What universal remote do you like??

I also have the MX-500

Had one now for almost 3 years. Best remote I ever had. Comfortable in the hands, nice backlighting. Pretty easy to program.

I don't have experience with the Harmonys, but when I did my research 3 years ago, I decided that I liked the HTS approach better.

So many remotes. So little time.

Good luck.

I love my MX-800. It looks a bit intimidating but after I explained to my wife how she can use it with just a few buttons, like On that has over 30 sequence commands in the Macro to set everything up. powering on, lowering the screen opening the screen drapes, dimming the lights to previews and then when the DVD is done with the previews, further dimming the lights to Feature film level. She loves it. Move from one source to another, just select it with one button and everything readjusts. The PC programming is really great! However I do have one complaint. The MX-800 pre designed codes for equipment often fails. I find taking the time to do a learn mode from the remotes is more accurate. The MX-800 also comes with a repeater and a sidekick simpler remote. The repeater is RF and goes through walls and equipment cabinet doors. The side kick is a smaller remote control with simplified buttons. It's too simple for me so I would need to have it along side the main control anyway. When I bought it the price was much higher than today's offspring to it.
Sunday afternoon I made a whole new script for the 800 to include the new 1080P equipment . I kept the old 720p projector codes in the program so if I want to quickly add that back, such as my Dwin TV3e or LG DVD player, I can just plug it in and the macros and other settings will just work on that as the other equal equipment like the BenQ projector will be manually powered off, so no conflict.

Well, this MX-500 I'm anxiously awaiting delivery on must be pretty well built! I just checked the FedEx tracking website. Noticed they listed the thing as weighing 11.2 pounds.

Definitely a two-handed porker of a remote if it balances the scales at that heft! I better start working out and doing a few more arm curls while I'm waiting for it.

By definition, the only universal remotes are the ones made by Universal Remote Control, Inc. In this case, I use my MX-700 and 7yeard old SL-9000 remotes daily. The Harmony remotes are fine for women and children (much like the Wii or Xbox). However, if you're looking for a universal remote with a lot more engine under the hood then get a real universal remote from the folks at Universal Remote Control. Inc.

Universal Remote Control

People new to "fancy" remotes should keep in mind that the "learning" remotes will learn from any remote you have (IR, usually). But that remote you have will likely have a power toggle switch, not a discrete on and off button (or button sequence). So your new remote, learning from the old, will toggle the power, not have a definite "turn on" or "turn off" mode. This can cause problems when switching from watching a DVD to watching regular TV. Especially if your TV has a cool down cycle.

But that remote you have will likely have a power toggle switch, not a discrete on and off button (or button sequence).
If you have a newer Mitsubishi television, you can change your remote from normal (power toggle) operation to discrete operation (discrete power, discrete input select, discrete format select) with a key sequence. Let your universal remote learn from it while in the alternate mode, then switch it back to normal mode.

Applicable Remote Controls and Televisions

This document applies to the full size Mitsubishi television remote controls introduced in 2006. The inputs specified below apply to the TVs that included these remotes. If a model does not have the specified input, or there is no connection to the specified input, the TV will not respond to the direct access signal. The 731 series TVs have a PC DVI-I input, however these models do not respond to the PC DVI-I access signal.

Procedure to program the remote for special direct access functions:

Set the Device Select Switch at the top to the TV position.
Press and hold the POWER key until it flashes twice, then release the POWER key.
Enter in sequence the code number 0,0,0,9,0. The POWER key will flash twice after the first 0 and then flash twice again after the final 0 to confirm a successful code entry.

The following keys will change functions:
POWER - Power ON only.
STOP - Power OFF only.
PAUSE - AV RESET (resets audio and video adjustments).

INPUT followed by 1 - INPUT-1
INPUT followed by 2 - INPUT-2
INPUT followed by 3 - INPUT-3
INPUT followed by 4 - HDMI 2
INPUT followed by 5 - COMPONENT-1
INPUT followed by 6 - COMPONENT-2
INPUT followed by 7 - COMPONENT-3
INPUT followed by 8 - ANT 2
INPUT followed by 9 - ANT 1
INPUT followed by F1 - HDMI 1
INPUT followed by F3 - PC DVI-I Input (not available for 731 series)

FORMAT followed by 1 - STANDARD screen format
FORMAT followed by 2 - EXPAND screen format
FORMAT followed by 3 - ZOOM screen format
FORMAT followed by 4 - STRETCH screen format
FORMAT followed by 5 - STRETCH PLUS screen format
FORMAT followed by 6 - NARROW screen format
FORMAT followed by 7 - WIDE EXPAND screen format

IMPORTANT: When using this remote control as an original source remote control to program a "learning" remote control or Home Automation control system, the INPUT and FORMAT keys do not send signals. These buttons are simply used as a "switch" function to prepare the remote control to send the correct input or format signal when the number key or other specified key is pressed.

IMPORTANT: This remote control was included with TVs that had Auto Input Sensing. Direct access to inputs that have not been connected and added to the active input list is not possible.

Procedure to return the remote control to normal consumer functions:

Set the Device Select Switch at the top to the TV position.
Press and hold the POWER key until it flashes twice, then release the POWER key.
Enter in sequence the code number 0,0,9,3,5. The POWER key will flash twice after the first 0 and then flash twice again after the final 5 to confirm a successful code entry.

But that remote you have will likely have a power toggle switch, not a discrete on and off button (or button sequence).
On some devices there may be a workaround to make "power toggle" work like "discrete power on" and "discrete power off".

e.g.,

A DVD player with only power toggle on it's remote may gain pseudo discrete on/off with a macro. "Play" substitutes for power on for many DVD players.

discrete on = play

discrete off = play, followed by power toggle

Also, the lack of "mute on" and "mute off" discretes can sometimes be handled by a macro including a volume key (volume controls typically unmute as their first step):

discrete mute on = volume down, followed by mute toggle

discrete mute off = volume up

People new to "fancy" remotes should keep in mind that the "learning" remotes will learn from any remote you have (IR, usually). But that remote you have will likely have a power toggle switch, not a discrete on and off button (or button sequence). So your new remote, learning from the old, will toggle the power, not have a definite "turn on" or "turn off" mode. This can cause problems when switching from watching a DVD to watching regular TV. Especially if your TV has a cool down cycle.

Agree with the other posts- In addition, a suggestion to all with toggle power issues-

In some remote controls the macro functions are quite limited but with a remote like the MX-700 the macro programming can be quite complex. This permits one to use macros for all routine operation with direct access to the toggle if necessary. By designing your remote control to send commands via macros you can easily overcome the limitations of toggles for power on and off. In other words, accessing the device direct can get you out of sequence on the toggle functions, but by using macros to operate common functions, the sequence rarely if ever gets out of whack.

Most decent equipment has discrete codes. These may not work with cheap learning remotes, but with something PC programmable (eg URC MX-series), you can use the discrete codes or workarounds. Therefore, the correct operation is ALWAYS executed, regardless of the state of the equipment.

That's all fine and good unless another remote is involved. I have my remote and my wife has hers. Simple macros work perfectly, throw a Harmony into that mix and it's a flippin mess. Add to that replacing batteries every month, having to connect it to a computer for the simplest of modifications, losing programming, cheap flimsy buttons that quit working, a battery door that wouldn't stay on (probably from having to change batteries so often) and way too much hand holding for my taste made for a very disapointing experience.

If Harmony's product is someones cup of tea that's great, but there are other remotes out there worth considering that may be a better fit or superior product in any given application.

NightRyder
I agree. Mine fell off the couch and never worked again. Worse construction of any remote I ever owned. Cheap POS.

I have two Harmony 688 remotes. I did have a problem with a button not working, and under warranty Harmony replaced the membrane for me.

I have had zero problems with eating batteries, one has a slight battrey door sag but it was nothing a tiny piece of foam couldn't fix.

While I cannot compare the Harmony's to any other high end learning remotes, I can say the Harmony has one feature which will ALWAYS keep me coming back. The "HELP" button. That button has saved me numerous phone calls at work from my girlfriend.

I got tired of getting calls from my folks so I bought them 2 Harmonys as well. They love them. They used to have typed instructions to do everything, now they just have a Harmony. My step dad calls it "the genie". It has saved them SO much aggravation.

So while I might really appreciate some other features of different brand remotes, the Harmonys are here to stay in my house.

Well, I got my MX-500 a few days ago and I must say I'm impressed! This thing learned everything on the first try without any glitches (except when I accidently learned a few things to the wrong key, but that was my error - easily corrected).
A properly set up more advanced remote has no need for a help button.
I agree. I spent a lot of time pre-planning and setting up my macros so they work no matter what screwed up state my components may be in. On, off, wrong inputs, volume muted, analog input selected when I wanted optical, etc. You could call these macros "activity based" like the Harmony I guess. I want to watch an HDDVD, I push and hold HDDVD for one second. Appropriate devices are powered up, inputs changed, etc. so it's all ready to go. If for some reason things didn't turn out perfectly (maybe somebody walked in front of the remote when it was transmitting the macro?) then all you have to do is run the HDDVD macro a second time. The macro works no matter what unknown state the system may be in. It fixes it. Isn't that what the Harmony "help" button is supposed to do? (I don't have a Harmony, so I'm asking.)

The only slightly tricky thing I had to do in the macros was take in account delays in certain components. e.g., my TV takes a while to power up and will not accept further commands for a few seconds after initial power on. So you just setup you macro to turn on the TV, go off and mess with other components, and then come back to the TV later. I could have added delays in the macros to accomplish the same results, but why not make use of the TVs wait time to accomplish other tasks?

This MX-500 is really slick! I thought it was exceptionally easy and intuitive to program. It took me about two hours to edit button labels, learn every command from six different components (I didn't use preprogrammed codes because I wanted ultimate control), setup my macros and punch-throughs, test, and have it just the way I wanted it. By far, the biggest chunk of that time was pre-planning and testing the macros ... getting timings, etc., just the way I wanted them for rock-solid reliability.

Well, I got my MX-500 a few days ago and I must say I'm impressed! This thing learned everything on the first try without any glitches (except when I accidently learned a few things to the wrong key, but that was my error - easily corrected).
I agree. I spent a lot of time pre-planning and setting up my macros so they work no matter what screwed up state my components may be in. On, off, wrong inputs, volume muted, analog input selected when I wanted optical, etc. You could call these macros "activity based" like the Harmony I guess. I want to watch an HDDVD, I push and hold HDDVD for one second. Appropriate devices are powered up, inputs changed, etc. so it's all ready to go. If for some reason things didn't turn out perfectly (maybe somebody walked in front of the remote when it was transmitting the macro?) then all you have to do is run the HDDVD macro a second time. The macro works no matter what unknown state the system may be in. It fixes it. Isn't that what the Harmony "help" button is supposed to do? (I don't have a Harmony, so I'm asking.)

The only slightly tricky thing I had to do in the macros was take in account delays in certain components. e.g., my TV takes a while to power up and will not accept further commands for a few seconds after initial power on. So you just setup you macro to turn on the TV, go off and mess with other components, and then come back to the TV later. I could have added delays in the macros to accomplish the same results, but why not make use of the TVs wait time to accomplish other tasks?

This MX-500 is really slick! I thought it was exceptionally easy and intuitive to program. It took me about two hours to edit button labels, learn every command from six different components (I didn't use preprogrammed codes because I wanted ultimate control), setup my macros and punch-throughs, test, and have it just the way I wanted it. By far, the biggest chunk of that time was pre-planning and testing the macros ... getting timings, etc., just the way I wanted them for rock-solid reliability.

Congratulations! Your experience pretty much mirrors my own. My initial effort has been rewarded a thousand times over. There is nothing like having a powerful well built remote without compromises or gimmicks, I will never settle for anything less again!

NightRyder

I'm looking for a remote for my mom. She has a Dish Network 625 receiver, which is in another room - she uses the TV2 RF remote, a TV and a DVD player. She gets confused by all the inputs and remotes. So, what I'm looking for is something simple to use that I can set up for her so she can press "watch DVD" and have it switch the inputs, etc. then when she's done press "watch TV" and have it switch back to the TV. The issue is she's using the RF remote for the Dish box.

What remote would you suggest for her?

If for some reason things didn't turn out perfectly (maybe somebody walked in front of the remote when it was transmitting the macro?) then all you have to do is run the HDDVD macro a second time. The macro works no matter what unknown state the system may be in. It fixes it. Isn't that what the Harmony "help" button is supposed to do? (I don't have a Harmony, so I'm asking.)
No, that's what activity buttons do. If you press "Watch HDDVD" button again, it will try to set all states and inputs automatically.

The Help button on Harmony remote does more than that. It too tries to recover everything automatically, but if this doesn't work (say, some of your components do not have discrete codes only toggle buttons, and somehow got out of sync), the Help button brings up a wizard-like menu to the LCD display which will ask simple yes/no questions like "Is the TV on?" By answering a few questions and following simple instructions anyone can recover very quickly. This works well even if the equipment doesn't have discrete codes. This is very helpful for people who are not very experienced with programming remotes and do not understand the complexity of the A/V setup, like kids, and some friends and relatives.

Programming is another area where Harmony shines. No need to spend a lot of time learning IR codes, hunting for discrete codes, programming and then troubleshooting your macros. Simply run the Configuration Wizard on your computer, answer simple questions and you are ready to go in several minutes. Not happy with the result - quickly remap the buttons, add custom buttons, etc. - all through a nice easy to use wizard-like user interface on your computer (which, by the way was significantly improved in the past few months). Again, no need to learn any IR codes - they are already present in the huge on-line Harmony's database.

The fact that Harmony remembers the state of all your components, is a huge help in situations when there are no discrete codes (for example, some Toshiba components don't have discrete codes: you have to toggle through inputs and states). But it also makes switching from one activity to another much quicker. Say, if you are switching from watching TV to watching DVD, Harmony knows that the TV and your receiver are already on, so it won't have to send the power-on commands, and will only switch the inputs, which makes for a much shorter IR command sequence.

When you are programming macros with other remotes you need to take into account the start-up time for each component, adjust the sequence and timing accordingly, etc. Harmony does all that for you and hides all the complexity without restricting your options.

I am not saying that Harmony is the best choice for everyone, but I am simply explaining some of its unique benefits. ;)

I am not saying that Harmony is the best choice for everyone, but I am simply explaining some of its unique benefits. ;)
It sounds like Harmony is a good choice for those not technically inclined, or those who prefer not to mess with setup very much. The fact that you have to plug it in to a PC to program anything on it might be a barrier to the REALLY technically disinclined, but those folks wouldn't do very good at learning commands from existing remotes or creating macros either.

My choice of the MX-500 was first and formost based on its button layout, and the ability to use those buttons by feel in the dark (except for the dynamic LCD-based buttons of course). Ease of programming was no where near as important to me as flexibility and customization. Although I did find it very easy to program anyway ... but I am technically inclined (sometimes!) However, I will admit that my parents would not have been able to program the MX-500 (or the Harmony either, for that matter!)

And explained them well.

Once you get into a class of remotes like the Harmony, that program easily and "know" the state all the equipment is in, it is hard to go back to "dumb" remotes. It's just too easy with a high quality remote.

I will point out one thing, though. There is another decision to be made. Remotes generally fall into two categories: Hard button and Touchscreen.

Some folks just prefer the large book size remote with a big screen they can touch and work thru. These folks generally need space for such a remote, and money. :p;)

PS- You don't HAVE to program the Harmony via a PC- it's just so darned easy to do so. Pick your equipment from a list, and you're almost done! But it will "learn" from IR remotes. Or some of both methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts