What TV to buy?

When in doubt, always go bigger! I have accumulated three HDTVs: 2002 Mits RPTV Diamond CRT (dark Home Theater room), 2004 Sony GWIV LCD PRTV (brightly lighted open family room), and a 2006 Samsung LCD (small bedroom set)...all sets were purchased for a specific purpose. I have no particular bias toward any particular brand or technology, but I generally do not like Samsung (my experiences) and, until recently, I did not like DLP. I've had nothing but good luck Sony and have been trying to get to get my wife to authorize (aka The Boss) our upgrading to a 60" Sony 1080p SXRD (XBR2 or A2000). However, after researching all the available displays on the market, I am very impressed with the Mitsubishi xx732 DLPs...great PQ and lots of features...the most bang for the buck in my opinion. I've decided to go with the WD-65732 which is $200 more than the Sony KDS-60A2000. Important features to me:

- CableCard
- Two cable/antenna inputs that can be either cable or UHF/VHF (important for me since I have two OTA antennas)
- TV Guide On Screen (free TV guide)
- Firewire (camcorder) plus I can output to a D-VHS recorder or a my PC which emulates a D-VHS recorder.
- Netcommand (can replace a fair universal remote)
- Split Screen external sources

If you want RPTV go with either Mitsubishi WDY57 or Samsung HLS5687W

If you want LCD Samsung LNS4692D or Sony KDL46XBR2

Personally I would wait till march when the new models hit the shelves

What "crippled VGA port?" Mine works fine with my laptop.

Convergence? That's a CRT worry. With 3 microchips in fixed position and no electron beam, what you see on day one is what you see forever after- barring physical damage.

1) JVC's limit is 1024X768 - fine for PC'ing, but not for 360'ing

2) Different "convergence issues" Caused by misalignment off of a moved mirror, which some sets are more or less impacted by

The optical light engine in the JVC D-ILA series feeds light separated into RGB into the three microchips via fixed mirrors, and combines the output via a prism. This goes to a lens and reflects onto the screen off a fixed mirror in the back. Since there are no moving parts (just a cooling fan) the only way for a "moved mirror" to occur is physical damage. This is unlikely to say the least, unless the TV is heavily damaged.

I don't think you need worry about that.

Since my D-ILA has 720 lines of resolution, I find the standard 1024x768 to be just fine. Any higher resolution would be wasted. But if the newer 1080 D-ILAs still have that resolution limit, I can see your point.

They do, even the 1080p ones. I'm **hoping** the newer, slim ones do not have this limitation.

As for you "heavily damaged" quote - not as nasty as it sounds. Numerous reports of bad CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER mounting causing this. Keep in mind that we're talking plastics and only fractions of an inch to come into play here - it's not all that likely, but plausable.

Well, my 46 inch 1994 model Mitsubishi bigscreen tv finally went on the blink. It started getting round towards the top and bottom but especially at the top. It stretches the screen at the top making the picture distorted then at the top left and right side it's got black corners. Hard to explain. I was wanting to hold out for a laser television or laser projector. When are those supposed to hit the shelves? I read where they are supposed to be cheaper and better than any of the current televisions on the market.

There's a laser DLP on the market now, at a premium price, but the reviews are bad.

I have a 1 month old JVC 61fn97 Dila RP, it has an awesome picture and was rated just slightly below the Sony, but rated better in sound. It has plenty of inputs, 2 HDMI, 2 or 3 components. I was hesitant about the RPTv because of the anticipated bulb life of 5000 hours, my wife has a home daycare and this thing is on about 11 hous a day. So olnly time will tell, but I can write off the bulbs as a business expense. I have a big rec room. My second choice would be the Samsung LCD, think the 42 or 46 in, rated very high and very high bulb life. If your room will support it, I would go that route first unless you just need the wopping size.

I replaced a 61 in 10 year old Sony Projection TV, so I kinda had to stay with the size, once you giveth, it's hard to take it away.

These are the ones I suggest !!! Sony BRAVIA KDS-40XBR2 or the LN-S4695D Samsung, My xbox 360 looks incredible on it as well using the component cables.

Also, one you make your decision, price shop on the internet, figure in shipping and then go to Best Buy, They matched an internet price and took off $500 to do it, so I got it for $2000 instead of their sale price of $2499.00 Yes, I had to pay $120 sales tax, but if anything went wrong, I knew I could take it back.

Last edited:
The funny thing (BS thing) about March Consumer Reports is that it recommends the lower rated and more expensive Sony's over the higher rated and cheaper JVC.

Bias??? Hmmmm.

The funny thing (BS thing) about March Consumer Reports is that it recommends the lower rated and more expensive Sony's over the higher rated and cheaper JVC.

Bias??? Hmmmm.

Lately Is eea lot of off things like a check mark next to the number 4 prroduct even if it is more expensive than one or more items rated higher. i used to like their ratings now I can't always figure them out.

I did an install over the weekend. Mitsu 65732 DLP. The picture was really amazing. The customer had Dishnetwork. I'm ready to replace my CRT Mitsu, it probably won't help me out and break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)