regular (balanced) splitter in line first. Connect one output to the modem, the other to your amp.

Alternatively - if the amp has adjustable outputs - set one channel for pass-through (no amplification). Use that one for the modem.

//greg//

Sorry about late getting back.I have been using it this way for a few weeks now and hadn't had any problems.My friend said I was going to shorten my modem life because running it through the amp splitter was making it work harder than it should.So out to put the splitter on.Thanks -overtimeman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts