What upgrade offers should I be able to get?

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
About to call dishmover to move back home to a new home in SC. I used Dishmover when I moved to Nashville from Mass, things went well the first time.

I am a 10 year customer
Americas 250 with HD
Leased 622
owned 501 and 2 301s
At present only the 622 is active.

What should I expect or hold out for to go from the 622 to the 922.
If I want a 922 and a 722k will they upgrade any of the owned units if they are not currently active?

Let me know what any of you guys got.

Thanks,

John

I will say this much, I have not heard of anybody getting a 922 for anything less than $200 and since the 722/722k is getting upgraded to the point where it has a lot of the functionality that the 922 has I'm not so sure if it's worth it. Insofar as to how much you'll pay the easiest way to find out is to call and ask.

Any particular reason why you need a 922?

Currently 922 supports only 1 TV plus sling (scuttlebutt says 722k with sling adapter is cheaper and better).

922 costs you $200 lease fee up front plus DVR fee is $10 instead of $6 per month for less functionality than 722k at present.

I am waiting for the 922 to be fully implemented before I even consider it, and believe you me - I was an early adopter of the 622.

I got one ASAP in February 2006, I believe it was, but the 922 has nothing that I need.

I have an SD slingbox connected to my ViP211 and it works very well inside my house and it works acceptably outside because my internet service is only 500k upload - I'd need upload speeds that no one offers in my area to sling HD off site.

I'm not trying to discourage people from getting the 922, just making sure that the rose colored glasses are off.

If you want one and it does what you want - go for it.

I do see people who have them being disappointed because of lack of promised features and lack of TV2 output except by sling to a PC.

I like the GUI of the 922 and would rather have the sling built in then have another connection to a device. I'm not to concrened about the functionality as I don't expect to use the sling much and don't need it to drive another TV. I also feel that with softwre upgrades it will gain more funtionality.

I called and I guess they are consistant $200.00 for the upgrade of an old 501 and they are upgrading my 622 to a 722K for no charge.

I like the GUI of the 922 and would rather have the sling built in then have another connection to a device. I'm not to concrened about the functionality as I don't expect to use the sling much and don't need it to drive another TV. I also feel that with softwre upgrades it will gain more funtionality.

I called and I guess they are consistant $200.00 for the upgrade of an old 501 and they are upgrading my 622 to a 722K for no charge.

I'm actually in the same boat as you - I have a 622, currently out of contract, and looking for upgrade options. I do use the TV2 feature of my 622, but I heard the 922's new software update will enable that - although I haven't heard any confirmations yet of people receiving this update, so we'll see. Although I rather have the Sling Extender - but I guess that's not happening.

So assuming 922 gets the update, here are the two options I'm looking at right now:

Option #1:
ViP 922 - $200
TOTAL: $200

Option #2:
ViP 722k - FREE
Sling Adapter - $100
Google TV - $180
TOTAL: $280

The good thing about option 1 is it would be cheaper and is only 1 box to deal with (instead of 3). As for the GUI I don't have an hands-on experience with either of them, but I'm thinking the Google TV UI would be better then the 922's.

Plus I have more confidence in Android & Google TV's developers then Dish's to make their UI's better in the future. The best thing for the 922 would be if they built-in Android/Google TV in their future software - maybe they have that planed.

As for the Sling, from what I've heard people are saying it works much better with the external Sling Adapter then the 922's built-in.

I'm still on the fence with which way I go - hoping to hear reviews of the 922's new software update first before deciding.

Last edited:
I'm actually in the same boat as you - I have a 622, currently out of contract, and looking for upgrade options. I do use the TV2 feature of my 622, but I heard the 922's new software update will enable that - although I haven't heard any confirmations yet of people receiving this update, so we'll see. Although I rather have the Sling Extender - but I guess that's not happening.

So assuming 922 gets the update, here are the two options I'm looking at right now:

Option #1:
ViP 922 - $200
TOTAL: $200

Option #2:
ViP 722k - FREE
Sling Adapter - $100
Google TV - $180
TOTAL: $280

The good thing about option 1 is it would be cheaper and is only 1 box to deal with (instead of 3). As for the GUI I don't have an hands-on experience with either of them, but I'm thinking the Google TV UI would be better then the 922's.

Plus I have more confidence in Android & Google TV's developers then Dish's to make their UI's better in the future. The best thing for the 922 would be if they built-in Android/Google TV in their future software - maybe they have that planed.

As for the Sling, from what I've heard people are saying it works much better with the external Sling Adapter then the 922's built-in.

I'm still on the fence with which way I go - hoping to hear reviews of the 922's new software update first before deciding.

Good idea on the wait. As for the google box I highly recommend one ,but not necessarily the monthly $4.00 DISH fee. I got a google box without the DISH fee by getting one as a gift. Using the 722k dvr as my receiver in the set up ,even though I have a 922 for now, it works with the keyboard and controls the receiver just fine. The only thing it doesn't do with out the integration fee to DISH, is to index the vod movies in the search feature as well as be able to set timers from the search features. I can do the timers from the receiver itself. As for the vod movies, I don't care to buy from DISH anyway. They are the highest in the industry. On that same note , I bought a pay per view from Amazon.com using the google box and it was in hd and the quality was great. Same using netflix hd videos. " Auntie Mame" movie from the 1950s looks razor sharp and much better than on DISH hd channels. Using the play on application I already had, I can watch Hula.com as well through my google box.

Good idea on the wait. As for the google box I highly recommend one ,but not necessarily the monthly $4.00 DISH fee. I got a google box without the DISH fee by getting one as a gift. Using the 722k dvr as my receiver in the set up ,even though I have a 922 for now, it works with the keyboard and controls the receiver just fine. The only thing it doesn't do with out the integration fee to DISH, is to index the vod movies in the search feature as well as be able to set timers from the search features. I can do the timers from the receiver itself. As for the vod movies, I don't care to buy from DISH anyway. They are the highest in the industry. On that same note , I bought a pay per view from Amazon.com using the google box and it was in hd and the quality was great. Same using netflix hd videos. " Auntie Mame" movie from the 1950s looks razor sharp and much better than on DISH hd channels. Using the play on application I already had, I can watch Hula.com as well through my google box.

Nice - since you have both boxes, which would you recommend right now if you could have one: 722k/Sling Adapter/Google TV or 922

Nice - since you have both boxes, which would you recommend right now if you could have one: 722k/Sling Adapter/Google TV or 922

The 722k /Google tv of course. I can not personally recommend the sling adapter since I don't have one yet. But others can chime in on how good it works. I can not honestly recommend the 922 right now. It is not ready for prime time and it has a built in $4.00 extra fee that you can not avoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)