What to look for in a new computer

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm starting to have some issues with my current computer and I'm thinking it may be time to get a new one. Just wondering what I need to look for in a new computer. First, I will be buying a desktop computer. I just don't think I would like the smaller screens that typically come with laptops. Second, I don't do any gaming. It's used strictly for web browsing, watching some Hulu shows, ITunes, storing photos and some home videos. But I would like it to be fast when opening programs, starting up, and so forth. Third, I've been looking at new monitors. I'll probably be buying a 23-24" widescreen 1080P monitor. So I assume I'll need an HDMI output?

While looking at consumer reports. I noticed they list computers as full size, compact, and mini. What are the differences in these? What's the most recommended brand for reliability? What features should I look for? Any help is appreciated.

In broad strokes: wait for the fixed Sandy Bridge mobos and get
Gigabyte/ASUS motherboard ~$120, RAM (4GB) ~$50, CPU ~$200, HD ~$50, mATX case ~$100.
I assume you have the OS and optical drive.

If you want some improvements consider an additional SATAIII SSD as a boot drive.

Diogen.

In broad strokes: wait for the fixed Sandy Bridge mobos and get
Gigabyte/ASUS motherboard ~$120, RAM (4GB) ~$50, CPU ~$200, HD ~$50, mATX case ~$100.
I assume you have the OS and optical drive.

If you want some improvements consider an additional SATAIII SSD as a boot drive.

Diogen.

Well I appreciate the input. But I assume your talking about building a computer. Which I don't have the knowledge or the know how. I really just looking to buy one from the web or somewhere like Best Buy.

I mean when looking at CPU's on the web. There's Intel Pentium, Celeron, and AMD. Then there's Intel core I3, AMD Phenom II, and AMD Athlon II.

So for a guy that's not very tech savvy, how do I know which to choose?

Processors are the big expense. Intel will be more than a comparable AMD, and perform slightly better. I have always used AMD and don't have any complaints as I can get a faster processors with more cores than a comparably priced Intel.

More cores allows you to multitask a little better (running a lot of items at once that require a lot of processing). The more important thing for you is to probably look at processor speed vs the number of cores. Around 3ghz or more for a dual or quad core should be sufficient for you. You probably do not need a hexcore or anything much greater than 3ghz (keep in mind that a 2ghz processor today will run much more efficiently than a 3ghz processor of a few years back).

You can get more speed and more cores with the same money with a computer using AMD, or you can go with a slightly more reliable and slightly more efficient Intel chip that may not process at the same speed. Or pay more for an Intel chip that does the same as a less expensive AMD chip (usually the computer will be about $100 more using an Intel chip).

Either would be good for what you said you'd like to do. I'd go for the better price point. Usually you can get a processor that is a few steps down from the latest one for a considerable cost saving. A 2GHz quad core ought to be much cheaper. I bought my 2.67GHz quad core 2 years ago and it was the best bang for the buck.

Make sure you get enough RAM - I'd recommend 4GB at least (but you don't need more for what you said). I got mine from Costco.com (being a member) and just the box (no montior at the time).

The good thing about a desktop with a decent motherboard and case is that you can easily expand it if you want down the road. I bought a ZT affinity and added a better video card later on, a nice LCD monitor, some HD's...and all when I thought it was the right time.

Here are some thoughts (all same brand from same site):
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

So that being said. Which would be faster? A dual core 3ghz or quad core 2ghz? I'm just trying to determine what parts are more important.
A 3ghz dual core will be faster. The quad core will allow more simultaneous processing. For what you plan to do, you probably will not notice a difference at all.

Most of the time, even with heavy processing and multitasking you will only be using 1 to 2 cores at a time. Few programs require more than 2 cores as few are multi-threaded. I would probably go with the dual core or the less expensive alternative.

Then again, more applications are being written to take advantage of the multicore processors. So insurance for better performance may be the way to go as well.

Last edited:
As far as buying retail I understand why some need to do that; but that doesn't mean you must go to a Best Buy where you most likely will not get anything any better and likely won't get the most for your money. If I had to buy off the shelf local, I would likely get a better deal at Sams, Costco or Walmart. I would rather buy from Tiger Direct or Newegg. I also suggest making sure you think "ahead" and don't by cheap and forget about being able to grow when needed.

Here is a sample Best Buy SEARCH

I would also not by a mother board with integrated graphics card. Get a separate card with hdmi. a separate card ill have its own memory and not share the system ram. Maybe you should also consider a blu-ray burner. Newegg, Tige Direct and Pricewatch . com, are excellent places to buy. Stay away from the HP, Compaqs etc. at BestBuy, Wally World and Sams.

A 3ghz dual core will be faster. The quad core will allow more simultaneous processing. For what you plan to do, you probably will not notice a difference at all.

This is very dependent on what CPU he is talking about. You can not go just by the speed that the processor is running at. There are to many other factors that could sway the performance.

This is very dependent on what CPU he is talking about. You can not go just by the speed that the processor is running at. There are to many other factors that could sway the performance.
True

There is frames, kilobytes, strings, ex processed per second and some processors are better at some aspects than others; this is why I stated that Intel is usually more efficient and effective than AMD. As a general rule and what he is planning on using it for, usually the larger processor can process faster

Well, after talking to some friends and co-workers, I'm now considering a laptop. One feature I would like is the HDMI out. But I'm wondering if I hook my 58" plasma to the HDMI out on a laptop, will that mirror the screen from my laptop to the TV? Does the CPU need any special graphics cards or anything to run smooth videos (hulu for instance) to the TV? I would assume that any CPU that comes with an HDMI out already has the necessary specs to do this?

Well, after talking to some friends and co-workers, I'm now considering a laptop. One feature I would like is the HDMI out. But I'm wondering if I hook my 58" plasma to the HDMI out on a laptop, will that mirror the screen from my laptop to the TV? Does the CPU need any special graphics cards or anything to run smooth videos (hulu for instance) to the TV? I would assume that any CPU that comes with an HDMI out already has the necessary specs to do this?
If the laptop has HDMI out and a 1520+ x 1080 resolution, it should be able to send out a 1080p signal and you should be able to mirror it on your TV.

The laptop does not have to have anywhere near that resolution to output all HD resolutions. My laptop only supports 1280X800 on its screen but it can output the proper resolution for true HD 1920x1080 resolution.

So it doesn't need some beefed up video card to get a good video without stutter on the TV? Also, I assume most laptops have an audio out for adding speakers? I don't have anything elaborate, but I do have a good sounding pair of speakers with a small sub.

A good video card is always recommended. Most laptops today will be able to handle the HD output without much problem.

Have you changed your price point since you may be looking into a laptop?