What will Dish look like a Year from Now.

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
I know that answering this question requires a lot of speculation and assumptions (ie, Sats going up and working as scheduled), but what do you think Dish will look like in a year?

A few more hd channels, potentialy all local markets brought onboard, another price increase of $3 - $6 per package, further dismantling of employee benefits so Charlie can wipe his back side with $100 bills instead of $50's, 129 still in use an no information on when it will be replaced.

Go to the pub and you will get a really GOOD idea what is suppose to happen within a year.:)

One thing is for sure - I'll still be a Dish customer a year from now.
The other option is not an option for me. Been there, done that, still hurts to sit down.

It's a long, sad story. Some night after I've had a few Single Malts I'll tell it over in the pub.

Let's speculate.

By Feb. 2009, E* should have (barring any new launch delays) 3 new sats in place, AMC-14 at 61.5, E11 at 110 and Ciel-2 at 129. Probably will have moved E3 and either E6 or E8 to 86.5 for the startup of the new mpeg4 service. Probably will have equaled D* in true national HD channels. Have close to 100 HD LIL's on line. Made some type of deal with TIVO to make that nonsense go away. Announced an upgrade plan for the switch from mpeg2 to mpeg4.

Just my thoughts for the upcoming year.

Let's speculate.

By Feb. 2009, E* should have (barring any new launch delays) 3 new sats in place, AMC-14 at 61.5, E11 at 110 and Ciel-2 at 129. Probably will have moved E3 and either E6 or E8 to 86.5 for the startup of the new mpeg4 service. Probably will have equaled D* in true national HD channels. Have close to 100 HD LIL's on line. Made some type of deal with TIVO to make that nonsense go away. Announced an upgrade plan for the switch from mpeg2 to mpeg4.

Just my thoughts for the upcoming year.

Don't forget about 77w too. Where's that Dish 1200?

A year from now, E* will look a lot like D*. You might need some big 5-LNB dish to get everything. And the leapfrog game will continue for the foreseeable future.

In 1 year... They will "invent" the Frequency Delivery Fee, and charge everyone an additional $10.00 fee. But they will gladly waive this fee if you sign up for credit card auto bill, which will carry it's own $10.00 Convienence Fee.

In 1 year... They will "invent" the Frequency Delivery Fee, and charge everyone an additional $10.00 fee. But they will gladly waive this fee if you sign up for credit card auto bill, which will carry it's own $10.00 Convienence Fee.
+1

They are good at changing fees around to get them no matter what ;)

In 1 year from now they will hopefully have MSG-HD,FSNY-HD & Speed-HD or they will not have me as a member

Sorry about the length of this post but maybe some of my speculation will give Dish some good ideas.

Dish will use the 61.5 W for an all MPEG-4 service/package in the eastern U.S. after the succesful launch of AMC-14 in March. This maybe started in the third or fourth quarter of 2008 to allow for the migration of internationals off of 61.5 W. Dish will use 7 - 9 of E-12's TPs for spotbeams to provide HD locals. The double power capability of AMC-14 will allow Dish to reduce the error correction and put more channels per TP. Dish will be able to mix SD and HD channels on each TP since they'll all be in MPEG-4 allowing Dish to offer 150 - 180 national HD channels and still provide all the SD channels it currently does. Realize that there won't be a need to carry the SD version of a HD channel that is duplicated now so the number of SD channels will be quite a bit less. The E-3 satellite will be moved to 77 W where it will provide HD locals to some of the smaller cities in the southeast U.S. avoiding any conflict with the Canadian DBS slot at 82 W. Dish will come out with a modified D1000 dish to get both 61.5 and 77 W.

With the succesful launch of the E-11 satellite to 110 W, Dish will move the E-6 satellite to 129 W prior to the Ciel-2 satellite launch and the E-8 satellite to 119 W. I'll come back to what happens at 119 and 129 W later. The triple power of the E-11 satellite will allow Dish to significantly reduce the error correction allowing more channels per TP. For example, instead of 12 SD channels per TP, Dish will be able to do 16 SD channels per TP. This will free up enough TPs at 110 W that Dish will be able to move a large number of SD channels from 119 W to 110 W. This will allow Dish to use some of the spotbeam capabilities of E-8 at the 119 W slot for HD locals. Dish will be able to put 9 or 10 HD channels per TP on the couple of TPs used for HD now at 110 W with the triple power capability of the E-11 satellite.

The succesful launch of the Ciel-2 satellite in late 2008 will allow Dish to offer an all MPEG-4 service to the western part of the U.S. Dish will have use of all 32 TPs at 129 W and 12 TPs will be used for spotbeams. The rest will be high powered CONUS TPs. Dish will put the HD locals for some of the smaller cities out west on 148 W and perhaps come out with a modified D1000 dish to get both 129 and 148 W. The E-6 satellite will either help Ciel-2 at 129 W or perhaps be moved to 148 W to augment/replace E-1 and E-2. If it is used to augment Ciel-2 at 129 W, it can be operated in double power mode on 16 TPs.

Notice that I haven't mentioned the 86.5 W slot. Dish will eventually either abandon it or perhaps use it for a Mexican service because of the interference problems with the two Canadian DBS slots at 82 and 91 W. Dish instead will develop its reverse DBS slots in 2009.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)