What to do

overtimeman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Clemson, South Carolina
I have a Motorola 4 way amp. splitter with my cable modem and three Tv's hooked into it.A friend who used to work for cable said I should run the cable modem directly from a 2 way splitter instead of through the amp splitter.The amp is bi-directional/passive.What is the deal on this subject.Thanks for any responce.Hope this is the right forum to ask this in.- overtimeman

More specifically, the input to a modem should not be amplified. In addition to the possibility of circuit damage, excessive input levels can induce amplitude distortion. What the cable guy was tellin' ya is to put a regular (balanced) splitter in line first. Connect one output to the modem, the other to your amp.

Alternatively - if the amp has adjustable outputs - set one channel for pass-through (no amplification). Use that one for the modem.

//greg//

Sorry about late getting back.I have been using it this way for a few weeks now and hadn't had any problems.My friend said I was going to shorten my modem life because running it through the amp splitter was making it work harder than it should.So out to put the splitter on.Thanks -overtimeman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts