What type of dish to buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
@ Mergs

Look for these transponders to confirm you are on Galaxy 17 (91 W)

"Occasional Use" channels plus a bunch of scrambled ones:
12060 V 26700

HughesNet data transponders (you can lock but can't scan any channels)
11740 V 30000
12140 V 30000
11800 H 30000

And getting back to my promise to point out the strongest one... all four are identical strength for me tonight. So much for that plan! :rolleyes:

If you can lock all four of these, you're in the right spot.

Wow, you guys are the bomb! I've got some home work to do, re-aligning and such, hope to pick up the series buy this weekend. I was told by the control room that the transponder freq was 12187 and symbol rate was 04880. Will play with it now during this "Balmy" weather snap. Will let you know how it goes and again thank you very much for the help-Mergs

OK, I was able to lock onto NIMQ1 with lots of PPV$ stations. My Viewsat doesn't have Galaxy 17 so I added it with a 10750 LNB. I'm assuming I don't have to move it, right? I was getting a 35 quality but it remains gray and isn't good enough to lock on. I must be doing something wrong-Any ideas?

The invacom quad (Circular and Linnear) LNB is hooked to a diseqc switch and then goes to the sg2100 motor. I tried G11 with a 10750 lnb but the signal jumps from a 0 to 25 and back and won't let me "scan". When I do it on NIM 1 there are a lot of PPV channels and the quality can be from a 20 to a 40. I'm not at home yet but can let you klnow exactly what channels later. One problem I do have is that the top bolt on the bracket on the dish bottoms out at 29 on the scale (It can be seen in the picture-someone mentioned my J-pole is upside down but still don't think the bolt would clear. It won't let me raise it up anymore so I have to bring the motor up to a 50 in order to pick something up. Maybey that's why I can't get a better signal? 1hour and 20 minutes 'till the puck drops!

I have the same setup and the motor is at 45 and the dish is at 23 elevation...no issues here for almost 5 years

you might want to try and run the cable from the LNB (L side) to the receiver (bypass the switch)...it almost sounds like the switch might be bad (or the diseqc settings aren't set properly)

OK guys. Just like I said earliear, its Friday at 7:30 and I scanned 91W, transponder 12.187V SR 4.880 and picked up FSSN-UND. The VPID scanned in as 481, APID as 482, and PPID as 481. In menue for the Coolsat 5000 when selecting that transponder the ident at top of the screen comes up as (Fighting Siuox). The signal level is 72% and the quality is 97%. When the channel is selected the quality remains 97%. This is a great channel for all you sport fans!

Going to take a time out to watch this hockey game between Denver and the FS of North Dakota!

The dish size I am using is the Wingard DS2076 (31 inch). My location 40 miles west of Omaha.

OK, a lot of time has passed since I first posted but a lot has happened since also and oh yeah it's a lot warmer out now. First I'd like to say i have posted the same topic on a few other site and got noway near the responses so thanks again for helping a 'NEWBIE" out! I took Icebergs advice and reset everything from true south and was able to use th3e USAL features. Now having a motor makes sense-I can track from echostar 1 and 2 all the way over to echo star 3. But I ended up losing the signal and found out the soldering came apart. Bought another motor (unfortunately a clone from e-bay) and the same thing happened. I'm saving up for another motor but am moving it manually now. I still can't get Galaxy 17 in for FSSN. I can get Nimiq 1 and 2 on and the satellite locks in with almost an 80 for quality so I see what you are saying for strong signals. G17 is right behind it right? I shloud not have to move it right? I put the frequency at 10750 and I might get a 5 or 10 quality but it jumps and is grey. 10R comes in just fine with the same diseq number programmed in so I don't understand it. I also bought another quad lnb (can allways use it for the wifes TV) but that didn't help either. I'm beginning to think maybey the receiver won't accept it-it's the only variable I haven't tried yet. Are there any services in the Twin Cities area that work with FTA equipment? I would be glad to pay someone to work on it (Final Five tickets perhaps?)! AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP-mergs

But I ended up losing the signal and found out the soldering came apart.
what do you mean the soldering came apart? Whaere did it come apart?

I still can't get Galaxy 17 in for FSSN. I can get Nimiq 1 and 2 on and the satellite locks in with almost an 80 for quality so I see what you are saying for strong signals. G17 is right behind it right?
G17 is at the same spot as Nimiq1 (91 west) so if you are aimed at 91 it should work just fine. But those DBS satellites should max the meter at 99 quality though

I put the frequency at 10750 and I might get a 5 or 10 quality but it jumps and is grey. 10R comes in just fine with the same diseq number programmed in so I don't understand it. I also bought another quad lnb (can allways use it for the wifes TV) but that didn't help either.
I'm confused by this statement. Once you set the LNB frequency (also called the LNB LO frequency) you shouldnt have to change it. As for the LNB, its the Invacom quad you're working with, right? You should use the L side for G17. Make sure you turn off the receiver with the switch on the back when adding removing switches etc.

Here is what I would do
-bring up Nimiq1 in the menu and aim the dish a little east off dead south to lock on 91W
-make sure the quality is very strong
-turn off receiver with switch on back and hook cable to L side of LNB
-turn back on and bring up G17 in sat menu (probably called G11 still)
-make sure LNB frequency is 10750
-add the following transponder to the receiver

12050 frequency
V polarity
13354 symbol rate

That is a 24/7 active transponder (use to be 12060 V 26700 but they changed). You should get SOME quality. If not make VERY SMALL increments west/east or up/down...like 1/32" at a time until the quality bar locks. Fine tune it until you get the maximum quality you can get.

I'm beginning to think maybey the receiver won't accept it-it's the only variable I haven't tried yet.
the fact you locked on 91 & 82 proves the receiver is working. Sounds like an aiming issue. DBS is much easier to aim then KU.

Are there any services in the Twin Cities area that work with FTA equipment? I would be glad to pay someone to work on it (Final Five tickets perhaps?)! AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP-mergs
you'd give someone final 5 tickets to get it aimed on 91?? (damn) ;)

where is the dish mounted just out of curiosity?

What is the difference in the frequency from the provider site and Ice's:

12060 V 26700 is a 24/7 transponder up there on 91 and is pretty strong. I am getting 75 quality on a 30" Winegard/Coolsat 5000

Ku Band - Downlink Frequency: 12187 V
L Band - Downlink Frequency: 1437 V
Symbol Rate 4.88

I know that there are some differences in recievers, but, the SR shown above is way different than what Ice and others are printing.

I'd love to try it. Where is a schedule?

The soldering came apart at the post where it is attatched to the motherboard. There is like 5 spots where each one is soldered to the mother board and one of them came loose. I was able to re-solder it by touching it with the iron. There is a nut on the outside of the post, where the cable screws onto but nothing holds the post solid on the inside of the housing except solder. There should be a nut on the inside as well attatching it to the housing. When its cold out it may also be more fragile and I don't use tools and only hand tighten them. It's $45 for a new motherboard , if you can find one, versus $65 for a new motor. Yes the lnb frequency is the same once you initially program it but I was refering to that 10R works with the same diseq # and L post of the quad so it should work with galaxy 17 also-ruling out diseq switch and that particular L post on the quad being the problem. OK I did what you said and get an 87 quality for Nimiq 1 & 3 with color on the bar and the sat name comes up automatically. For galaxy 17 I get an 82 signal and a high of 40 quality with color but no name of the sat comes up and no channels are saved when scanning normally or with the blind channel scan. 1. What is a DBS satellite? 2. If during a game I put in a 12187 frequency, vertical, and a symbol rate of 04880, should I be able to lock onto it or scan for it automatically? 3. Where can I find a list of those 24/7 transponders for each satellite? That would come in handy. Two more games Sat and Sunday afternoon and then the play-offs. I'd be happy to pick one up before the final five. That would get you one ticket to two games in the upper level. If I could pick up other fox sports channels for other college games too, I would buy them in the lower level. That's how desperate I am! My wife is loosing faith in me. By the way it is located on the roof. In the summer I might move everything to the back yard with a couple of stationary dishes, but I've got 2 big trees that might mess with the signals. Again thanks for the help and sorry for the long "blogs". Paul

1. What is a DBS satellite?
DBS satellite=direct broadcasting satellite AKA pay satellite. Dish Network, Bell ExpressVu, DirecTv...

2. If during a game I put in a 12187 frequency, vertical, and a symbol rate of 04880, should I be able to lock onto it or scan for it automatically?
if the feed is up which would be around 3:15 today and tomorrow yes. If you manually enter the info it should lock

3. Where can I find a list of those 24/7 transponders for each satellite? That would come in handy.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/85225-i-need-strong-transponder-aim-my-dish.html

Two more games Sat and Sunday afternoon and then the play-offs. I'd be happy to pick one up before the final five. That would get you one ticket to two games in the upper level. If I could pick up other fox sports channels for other college games too, I would buy them in the lower level. That's how desperate I am! My wife is loosing faith in me. By the way it is located on the roof. In the summer I might move everything to the back yard with a couple of stationary dishes, but I've got 2 big trees that might mess with the signals. Again thanks for the help and sorry for the long "blogs". Paul

are you climbing on the roof after the snow we got? Dang that's more adventurous than me. I climbed on the ladder to get the snow around the dish farm off :)

Yay Gods!! Finally saw a game. Am impressed by the professionalism of the whole braodcast-great replays, announcing, all with commercials! I was under the impression that there was allways a strong signal coming from galaxy 17 and was never able to scan for anything. During the game it was as high as 97 quality. Today I set the vcr and recording capabilities to coincide to see if it will work so when I work nights next week I can watch the play-offs. Gota hand it to you Ice, and I'm serious about those tickets or any other favor. I could leave them at will call. If you want to see the Sioux, they probably play Friday afternoon and hopefully Saturday night and there will be a pregame party Saturday afternoon. Unless you prefer "other" teams-the offer still holds-thanks man-I Love Ya! Paul

Sioux Vs WI on this weekend!

Just got an e-mail from UND Alumni Assoc.-The WI series will be on Echostar 9 at 121W KU-Downlink Freq 11840.1250V L band-Downlink Freq 1090.1250V Synbol Rate 4.88 FEC 3/4-both broadcasts start at 6:30. Just thought you might want to watch-Again thanks-Paul

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)