What tool to cut off C Band Dish PIPE?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
got a buddy who has a Sawzall and knows how to use it. i buy him nice blades....he cuts pipe.
The secret to using one, is to push the saw (not the blade) tight to the pipe (in the direction of blade travel), and hold it there while you cut.
Took one to a job and didn't break a blade.
Should still take along spares, of course.

And as always, consider other options instead of buying one.

The intense heat at the tip of an acetylene torch can cause small pits of the concrete to pop and pepper you in the face.

I'm thinking if one were to "ram the pipe with a car or truck" that you "might" want to borrow someone elses car or truck. If you use the front bumper one could set off the air bag during the ramming phase. Buying a saws-all is looking cheaper and cheaper now. My last three pipe removal jobs were done with a little digging and a heavy duty 5 foot long handyman jack. The last one I chained the jack to a wood utility pole and pulled till the pipe and anchor cement all came free from the ground.

Just meant give it a nudge, not do something dumb. I pushed mine over with five fingers.

Last edited:
Don't get me wet

I have busted up concrete to pull an irreplaceable six inch diameter tube under a Birdview.
Not a lot of fun, but at least the dry dirt is fairly "clean". :)

If you are jacking the pole out, or pushing it over with a bumper...
do a little digging and busting first, then apply some water to the hole. :up
Softens the ground, and provides lubrication.

For those of you who insist on a cut, don't get sidetracked by the SawZall.
The cutoff wheel in an angle grinder is easier to use for the beginner. :up

I've replanted poles with the original cement on them by digging a new hole in the dirt 4 feet deep, and big enough around to fit the cement. Then, level the pole and cement in it, and fill up the hole with water using a garden hose, and backfill with the removed dirt. The dirt all softens, falls around the cement, and sets the pole and cement tightly. Once it all dries out, it's back to being nice and strong and ready for the dish to be remounted.

$30 and 5 minutes at the scrap yard beats spending an indeterminate amount of time fighting with the unknown blob below the ground! But I'm not cheap, rather lazy: D

I vote for the sawzall. Ryobi makes a nice cordless model and it will cut like a hot knife through butter. An angle grinder will work but it will throw enough sparks to start a forest fire, and the grit coming off the wheel will sandblast you to boot. As previously mentioned keep the shoe of the saw against the pole and role it around. With a good sharp blade you will be done in no time.

The only cure for that stump sticking out of the ground however, (just high enough to catch the lawnmower and sharp enough for the grandkids to take a trip to the emergency room) is dynamite. Although I have used the sawzall to make several vertical cuts and hammered it over.

The only cure for that stump sticking out of the ground however, (just high enough to catch the lawnmower and sharp enough for the grandkids to take a trip to the emergency room) is dynamite. Although I have used the sawzall to make several vertical cuts and hammered it over.
if i get great deal i put a PVC cap on them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)