What type of cable to use from actuator to V Box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

John Popper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Central Mexico
I just bought a VBOX 6 but the motor input is quite small for the classic satellite ribbon cable which is quite thick, does anyone know what cable I can use as replacement?

I just soldered s piece of 18 gauge to the end of the ribbon cable. Long enough so that I could fasten the ribbon down so as not to pull the 18 ga motor wires out of the terminals.

I'd try it at least. But if recalibration is necessary often, I'd switch to a shielded wire. ground the shield at the dish/motor only. Do not ground the shield at both ends.

I use sprinkler/irrigation wire, like from Lowes or Home Depot, for the motor and sensor wires. The dish has been there over a year (my 7.5 footer) and no recalibration has been needed...
The DSR-920 stops it right on the bird, every bird, every time. :D:up

I just bought a VBOX 6 but the motor input is quite small for the classic satellite ribbon cable which is quite thick, does anyone know what cable I can use as replacement?

Im using about 50 ft of cat5 6 conductor 24guage with 2 pairs paralleled for the motor current and the remaining pair for the reed sensor. Yes its a little light but works great with a HARL 3618 actuator and Gbox.

I bought 16 Gauge cable because they didn't have 18 Gauge at the place I go to buy my stuff. Im also using phone cable for the sensor, both are working perfectly! thanks for the suggestions folks

I had the same question as OP. I'm thinking about using 7 conductor 18 gauge sprinkler wire and running two wires in parallel for each motor lead and two wires for the sensor. That still leaves me with one wire for a "drain" to ground on the motor side and leave unconnected at the receiver end.

I use 4 conductor solid telephone wire that I had left on a small spool, I buried it in PVC pipe in the ground last year....no problems so far....Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)