What went Wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyrate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I’ve always been a fan of Directv and find them to be innovative company that at one point of time really cared about there customer and the service they provide to them. I been with DTV for probably 6 years now, when I brought my first house, the first thing I brought was a new HD-Directv system ($600). Directv promptly sent an installer to install my new system, the install was done so poorly that I had threaten them with a lawsuit when the DTV antenna fell off my roof because the installer didn’t properly seal it and wood around the antenna mount rotted away. It took me a year of fighting with DTV reps and filling out paperwork to collect on $250 the cost to fix the hole in my roof. Not to mention because the wood was slowly rotting away the antenna kept moving downward and I kept my losing signal, this went on for a little over a year. I had Directv installers come out on three different occasions to realign the antenna before the damn thing finally fell off. The problems were so erratic and came up so frequently that I finally caved in and got the DTV protection plan, which I now is believe is another worthless piece of paper offer to Directv customers. My dog chewed up one remote and my kid’s accidentally (supposedly!) drop one in the toilet. Neither incident apparently qualifies for free replacement under the protection plan. My Sammy HD box crap the bed, I get in return a old H10 refurbish box that doesn’t have the same features as the Samsung (ex..DVI connection, Games, better HD picture, better off-satellite HD reception, 3 separate inputs (antenna, cable, and satellite (which I happen to have all three in my house and I actually use all three signals) the H10 only has 2 inputs ( antenna and satellite))), I know some of you may say that’s petty but when you’re dropping $600 on a box and paying another 5.99 a month for the pasted three years to protect that box, you expect to get something as comparable or what I perceive as comparable but apparently not DTV. Just want what the protection plan mandated:

“Advanced Product Replacement and Repair: At our option, We may repair or replace a remote control or receiver by utilizing shipping and delivery services at our expense. If We determine a replacement receiver is required We will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features to the location where You receive DIRECTV programming. We will also provide for return shipping of the defective unit. Should You fail to return the defective unit, charges for the unreturned unit would apply”.

I also got down with that deal buy TIVO for $100 and turn in $100 rebate and the TIVO is free, Right! I got mines in early November turn in the rebate that same week. I called late January asking for an update on the rebate status, there response was; “we have no record of receiving your rebate, but our system have been slowed down from the over load of rebate requested.” So give us another 2 two weeks if you haven’t received it by then we will credit your account. I waited another month before called again (yesterday). Here was there response “We have no records of the rebate being submitted please resend and wait another 8 weeks and if you still haven’t received your check please give us a call.” Nice!! The rep also said she would be e-mailing me the rebate form again, I still haven’t received it. If any of you don’t believe me please feel free to search the forum for my name, I’ve been here about year or two and I’ve only made about six posts which all chronicle my misfortunate mishaps with DTV. Believe me when I say, I don’t consider myself a hard or difficult man to deal with, in fact I think that’s why my a** has been step all over by Directv. The prices keep going up and service keeps getting worse.

Don’t get me wrong of course DTV has thrown there standard sorry for the inconvenience package at me (3 months of HBO for $2 and 6 months Showtime for free) but I’m lucky if I or should I say Showtime is lucky, if I watch 20 minutes of Showtime in a month, worse pay channel on the face of the earth it should always be free I don’t think it would improve there ratings any but they need to do something with that network they are crashing and burning a slow death. I’ve asked Directv to take there H10 back either replace it with another Samsung or credit me back $200 for the box and credit me $100 for the TIVO rebate and at the time they a had $200 rebate on there HD/HD TIVO receivers, you add it all together $500, the cost of HD TIVO box, so I asked them to send me one and we will call it square, I didn’t asked for any other free services, just that. There response was to have someone call me back and offer to sell me the same H10 box but new for $200 and they will send a rebate form for $200 and then a check will be sent out in 6 to 8 weeks upon reception of the form. What do you think I said? Anyway I’ve vented and I know it probably won’t help but my therapist will be proud of me!!

Directv I’m really disappointed, Thanks for nothing!!!

Sincerely,
Ty_Rate

Last edited:
You need to contact retention and lay out the situation. You should be taken care of. With all the give aways they make for new customers, I would hope they would make you happy. You are they type of customer they want in the first place.

Unfortunatly the direction that DirecTV has taken is to stifle competition in features in favor of a "single" interface and with the pencil necks trying to squeeze every penny they have eliminated so many features to get a lower cost per unit.

I feel ya, try to see what's on next weeks episode of your favorite show. Sammy, hit guide, green button, and skip ahead 24 hours at a time, takes 6 seconds. H10, hit guide, green button and skip ahead all of an hour and a half at a time, 48 seconds.

Here's another with both boxes, search by name, say Napoleon dynamite...
Sammy- 31 seconds from pushing the blue button, inputting NAP, tab to napoleon dynamite, select and search, it's on tomorrow at 12:30.

DuhhrecTV H10- Menu, find by, title, NAP, 46 seconds later you see napoleon dynamite, select and search, at 58 seconds it says no program found. The H10 takes twice as long to NOT find a program that's on 21 hours in the future.

The Sammy is 3 years old, the H10 is 6 months old.

This explains DirecTV's strategy to cheapen their products as much as possible. When a 3 yr old processor outperforms a 6 month old processor by 100% to 800%, while the 3 year old device has superior functionality is a disgrace.

In what other industry can a companies products perform so poorly as compared to past generations and they tout theor superiority? The only comparison I can remotly draw is DELL. DELL's computers may be faster, but their Joseph Goebbels propaganda about "award winning customer service" (awards from before they outsourced all customer service, sometime in the 1990's) sounds like DirecTV's touting their superior technology.

Rant over, been with DirecTV (with HD) for 6 years, but I won't upgrade to their INFERIOR Direc branded equipment until their new IRD's can hold a candle to the Samsung/LG HD receivers.

projectorsrule said:
Unfortunatly the direction that DirecTV has taken is to stifle competition in features in favor of a "single" interface and with the pencil necks trying to squeeze every penny they have eliminated so many features to get a lower cost per unit.

I feel ya, try to see what's on next weeks episode of your favorite show. Sammy, hit guide, green button, and skip ahead 24 hours at a time, takes 6 seconds. H10, hit guide, green button and skip ahead all of an hour and a half at a time, 48 seconds.

Here's another with both boxes, search by name, say Napoleon dynamite...
Sammy- 31 seconds from pushing the blue button, inputting NAP, tab to napoleon dynamite, select and search, it's on tomorrow at 12:30.

DuhhrecTV H10- Menu, find by, title, NAP, 46 seconds later you see napoleon dynamite, select and search, at 58 seconds it says no program found. The H10 takes twice as long to NOT find a program that's on 21 hours in the future.

The Sammy is 3 years old, the H10 is 6 months old.

This explains DirecTV's strategy to cheapen their products as much as possible. When a 3 yr old processor outperforms a 6 month old processor by 100% to 800%, while the 3 year old device has superior functionality is a disgrace.

In what other industry can a companies products perform so poorly as compared to past generations and they tout theor superiority? The only comparison I can remotly draw is DELL. DELL's computers may be faster, but their Joseph Goebbels propaganda about "award winning customer service" (awards from before they outsourced all customer service, sometime in the 1990's) sounds like DirecTV's touting their superior technology.

Rant over, been with DirecTV (with HD) for 6 years, but I won't upgrade to their INFERIOR Direc branded equipment until their new IRD's can hold a candle to the Samsung/LG HD receivers.

I agree with you on the LG-3200a, a great receiver. Too bad they did not make it
with the new 5th generation chip in it. I had a Sammy 360. It really sucked, very
glitchy. D* replaced it with the LG. Boy, what a difference it made!

I know there have been some buggy 360's but ours does well, and the 2 160's hum right along without a hitch. Too bad the used 3200's command such a premium.

Dell has been selling "new" computers with used/refab parts in them for 10 years. It is common practice with Dell. I would NEVER buy a Dell.

TYRATE, I feel for you and all the others that D* has abused already.
And as PROJECTORSRULES said the customer nowadays is just a cost figure to them. D* started out so great and now they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Trouble is they don't communicate and thus each department keep shooting each other in the foot. Wonder how long it will take before they have no feet left?

I agree, customer satisfaction use to be a priority with D*. Can you imagine if there was no competition for cust. service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)